Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4-year 500e owner, brand new to a $17 Konnwei KW902 scanner & free AlfaOBD app. So far I've only used them to check & monitor HV batt health, & they seem to work fine, but there are quite a few steps to get the app started each time:

In Short:

• Car charging, or "on".
  • Plug OBD, power it up, start app before of after that, & hit its Bluetooth icon.
  • 1st time only: hit "Fiat", "500E", & "BATTERY MANAGEMENT"
  • "SELECT CONTROL UNIT"
  • "Battery Pack Control Module Var.2"
  • "CONNECT"
  • "Duracell" icon
  • "READ SYSTEM STATUS"
  • "OK" (when it shows "OBD interface failure")

Detail Version:

• The car must be either charging or with the key "on", but there's no need to "start" it.
  • Plug in the scanner & press the power button. I left mine plugged in once when driving, & everything seemed fine, so I just left it there, since it seems okay to just leave it in, at least with its power off, as long as nobody kicks it getting in or out.
  • I initially didn't add it to my phone's Bluetooth paired devices list, but it took at least 3 more steps each time*.
  • You can start the app before or after turning on the device.
  • You need to hit the Bluetooth symbol each time, to connect, & wait for it to show "connected" before proceeding. *I initially didn't pair the device to my phone, so each time I had to hit "OTHER DEVICES", scroll down through any "null" devices, & click "KONNWEI". If it ever asks for a password it's 1234.
  • Once you select "Fiat", "500E", & "BATTERY MANAGEMENT" (or presumably any other selection there) it remembers those for next time, but you have to "SELECT CONTROL UNIT" each time (in my case, "Battery Pack Control Module Var.2", as recommended by Ironhydroxide). After selecting V.2 you have to click "CONNECT", then the little "Duracell" icon at the bottom, then "READ SYSTEM STATUS", & when it shows "OBD interface failure" I just hit "OK" & it still seems to work fine since it shows a LOT of data, some of which has changed appropriately with subsequent uses.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that I have the procedure down pat I can do it fairly quickly, & doing a quick check just now I forgot to insert the key, & it worked! I had just unlocked & opened the driver's door, & the display was still lit by the time I got the reading I was looking for, so apparently there's a window of opportunity with enough systems running for a half a minute or so after unlocking &/or opening, without requiring turning the key on. This may save the HV contacts from an extra cycle every time I want to use OBD.

It wouldn't have worked if I hadn't also forgotten to turn the Konnwei off, & contrary to it's specs, it does NOT turn itself off due to inactivity. I left it all weekend once & on Monday it was still on! However it seems to use little power, since my 6-year old 12V still got it started fine then & ever since.

·
Registered
10 Posts

It wouldn't have worked if I hadn't also forgotten to turn the Konnwei off, & contrary to it's specs, it does NOT turn itself off due to inactivity. I left it all weekend once & on Monday it was still on! However it seems to use little power, since my 6-year old 12V still got it started fine then & ever since.
I had my battery drained on my smart fortwo MHD by the Konnwei (wi-fi) when the car was not used for a ~week. The smart has a beefy 60Ah battery for the start-stop.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reminding me to add that I have the Konnwei with bluetooth, & THAT part of it might have shut itself down due to inactivity or when my phone got out of range or I turned ITS bluetooth off to save batt. Regardless, best to turn off OBD tool when done.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I accidentally discovered that you get RESTING 12V voltage on an OBD scan IF you do it without the key or charger, right after opening/closing the driver's door. If you aren't quite quick enough, just open & close the door again, & again hit "READ SYSTEM STATUS". That function is active (red color instead of grey) if it didn't finish reading the first time. About 2 pages down on my phone screen AlfaOBD shows "System (12) Volts: xx.xx V"

Mine reads:
12.08V after resting overnight (a sign it's ready to die but I've been carrying a little Li-ion jumpstarter for years now)
12.40 right after shut-down (should be at least 12.5-12.6 but mine is over 6.5 years old)
14.06 with the key on or "started" (because that charges it off the HV batt)
14.30 when the car is on charge (because that also charges the 12V)

Unnecessary details:
OBD will give readings during any ONE of these options:
  • The car is charging.
  • The key is "on".
  • The motor has been "started" ("ready" displayed).
  • The driver's door has recently been closed.
The first 3 all supply over 14V, charging the 12V, so you can't measure its resting voltage.
The 4th option (WITHOUT any of the first 3) doesn't charge the 12V, giving resting voltage.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's an ordered sequence of screenshots showing how to connect to battery pack data, after which just SWIPE LEFT & touch "READ SYSTEM STATUS". Sometimes you have to cycle the transmitter &/or the app off/on (or unplug/plug if there's no switch):

Touch BlueTooth Icon.jpg Touch Konnwei.jpg Touch Select Control Unit.jpg Touch Batt Var2.jpg Touch Connect.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for this! Sure helps out for those on the first go around with it.
Just tried mine again and it keeps asking for the Konnwei PIN. My Konnwei didn't come with instructions or a PIN. Has it ever done this for you?

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
359 Posts
Mine shows 12.84v after left over night (checking via multimeter with hood unlatched) I would surmise it’s still healthy? (Not charging or doors ever opened)

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
359 Posts
Can you recommend a cheap Andriod device to read the scanner? I bought a Konnwei scanner but we are an Apple family. All Mac's - all the time. Thanks.
Nearly any cheap one works, you can get a cheap subsidized prepaid burner phones ones like off Best Buy a Motorola E4 for like $40 any carrier of choice, you don’t even have to activate it.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Someone said Amazon has $15 Androids that work. Also ask your friends. If they're anything like me & my Apple friends, we often don't get round to donating our old ones, or we keep at least one as a backup in case of breakage/loss, so we wouldn't mind lending until needed (knowing it's always readily avail. in your glovebox).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Someone said Amazon has $15 Androids that work. Also ask your friends. If they're anything like me & my Apple friends, we often don't get round to donating our old ones, or we keep at least one as a backup in case of breakage/loss, so we wouldn't mind lending until needed (knowing it's always readily avail. in your glovebox).
Thanx

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you are looking for state of health values, then yes that is what you want to see. Your values look pretty typical. How accurate they are is up for debate, but those values look reasonable to me.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good guess Abe, but just fyi, here are a few examples of user's SOH-C reports:

Only 69.02% after just 16,497 mi.
90% at 11,338mi, & another at 31,432mi.
99.61 at 39,330

This is why I write stuff like above "quite clearly untrustworthy data".

The good news is that our batteries' real-world range-retention seems great, regardless of those possibly-misleading numbers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts