Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to keep me stock wheel but I am trying to find a way to maybe space it out a couple inches. I'm 6'2" if I put my seat comfortable for my legs the steering wheel is a reach.

Any ideas?

Fiat 500 Argento Sport

Fiat 500 Argento Sport

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
personally, I would guard against doing anything like that on a vehicle with airbags. years ago I did something similar to an old Honda Civic to lower the column....too high for me, but it didn't have an airbag to be concerned with.

with the force of airbag deployments, as well as location of the airbags, being factored into the design of the car, if it were my car, I wouldn't put myself or another driver at risk for a small gain in comfort.

again, just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
F500 makes a very important point. Messing with an airbag equipped steering wheel in any way should not be attempted by anyone who is not trained to do so, or who does not have the detailed technical documentation on its operation. An unexpected airbag deployment can seriously ruin your day and cause significant injuries. That said, one of the many aftermarket steering wheel manufacturers (Momo, etc.) may have a good solution.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
you can change your wheel out for a black custom wheel. it's no different

Sent from my Argento 500
That depends on the airbag system. If it is the newer progressive style than it makes a huge difference. In the newer system or "Airbag II" The computer takes into account , seat position, speed, weight of subject, direction of hit and whether or not subject is seat belted or not and adjust deployment as necessary. If the Fiat is equipped with the newer air bags I don't know, but most cars today are. If it is, the car will not know if the steering wheel has been moved toward the driver and deploy as if it was in normal position. Whether or not this will cause injury I don't know but why risk it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did it :)

I don't think that the airbag could be an issue in any case. Let me explain: I agree that driving with your teeth 1" next to the steering wheel will cause a serious hurt on your face in case of airbag explosion, but you have to consider that engineers design cars not only for us enthusiast which know the correct driving position, but for any kind of car user, like old men/women, people that use the car once per week, 5 feet tall people, and so on.
I'm quite sure that the engineers takes in consideration all these factors while designing the way airbags acts, also they make loads of test for several years.

Also, fitting the spacer is not a matter of arms, it's a matter of legs: usually tall people feel bad on cars without steering column depth adjustment because they need to drive with overbent legs in order to hold the steering wheel at the correct distance. Fitting the spacer allows the driver to move the seat backward, keep the steering wheel at the same distance from their face, and gain some room for the legs :)

I pulled out the steering wheel, taken some measures and did it: both male/female splined steering wheel spacer made in aluminium and steel.

I share some pics :)

Attachments

·
Registered
897 Posts
Extreme. I'm tall also. I move my seat all the way back and raise it high and lowered the steering column as low as the adjustment allows and got used to it.

Are you an aerospace machinist? Maybe you could sell those.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So the stock wire harnesses were long enough? I had my steering wheel recovered, but I forget how long the wires were.
Nice looking adapter. I'd bet there is a market for them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Long reach to the headlight/turn signal stalks?

I'm also 6'2", but I always liked to sit closer to the wheel than a lot of people -- especially in cars like the 500 where it is designed for a more upright seating position. I know shorter people who sit further back than I do... and I'm certain they can't fully depress the brake pedal, if it should become necessary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for the compliments :)
I'm not an aerospace machinist, just a mechanical engineer.
I own a little factory where we make rotating unions for hydraulic industrial applications, and I worked in a clutches and brakes factory for the press market.
I have a great passion in cars and I like to tune/improve/customize them as most of us, so, after jobtime I develop this spacer for me.
I have done the same job few years ago on a Clio RS 197 hp I owned, which also does not have depth adjustment on the steering column.

Yes, the stalks/wipers commands are a bit far now, you have to take your hand off the wheel to activate it, but you get use very soon to it. The automatic return of the stalk commands keeps working.

And yes, there is a market for this parts. I'm keep selling the Clio hubs occasionally. I sell them on the forums and on ebay.

I'd like to advert them here also but I think I have to register as a vendor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The aluminium part will be anodized Ivory white to match the rest of the interior.
I've made 4 of these because when you make the splines for the first time there is always the risk to make something wrong in the spline and at that point you will have killed the part.
I will post a pic after making the colour.
How many colours are the 500s steering wheels available? Ivory white and black?
Thank you :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
I did it :)

I don't think that the airbag could be an issue in any case. Let me explain: I agree that driving with your teeth 1" next to the steering wheel will cause a serious hurt on your face in case of airbag explosion, but you have to consider that engineers design cars not only for us enthusiast which know the correct driving position, but for any kind of car user, like old men/women, people that use the car once per week, 5 feet tall people, and so on.
I'm quite sure that the engineers takes in consideration all these factors while designing the way airbags acts, also they make loads of test for several years.

Also, fitting the spacer is not a matter of arms, it's a matter of legs: usually tall people feel bad on cars without steering column depth adjustment because they need to drive with overbent legs in order to hold the steering wheel at the correct distance. Fitting the spacer allows the driver to move the seat backward, keep the steering wheel at the same distance from their face, and gain some room for the legs :)

I pulled out the steering wheel, taken some measures and did it: both male/female splined steering wheel spacer made in aluminium and steel.

I share some pics :)
Wheel and stalk looking a bit grimy. Glad I got the black interior.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts