Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Fiat would save fuel on idle if it can lower the RPMs during idling. I have an automatic Fiat 500 Lounge and I would want to see if I can do this.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The Fiat would save fuel on idle if it can lower the RPMs during idling. I have an automatic Fiat 500 Lounge and I would want to see if I can do this.
Gee why didn't those darn engineers think of this when they were designing it?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
A pretty handy fuel savings trick could be installing a forward firing grappling hook to attach to other vehicles at highway speeds. That way you can shut the engine off and MOZEL TOV! Awesome gas mileage! Neat magic trick huh? ;)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! design it and ill buy it! actually if your brave enough you can change the timing and idle speed just like any other engine. but keeping the engine around 700-800 rpm at idle keeps it from misfiring and stalling out. my V8 in my truck idled at 550. i figure if im not idleing at 1100 then im making progress.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
you can change the timing and idle speed just like any other engine. but keeping the engine around 700-800 rpm at idle keeps it from misfiring and stalling out.
and how would you do this? Just curious.

·
Registered
211 Posts
By retarding the spark. Used to be able to do this on Harleys hence getting the Potatoe-potatoe-potatoe sound at very low RPM. When you accelerate, that's when you first get misfiring. Unfortunately, it can't be done on electronic modules...only on mechanical distributors.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would really like be able to tune the ecu Idle also.

Speaking of potatoes and all...I would like to replicate the huge overlap on the big cams in those old big block muscle car engines. Would be hilarious to pull up to a light and hit the "Sport" button and get a nice big overlap cam and hear "lump.....lump....lump" out of the little 500.

This is something that should be cake walk for an ECU tuner to do since every aspect of the 500 engine management and air management is electronically controlled.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
By retarding the spark. Used to be able to do this on Harleys hence getting the Potatoe-potatoe-potatoe sound at very low RPM. When you accelerate, that's when you first get misfiring. Unfortunately, it can't be done on electronic modules...only on mechanical distributors.
Exactly, but I was waiting to hear his logic on this car, lol.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Speaking of potatoes and all...I would like to replicate the huge overlap on the big cams in those old big block muscle car engines. Would be hilarious to pull up to a light and hit the "Sport" button and get a nice big overlap cam and hear "lump.....lump....lump" out of the little 500.
Just take the sound from a recording and run it through the BOSE sounds system with windows and power roof all opened. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts