Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 500e
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if it is a good or not to run the battery most/all of the way down once in a while?

My daily commute uses 20-25% I normally only got 2 days and recharge just so ready if the need arises to do something after work. Rarely get under 50% charge.

I have 2x now made a point to schedule and bring it down as close to zero as I can get it, hoping for under 5% tonight.

Is that good, bad, does not matter?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 500e
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I def won't leave it there, it will charge to full tonight. Just thought maybe was a good idea once in a while. This would be second time in a year to go this low.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
4,442 Posts
...is good or not to run the battery most/all of the way down
Given only those two options, the closest answer would be "not good"....

I have 2x now made a point to schedule and bring it down...
If you want to make a point of being extra-good to your HV battery, apparently it's better to avoid going below 20% or charging over 80%, at least for extended periods.

However, it's best to take it to 100% once in a while, since that's the only way to "balance" all 97 cells to the same voltage, which is supposedly good for them.

Is that good, bad, does not matter?
With that 3rd option added, then "does not matter" becomes the closest answer, with nearly all user reports matching @rucallingmefiat with no significant range loss at 80-100k miles, regardless of charging/driving habits.

There is one "good" thing about going BELOW 0%, but you really don't need it: It will recalibrate the low end of your car's % gauge (click here for that post). However with your short commute it really doesn't matter if your gauge is wrong.

As @Kiesling noted, don't leave it really low. It's the best way to kill an EV completely dead: click here for that post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts