Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a former Abarth owner and thinking about getting another one.

Are there any differences between a North American 2012 through 2019 Abarth in any way, and if so, what year(s) should I consider?

What are the differences between the North American Abarth 500, and the European 595 and 695 models?

Can a North American 500 be upgraded to that of either a 595 or 695 model? They are said to have the same core 1.4 L engines but are available up to 180 HP.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Consider a 2013+. Some improvements over the 2012 such as stronger A-arms.

You can get a tune for your Abarth; I had mine dyno-tuned by Tork Motorsports in Auburn, WA, after I installed all my mods; I have 201hp at the wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Consider a 2013+. Some improvements over the 2012 such as stronger A-arms.

You can get a tune for your Abarth; I had mine dyno-tuned by Tork Motorsports in Auburn, WA, after I installed all my mods; I have 201hp at the wheels.
Thanks for the reply.
At 201 HP at the wheels, w/an estimated 15% power loss through the powertrain, that means you're putting out around 236 HP at the engine. Not bad.
That's w/just a Tune, or do you also have any hardware upgrades as well, such as a turbo, intercooler, coils, etc.?

What can the 1.4 L handle, stock?
Are the pistons forged, as well as the rods and crank?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Mods list:

Engine/Drivetrain/Performance: AAD short-throw shifter, ATM FMIC, GFB DV+ performance diverter valve, HPSI boost-retention valve (with custom mounting plate), EZ oil-drain valve, Magnaflow 15211 downpipe-back race exhaust, PTP lava turbo blanket, Tork 3" air intake, Tork OBD-II dyno tune (with launch control and throttle-response enhancement), Tork ported/ceramic-coated exhaust manifold, Tork ported/clipped/ceramic-coated turbo, Turbosmart WGA, vented hood (with Assetto Corsa carbon-fibre extractor vent, Assetto Corsa carbon-fibre NACA duct air intake, and removeable ACS Cavallino hood liner).

Chassis/Brakes/Suspension: Corsa Forza lower sub-frame brace, Hawk HPS 5.0 front brake pads, Koni Sport rear shocks (set to 2 half-turns), Lug Nut Guys wheel-stud conversion, Michelin PILOT Sport AS 4 205/40R17 summer tires, polyurethane-filled torque arm (80A durometer), RRM "Big Red" torsion bar, RRM chassis braces, Tork K-frame bushings, Zimmerman coated front rotors, Zonkered rear springs (2/3 coil).

Stock coil packs, stock downpipe, stock front suspension.

The Dyno tuning was done with an RRM 2.5" intake, stock exhaust, and stock WGA.

Not trying to have the fastest car; just a nice, quick, fun, reliable daily driver. Just got home from a 600 km loop run, with plenty of twisting curves. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After a lot of searching, I picked up a 2013 Abarth today.

It has 76K miles on it. I was looking for something w/less, which were available, but only through CarMax, and places that that, and even then, they were marked up quite a bit.

Front Red leather seats.
5 Speed M/T
It has some engine mods from Madness500, including their intake, and software.

The first thing I went and ordered were a replacement Left and Right Door Mirror Flag Cover Molding, which are all cracked and breaking apart on my Abarth.

Wheel Tire Car Sky Automotive tire

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Steering part

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went and had the engine oil/filter and the transmission oil changed, as well as had the engine coolant flushed and changed as well, today.

Looking underneath, w/the car up on a lift, there was an oil film on the bottom of the transmission. I was told that the engine valve cover had been leaking and that the gasket there was replaced, so hopefully that where the oil came from. I went and had it pressure washed and will check on it in a couple of weeks. Hopefully it was valve cover gasket.

There was also some loose grease under one of the right-side axle CV joints. The axle was just replaced, and was clearly new, so cleaned that up and will check on it in a couple of weeks as well. I would think that they would of cleaned the area up of the spun grease from the old axle.

I also plan to restore the engine intake to stock as well, at lease for the moment anyway.

While that passenger, as well as the rear leather seats are picture perfect, the driver's seat is showing some cracks. I went and bought some leather conditioner for that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts