Fiat 500 Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
791 Posts
WE love the corners too! :devilish:

After 250,000 miles we could still have enough range for our drives*, based on calibrated user reports of 2.3% loss per 10,000 miles.

*Your 35 miles between charges & my 37, both close to the US daily average.
Where do I find my accurate battery health other then the Alfa obd that changes depending on the day lol. My SOH shows 97.1% I’m at 44k miles

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,857 Posts
My SOH showed, in chronological order:
89% at 23k miles
59% at 23.8k
100% at 24k (impossible)
71% at 25k
51% at 26k (that would mean total range of about 47 city miles, but it only uses 47% to do that).

Unfortunately there's nowhere to "find" the true capacity. You have to discharge it until the motor shuts off, like EPA does, then charge from a METERED charger until it stops, & compare that reading to EPA's 25kWh for a full charge.

Reportedly (by Fiatatat, I think) it shuts off at 0.00% on OBD. So you could drive around very near a charger until it's as close as you dare to 0% on the gauge, then check what OBD says. Then I'd drive around the charger's lot (a FLAT lot, or better yet, chargers on the low end of a sloped one) to confirm that it still drives below 0% on the gauge. Then you could drive around VERY near the charger until OBD reads as low as you dare, park AT the charger with everything turned on, & wait for 0.00% OBD/motor-shutdown, confirmed by a drop from 14.x volts to 12.x volts at the starter battery terminals (also shows on OBD).

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
791 Posts
Unfortunately there's nowhere to "find" it. You have to discharge it until the motor shuts off, like EPA does, then charge from a METERED charger until it stops, & compare that reading to EPA's 25kWh for a full charge.

Reportedly (by Fiatatat, I think) it shuts off at 0.00% on OBD. So you could drive around very near a charger until it's as close as you dare to 0% on the gauge, then check what OBD says. Then I'd drive around the charger's lot (a FLAT lot, or better yet, chargers on the low end of a sloped one) to confirm that it still drives below 0% on the gauge. Then you could drive around VERY near the charger until OBD reads as low as you dare, park AT the charger with everything turned on, & wait for 0.00% OBD/motor-shutdown, confirmed by a drop from 14.x volts to 12.x volts at the starter battery terminals (also shows on OBD).
I kind a question the accuracy of those metered chargers because the one time I used it I had like 50% battery and when I finish charging it said it took in 15.4 kW which is more than half the battery So one of two things happening either that is not accurate or there’s charge losses from the inverter or my gauge is not really 50%.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,857 Posts
Our % gauges seem to get further off with more miles, until they're reset. You can compare it to OBD, preferably at a fairly low level. Mine used to be pretty close at around 50%, but when I checked a while ago at 11% on the gauge, OBD said it really had 18%, & yesterday at 38%, OBD said it really had 42%.

There are absolutely losses in the onboard charger. It wastes a LOT of energy, which can be felt (after a few minutes of charging, especially L2) as heat on its surface, on the passenger side right next to the 12V battery. That's why the EPA spec of 25kWh is more than the battery's total capacity including the unusable buffers.

It also depends on ambient temperature, & I believe EPA does it inside, at room temperature, so you have to try for that. Now that I think of it, there was something about resting overnight. Maybe that was with it discharged, so it can be fully cooled to room temp. As if this procedure wasn't hard enough already!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I guess I am one of the few (maybe the only one) for who the OBD readings don't fluctuate day to day or reading to reading. Mine have shown a steady and gradual decrease in SOH and Ah ratings since I've owned it. Currently at 88.63 SOH and 57.70 Ah. Which seems reasonable for my 2015 with 42k miles. For reference they were 89.41 and 58.3 Ah at 37k miles.

