Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few days, my Fiat has become difficult to downshift into first while driving. If stationary, the car runs through the gears fine. However, if I'm coming to a stop, fully engage the clutch, and attempt to put it into first, it is occasionally very difficult to do. I'm going to bring it into the dealer, but any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
148 Posts
In all of the manual cars I have ever owned, it was always difficult to put the car into first when it was still moving. If I am coming to a stoplight, I will wait until I've actually stopped to put it into first. Actually, I usually wait until the light turns green.

·
Registered
31 Posts
BlueEr is right. All vehicles are "difficult" to downshift into first if your vehicle is still in motion if you don't rev-match. You Must blip the gas to rev match in order to shift down into first smoothly. But, as a precautionary, your footwork with the clutch must be done right to minimize wear-and-tear on your tranny. Hope this helps~!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Actually it did. It's my first manual transmission car, so I'm glad I didn't bring it in demanding that something was wrong haha

·
Registered
825 Posts
Same with me, when I'm downshifting to slow/stop, once it's past second, I just coast and brake to a stop, then leave it in neutral and hold it still with the hand brake.

In all my sticks over the years, this is the first one that I need first gear in. Usually I could start from a dead stop in second, unless I was
pointed uphill.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
of all the manual cars/trucks I've owned, I've NEVER downshifted into 1st. not sure what the advantage is. more wear and tear on your trans and clutch. just d/s to 2nd and then pop it out of gear and use your brakes. much less expensive to replace brake pads than a clutch or gearbox. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
of all the manual cars/trucks I've owned, I've NEVER downshifted into 1st. not sure what the advantage is. more wear and tear on your trans and clutch. just d/s to 2nd and then pop it out of gear and use your brakes. much less expensive to replace brake pads than a clutch or gearbox. :)

Exactly. When I first learned to drive manual, everyone always told me that the only purpose of 1st gear is to get the car moving. Not for extended driving, not for slowing down, nothing except to get the momentum going.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sometimes, 1st is quite useful on some bends on Highway 1 in Cali during spirited drives. And, being from the Bay Area... certain hills in San Francisco will just slow your car down even in 2nd to a point where you NEED to know how to rev match (not double clutch, you're not driving an 18-wheeler) into first. I'd rather know how to ds into 1st than to stop on one of those grueling hills on Russian Hill, shift into 1st, then start again.

·
Registered
433 Posts
at over 5mph you shouldn't be able to shift into first. My girlfriend managed to force my old VW golf into first at speed, the RPMs howled in an attempt to tell me that manual transmissions are not for everyone. not for her, anyway.

·
Registered
614 Posts
at over 5mph you shouldn't be able to shift into first. My girlfriend managed to force my old vw golf into first at speed, the rpms howled in an attempt to tell me that manual transmissions are not for everyone. Not for her, anyway.
lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Exactly. When I first learned to drive manual, everyone always told me that the only purpose of 1st gear is to get the car moving. Not for extended driving, not for slowing down, nothing except to get the momentum going.
My Daddy always said to only shift into 1st when the car is at a complete stop. I've been doing that since then and going forward always will.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts