Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
500Madness has chrome bumpers for the North American Fiat 500 so I ordered them. What do you guys think about using epoxy vs. tape? Pros and cons either way? If anyone has any tips on exterior add-ons I'd love to hear them. This is my first time doing this type of thing. :D Thanks!

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
I'd use the tape. Epoxy will hold it on. If the parts, were ever damage. With expoxy it would be hard to get off, and damage the underlining paint. In a tube, there is a 3M automotive adhesive glue, in clear and yellow. Takes 24 hrs. to cure. Tape comes in all sizes and thickness.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd use the tape. Epoxy will hold it on. If the parts, were ever damage. With expoxy it would be hard to get off, and damage the underlining paint. In a tube, there is a 3M automotive adhesive glue, in clear and yellow. Takes 24 hrs. to cure. Tape comes in all sizes and thickness.

I'm leaning towards 3M automotive tape, I was concerned about the epoxy potentially damaging the paint underneath.

Just ordered this:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Company-Molding-03609Na-Automotive/dp/B001B0QC3M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1316113002&sr=1-1

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tape gets my vote, that stuff is the "tape of the gods" according to a guy I know that does PC mods. I use it for a few things and have been pretty happy with the results, one thing to consider is it may be affected by heat, I cannot say for certain however.
Awesome, thanks tweak, I live in SF so hot weather is not an issue. My chrome parts shipped today, can't wait to stick'em on!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just got my front chrome bumpers and I'm a little confused.

The 500madness site says they go over the current bumpers but there are these little tabs that stick out and don't snap into anything. There were no instructions on how to actually install these so I just wanted to get some opinions on how to do this. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the record this was not an easy process where you just use some epoxy and slap these things on, at least not for the Pop version. I don't know how it fits onto the lounge model but the tabs that are on the Chrome bits were a pain in the butt and had to go!

Luckily I have a good friend with a dremel. We sawed all of the tabs off and ground the nubs down to a smooth flush surface. Cleaned off the debris and chrome dust, applied a second strip of 3M automotive tape, and it stuck them right on top of the plain bumpers.

This is my second mod of all time.

fiatftw!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I guess that works, before the mod to the mod it certainly looked like they replaced and not went over the existing trim pieces.
I was kind of surprised they just went over the bumpers myself but I like how the chrome part closes the gap. Looks stock :)

3M double-sided automotive tape is the way to go if anyone is thinking about adding emblems or anything. The bumpers are on there like nobody's business.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I was kind of surprised they just went over the bumpers myself but I like how the chrome part closes the gap. Looks stock :)

3M double-sided automotive tape is the way to go if anyone is thinking about adding emblems or anything. The bumpers are on there like nobody's business.

Glad you got it sorted, with that 3M you shouldn't have any problems for a very long time, stuff is nothing short of amazing.

·
Vendor
730 Posts
Sorry about that. Since most of the stuff is new, many of our suppliers do not have all the different variations yet.

The parts you got are made by FIAT, but none of our providers even knew the details on installation. Hopefully you got our email regarding the tabs (it looks like you did).

There seems to be a difference between some of the Pop and Lounge Bumpers. No one knew, not even the dealers.

What you have to do if you are fitting the Chrome Trim on the Pop is dremmel off or grind off the tabs. Once you do that the new trim pieces will go in place and can be secured with Double Sided 3M tape or epoxy.

Again our apologies for the lack of instructions (FIAT does not provide any with the product). If in the future you or anyone else has a question about the part simply give us a buzz and we will be glad to assist you. The phone is always quicker then email.

Thanks again and glad you like the new look.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry about that. Since most of the stuff is new, many of our suppliers do not have all the different variations yet.

The parts you got are made by FIAT, but none of our providers even knew the details on installation. Hopefully you got our email regarding the tabs (it looks like you did).

There seems to be a difference between some of the Pop and Lounge Bumpers. No one knew, not even the dealers.

What you have to do if you are fitting the Chrome Trim on the Pop is dremmel off or grind off the tabs. Once you do that the new trim pieces will go in place and can be secured with Double Sided 3M tape or epoxy.

Again our apologies for the lack of instructions (FIAT does not provide any with the product). If in the future you or anyone else has a question about the part simply give us a buzz and we will be glad to assist you. The phone is always quicker then email.

Thanks again and glad you like the new look.
Actually I emailed you guys several times and you never got back to me. I eventually called and spoke with someone over the phone who asked me to email them directly but he never got back to me either. I did this purely on my own. Please update your online information regarding chrome bumper installation, it took me about 30 minutes of work with a dremel to make it look right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've ordered front and rear bumper chrome, and now I found out that the black part of the original rear bumper must come off, in addition to grinding the tabs of the new chrome parts. On another thread, someone said the 3M tape won't work on the rear bumper because there is not a tight enough fit between the original bumper and the chrome overlay.

If I had known there was this much work to it I would have left it all alone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.