·
Registered
2013 500e
25 Posts
Very interesting discussion - good to hear where others are with this. For these #'s, mine had just finished charging.
I just went out and checked mine with my OBD reader, FiCom.
SOH: 100% SOH-C: 100% SOH-R: 100%
I have no idea what SOH-C & SOH-R are? Anyone else heard of that?
Full Ah capacity: 56.8Ah
Ah capacity: 55.9 (again two different #'s, I don't know why.
Voltage: 398V (cell sum voltage)
HV sensor: 399.9V
I have access to each cell's voltage - Highest cell 4.110V Lowest cell: 4.098V
Max cell resistance: 0.001 Ohm
estimated range 140km > 142km (~ 87miles) This matches the current guess o' meters range.
Odometer: 89974km - 55907 miles

So, when comparing to Q2RD2100's it's interesting that my Ah capacity is lower, but the SOH is higher. Strange... Also it seems my claims of 90+ mile range are incorrect. Sorry... :-(
Also, the car had just completed a full town/back round trip of ~ 65miles with ~ 30% capacity left.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Very interesting discussion - good to hear where others are with this. For these #'s, mine had just finished charging.
estimated range 140km > 142km (~ 87miles) This matches the current guess o' meters range.

So, when comparing to Q2RD2100's it's interesting that my Ah capacity is lower, but the SOH is higher. Strange... Also it seems my claims of 90+ mile range are incorrect. Sorry... :-(
Also, the car had just completed a full town/back round trip of ~ 65miles with ~ 30% capacity left.
Yea I don’t know I can do a 75 mile drive back and forth from work and still have 30% remaining. That is all mostly freeways also.

·
Registered
213 Posts

SOH-C is the state of health of capacity. SOH-R is the state of health of resistance. SOH is the overall state of health combining those two values with some formula. Your SOH-C value doesn't make sense. When new, the Full Ah capacity is something like 64 Ah if I recall. That means your SOH-C should be more like 87%. What software did you use to get these values? It doesn't sound like you used AlfaOBD.

Full Ah capacity is what the battery is capable of charging to.
Ah capacity is the capacity it is currently charged to.
At full charge, the individual cell should be at 4.1 volts. I would have expected your full Ah capacity to be a bit closer to your Ah capacity at full charge. Could be a temperature thing that causes the delta.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,857 Posts
SOH: 100% SOH-C: 100% SOH-R: 100%...Odometer: 89974km - 55907 miles
This is another example of undependable readings: 100% after 7 years & 56k miles on the battery is impossible - there has to have been SOME degradation.

I guess I am one of the few (maybe the only one) for who the OBD readings don't fluctuate day to day or reading to reading...
Someone suggested that the SOH numbers might fluctuate less if you drive very consistently. Same goes for the Guess-O-Meter. In either case, consistency doesn't indicate accuracy: My GOM consistently reads an inaccurate 116 miles when I drive downhill to top off at my local sea level charger.

·
Registered
2013 500e
25 Posts
Thank you for the feedback! :)
SOH-C is the state of health of capacity. SOH-R is the state of health of resistance. SOH is the overall state of health combining those two values with some formula. Your SOH-C value doesn't make sense. When new, the Full Ah capacity is something like 64 Ah if I recall. That means your SOH-C should be more like 87%. What software did you use to get these values? It doesn't sound like you used AlfaOBD.
Thank you for the explanation. I'm using FiCom as the OBDII reader. All the raw data seems to agree with stuff I can measure. But I agree; these numbers don't make sense.
I had just finished charging when I took these values. As stated above, my cell values ranged from 4.110V to 4.098V. I do a lot of work with used EV cells, and have quite a bit of experience testing Nissan Leaf modules. I know It's not the same, but the numbers like that are pretty common with Leaf modules.

Looks to me like you ARE getting 90+ miles: 65 miles divided by 70%* is 93 miles total range.
* 100% minus your remaining 30%.
I might be . . . who knows - maybe some of the aero mods and weight reduction mods are helping with the range. That would be nice. As stated previously, the drive to town is far from flat; there is a 1200' elevation drop from our house to the valley. In addition there are about 3 rolling hills along the way. Half the drive is relatively slow country roads - this might help with the range issue. The other half is ~ 70mph unencumbered (no traffic jams) highway. Of course the challenges a sporty car gets along the way kind of hurt range..:devilish:.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,857 Posts
...but it must help range to maintain a constant speed regardless of corners :devilish: . Ya. That's why I do it. Not for fun.

It seems to me that I gain nearly as much on the way down a hill, as I lose on the way up. In other words, 10 miles uphill & 10 miles back down at 50mph uses about the same as 20 flat miles at 50mph, as long as I stay above 6mph so that regen is always working.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts