Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just to let you know our bulbs arent specialized bulbs. they are the same as 9006 bulbs. Happy installing!

9012 HIR2 is nothing more than a 9006 with Halogen InfraRed technology. HIDs are easily twice as bright as these.

also, 5000K 35W looks FACTORY on our little Fiats. :D

i got mine from DDM tuning for 49 bucks shipped. Lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Yeah HID kits are nowhere near as expensive as they used to be. Years and years ago I spent almost $300 for a 7000K kit. Now you can purchase a solid kit for under $50.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I paid $100 flat for 6000K HID's, i think $100 is just about average for a good brand. I have seen them go for $65 for noname brands.

It's funny how now a HID kit is much cheaper than buying brighter halogen bulbs, and HID's obviously give you the better light output.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, just to let you know our bulbs arent specialized bulbs. they are the same as 9006 bulbs. Happy installing!

9012 HIR2 is nothing more than a 9006 with Halogen InfraRed technology. HIDs are easily twice as bright as these.

also, 5000K 35W looks FACTORY on our little Fiats. :D

i got mine from DDM tuning for 49 bucks shipped. Lifetime warranty.
So basically, I just choose the 9006 hid kit for our fiat500? Is it plug and play? thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
HID from canada

geting them on ebay for 30$ and they work great installed one on my bmw x3
3 years ago still works just ordered one for my fiat 500 free shipping also this is really cheap china xentec or else but cheap and works great

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I paid $66 for HIDs because I buck the system. It's what I do.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
geting them on ebay for 30$ and they work great installed one on my bmw x3
3 years ago still works just ordered one for my fiat 500 free shipping also this is really cheap china xentec or else but cheap and works great

Dad?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So basically, I just choose the 9006 hid kit for our fiat500? Is it plug and play? thanks
this is correct. I bought the 9006 kit and its plug and play good to go!

·
Registered
313 Posts
You should actually use 9005, they are slightly shorter than 9006 so they won't sit too close to the glass, you might see your projectors change color over time with the heat of the bulb so close.

Just a tip!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
only single filament bulbs are needed on our cars due to the High beam flapper. DDM has the slim ballasts for 45. Those look schweet too!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
only single filament bulbs are needed on our cars due to the High beam flapper. DDM has the slim ballasts for 45. Those look schweet too!
So, to make sure i understand you correctly, we don't need the Bixenon option? how about the other accessories ie: relay, harness, adapter cable and the error eliminator?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm not sure why you're not happy with the HIR bulb and projectors; the lights work great, better than most stock lighting on cars these days.

Besides, it's not legal or safe to do the conversion you're talking about.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No we do not need the Bi-Xenon option. there is a flapper in the projector the opens Here is a picture explaining how the high beams work.

As to the safety of this modification, These housings look to be the exact same as the european Bi-Xenon option. I could be wrong though. The cutoff is PERFECT as in straight as an arrow as if they were designed for Xenon lighting.

As for Laws and safety, here is NJ 39:3-50 Color of lights, permits; cancellation or revocation of permits; fee.

39:3-50. All lamps and reflectors, which display a light visible from directly in front of a vehicle as authorized by this subtitle, shall exhibit lights substantially white, yellow or amber in color.

(a)The color of light emitted or reflected by exterior lamps or reflectors on a vehicle shall be as follows, except as otherwise provided in paragraphs (b), (c) and (d) of this section:

White when the lamp is a headlamp, or spot lamp, or illuminates a license plate or a destination sign; or is located on the outside limit of a side car or other attachment on a motor cycle;

Substantially white or amber when the lamp is a side-cowl or fender lamp, running-board or other courtesy lamp, front parking lamp, back-up lamp, auxiliary driving lamp; or a turn signal on or facing the front;

Substantially red or amber when the lamp is a turn signal or a stop lamp on or facing the rear;

Red when any other lamp or any reflector is on the rear or on either side at or near the rear, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (f) of section 39:3-61 for a combination marker lamp;

Amber when any other lamp or reflector is on the front or on either side other than at or near the rear.

(b)Lamps and reflectors on projecting loads shall emit or reflect light with color as provided in section 10 of this act.

(c)No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any street or highway equipped with any device or lamp thereon capable of or displaying a light of any other color than permitted by this section, except: an authorized emergency vehicle, an authorized school bus, or a vehicle authorized by a permit issued by the chief administrator.

(d)A permit authorizing a vehicle to be equipped with a lamp capable of or displaying a flashing light, except as provided in 39:3-54 or a light of a color other than permitted by this section, visible from directly in front of said vehicle, may be issued by the director when necessary, in his discretion, for the reasonable and safe movement of traffic. The permit shall specify the type and color of such lamp and the conditions under which a person may drive or move the vehicle with said lamp displaying a light. The permit shall be valid only when the specifications and conditions contained therein are complied with. The chief administrator shall collect a $25 fee for the initial issuance and for each subsequent renewal of the permit for each vehicle for which the applicant seeks to use such a light, provided, however, that no fee shall be charged for a permit authorizing the use of a light that is red or blue. The fee set forth in this section shall not apply to a motor vehicle registered at no fee pursuant to R.S.39:3-27. The fees collected pursuant to this section shall be considered revenue of the commission and shall not be subject to the calculation of proportional revenue remitted to the commission pursuant to section 105 of P.L.2003, c.13 (C.39:2A-36).

The chief administrator may cancel or revoke a permit issued under authority of this section whenever the conditions for its issuance no longer exist or on any other reasonable grounds.

Amended 1951, c.24; 1964, c.136, s.3; 2007, c.242, s.5.

Where does it say HID retrofits are illegal or unlawful in vehicles previously equipped with standard halogen bulbs?

As for the ballast mounting, I was able to squeeze one ballast inside the radiator support bracket. the other side i mounted underneath the radiator support bracket.

·
Registered
475 Posts
As to the safety of this modification, These housings look to be the exact same as the european Bi-Xenon option. I could be wrong though.
You are.
ECE regulations are stricter in many respects than DOT and require a specific HID reflector to be used. Didn't you read my Daniel Stern link?

The cutoff is PERFECT as in straight as an arrow as if they were designed for Xenon lighting.
They weren't and a good cut-off isn't the entire scope of a headlight's design.

As for Laws and safety, here is NJ
NJ and every other state in the country (as well as Canada and Mexico) must conform to FMVSS Standard #108. Trust me; I've studied the living daylights out of this. A state may add stricter regs to the laws, but can't dilute them to suit themselves.
Briefly stated, you can swap bulbs, halogen for halogen, but not LED/HID for halogen ---- the reflectors weren't designed for it.
You may swap entire assemblies, legal ones for legal ones however; that was a new interpretation of an existing law in 2006 and gave me the legal leg to stand on for all the fiddling I did on my Jeep last year.

I'm not trying to be a troll, not trying to piss on your cheerios. I just think it's important that people know that this "mod" is illegal, can be caught, has been prosecuted (severely) in some jurisdictions, and isn't what I'd call a clever use of time or resources.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I think I'm going to order a kit today:)
Probably 6000k 35w, that's what I'm running on my Volvo.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts