Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,794 Posts
Same here (2013 w/ 21k mi), BUT look how much difference speed makes:

30 mile round trip in SoCal (longterm trip gauge shows 22mph) and I'd regularly have 70% battery when I got home* in winter (or summer - not much diff here: I'm able to nearly never use any heat or A/C)

*IF i charged to 100%. I try to only charge to 64% on the gauge (really about 60% of total capacity, due to built-in buffers), since even then the gauge only drops to 34%.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Same here (2013 w/ 21k mi), BUT look how much difference speed makes:

30 mile round trip in SoCal (longterm trip gauge shows 22mph) and I'd regularly have 70% battery when I got home* in winter (or summer - not much diff here: I'm able to nearly never use any heat or A/C)

*IF i charged to 100%. I try to only charge to 64% on the gauge (actually about 60%, due to built-in buffers), since even then the gauge only drops to 34%.
Out of curiosity, what is your mi/kW for your 22 mph 30 mile trip? I'm guessing it is around 5 or maybe even higher?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,794 Posts
21kWh is around the total usable capacity of a brand new 500e, due to its built-in protection buffers on its 24kWh batt.

Based on that & our batt cell's fairly linear lab test results, at a bit over 20k miles now my usable capacity is probably somewhere around 20.58 (2% loss)

·
Registered
210 Posts
21kWh is around the total usable capacity of a brand new 500e, due to its built-in protection buffers on its 24kWh batt.

Based on that & our batt cell's fairly linear lab test results, at a bit over 20k miles now my usable capacity is probably somewhere around 20.58 (2% loss)
It would be interesting to see how the usable capacity changes with a higher discharge rate. My guess is if you averaged 50 mph, your usable capacity would be lower. Obviously your range will be lower due to the lower mi/kW, but I expect at the higher discharge rate the effective capacity of the battery will be lower (I think this is where SOH-R comes into play).

·
Registered
155 Posts
My 2013 has around 45k miles on it. I can easily do 60 miles round trip in the Seattle winter, but I was getting 80 miles in the summer. I bought this one used from California.

Edit: Based on the thread with thread with the collected state of charges, it looks like you can that in aggregate, it looks like 25k miles is about 10% capacity if the weather is fairly moderate. Mine is at about 80% of original capacity.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,794 Posts
It would be interesting to see how the usable capacity changes with a higher discharge rate.
Ya, it would be interesting, & a possible partial or complete explanation for the 36% variation in my capacity readings, since I didn't record each trip's average speed

Capacity (usable AND total) of ANY battery is less at higher discharge rates.

I don't recall at what discharge rate the 24kWh 500e spec is taken.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our 2015 with 38,000 miles will make the 35 mile drive on two lane highway in the hills at 65 mph (portions at 70 or 75 mph) so there is not a long line of traffic trying to get around me. I'm a first responder so I know how many accidents there are on this highway. Heater on and 40 to 50 degrees outside. I arrive at destination with about 50% juice left. Juicebox 40 carried with me and plugged in at destination where we put the dedicated outlet. Hour and a half later, fully charged and ready to go home. We just got the car on New Years eve so it will be interesting to see how range improves in the spring.

Most of the time I have the juicebox app stop the charging at around 85%, but when other people use the car and plug it in, well it just goes to 100%. I wish there was some guidance from FCA, Siemens, Samsung about charging practices. I know that cycling from 100%, according to the lit should be bad, but also letting the pack get out of balance is bad too. What is the min/max time of charging for the cells to balance? does balancing of SOC take place whenever charging occurs or do you have to charge to a particular SOC for the cycle to complete?

I will just drive the car and enjoy it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You have to charge to 100% and let the charge finish to balance the cells. Time will depend on how out of balance they are.

With the Alfaobd app you can check the voltage of each cell.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,794 Posts
...35 mile... in the hills at 65 mph (portions at 70 or 75 mph)... Heater on and 40 to 50 degrees outside. I arrive at destination with about 50%...
So that would be 70 mile range at 65+ mph with heat, HOWEVER, ONE-WAY hills have an ENORMOUS effect on range.

Is that 1-way trip you described more down than up?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The elevation change from start to finish on the described 35 mile trip is only about 50 ft. We know the elevations because both the origination and destination are airports for which we have elevation figures. The discharge for the trip in each direction is not significantly different - maybe a couple of percent but who knows. From the gauge info - mpge, trip length and time it seems that our pack is at about 20.5 kwh at these January temps which I think is pretty good. Driving the 35 mph trip hard with heat - yeah, I could end up at 45% worse case when it is really cold

Alpha OBD (last I checked) showed that the cells were balanced within 12mV.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
773 Posts
Not to revive a old thread but anyone else have high mileage 500e's id lie to know how its doing, i just crossed 44k miles on my 2017 and its still doing great no noticeable loss in range.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
773 Posts
I'm at 48600 mi and no issues, Owned it since 24k miles and love it. (i define issues as something NOT general maintenance, 12v battery, tires, etc)
I bought mine in February 2020 w/ 21900 miles I’m hoping to see if I can rack up 150k at least. It’s been solid thus far…

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,794 Posts
80+ miles hopefully at a decent average speed on your trip gauge.

All range measurements depend greatly on speed, & will also be lower than the real range unless the % gauge has been recently calibrated by going PAST 0%, until the motor shuts itself off. However it seems that maybe just going TO zero periodically keeps it fairly accurate.

·
Registered
2013 500e
22 Posts
LOL this is cute, calling a car "high mileage" at these low numbers. My 500e was purchased at 30k, and the odometer now shows over 50k. The drive to town is 70miles round trip with an elevation change of 1200ft down to town. The car can make the full round trip, but I prefer charging in town. About half the drive is hilly, curvy country roads, the other half reasonably flat highway, where 70+mph is an average speed. The guess 0' meter says about 90 mile range after a full charge. The only thing issue I've had is the 12V battery wearing out. On the other hand, I've modded/changed out a lot of stuff. I'm now on my second set of high performance tires, so one could say it loves the corners...
For perspective, I have a Honda Insight with 238,000 miles on it and a Ford diesel pickup with 340,000 miles on it. Both are going strong.

·
Registered
773 Posts
LOL this is cute, calling a car "high mileage" at these low numbers. My 500e was purchased at 30k, and the odometer now shows over 50k. The drive to town is 70miles round trip with an elevation change of 1200ft down to town. The car can make the full round trip, but I prefer charging in town. About half the drive is hilly, curvy country roads, the other half reasonably flat highway, where 70+mph is an average speed. The guess 0' meter says about 90 mile range after a full charge. The only thing issue I've had is the 12V battery wearing out. On the other hand, I've modded/changed out a lot of stuff. I'm now on my second set of high performance tires, so one could say it loves the corners...
For perspective, I have a Honda Insight with 238,000 miles on it and a Ford diesel pickup with 340,000 miles on it. Both are going strong.
I’d say 100k+ is high for a low kw battery given the small capacity and cycle count because of it I can’t see many having tons of miles racked in a short time because you really can’t pile more then 100 miles a day without too much inconvenience. I’d say I’m above average driver in miles for this type of car I don’t think too many 500e drivers drive 20k miles a year.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,794 Posts
LOL this is cute, calling a car "high mileage" at these low numbers... The drive to town is 70miles round trip with an elevation change of 1200ft down to town. The car can make the full round trip, but I prefer charging in town... I'm now on my second set of high performance tires, so one could say it loves the corners...
WE love the corners too! :devilish:

After 250,000 miles we could still have enough range for our drives*, based on calibrated user reports of 2.3% loss per 10,000 miles.

*Your 35 miles between charges & my 37, both close to the US daily average.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts