Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've read that access to the Fiat Access app expired after 3 years for some model years. Does anyone know if there's a similar expiration for the 2016 model year and the corresponding app?

I'm not a current owner but am considering getting a 2016. I'd use the app primarily to remotely activate the climate control.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I'm pretty sure all model years' apps expire after 3 years from initial purchase, but I'm 100% positive there IS an aftermarket app. I just don't recall the exact name right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yeah, I'm aware of that third-party app, but would like to avoid that extra ~$500 over 3 years if possible. Can anyone confirm the 3-year expiration for the 2016 model year?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, I'm aware of that third-party app, but would like to avoid that extra ~$500 over 3 years if possible. Can anyone confirm the 3-year expiration for the 2016 model year?
I have a 2016 500e. Uconnect is indeed expired.

There is a MyFiat app that allows you to view warranty info, the car manual, and recall data- but that's it.
The radio can still use Bluetooth to connect to Android cellphones for playing songs or managing phone calls.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Wow, that's a nice touch, the climate control. When you say uConnect expiring, is this the uConnect service? That's the one that, for ICE models, has music, GPS, and other services.

Can you then subscribe to the service? (FCA screwed that one up... should have called it uConnect and uConnect Prime... not the same title.)

·
Registered
501 Posts
When you say uConnect expiring, is this the uConnect service? That's the one that, for ICE models, has music, GPS, and other services.

Can you then subscribe to the service?
UConnect is the general brand name for the infotainment system on Fiat/Chrysler cars. When we talk of UConnect expiring on the 500e, we specifically mean the remote connectivity in combination with the UConnect phone app. It allows viewing the vehicle location and battery charge status, and has some remote functions such as start/stop charging and preconditioning the climate control.

UConnect on other FCA cars (Jeep, Dodge, RAM, etc) has additional features and hardware, and is a subscription service similar to GM's OnStar or BMW's ConnectedDrive.

UConnect on the 500e is more basic and there is no subscription fee, but the remote connection is disabled after 3 years and there is no possibility to extend or subscribe to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, my UConnect just stopped working on my 2016 500e. I took it into the dealer and they could not figure out why. After calling UConnect I found out what you all already know that the subscription is only 3 years with options to renew. This was never disclosed when I purchased it and no notification from UConnect, even as a registered user. I also found out it has nothing to do with technology. The issue is the 500e is a compliance car. Fiat does not care about the 500e. They were forced to build it so they could sell gas cars in California and Oregon. That's a shame because it's a great car and their CEO Sergio Marchionne was too stupid to realize this.

Anyway, after doing much research I found a replacement for UConnect. It's "my500e" (search google for the link) and looks like it will be better then UConnect as the developer, Jan Vetterli, is going to open up the API for community development. Exciting!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Someone here recently said the "best mistake" Fiat made was being so cheap that they contracted out the "compliance" drivetrain to Bosch. I do have to give Sergio credit for publicly admitting his error: Before he passed away he announced that electric is now the way to go. Maybe he heard about me blowing the doors off a late-model Maserati :devilish:

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
50 Posts
I dont know if this is true but i read somewhere the Uconnect will never work again because it works on AT&T 2G networks that was shutdown and we dont have hardware to work on another network and FCA doesnt care to do so.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I dont know if this is true but i read somewhere the Uconnect will never work again because it works on AT&T 2G networks that was shutdown and we dont have hardware to work on another network and FCA doesnt care to do so.
The 2013-2015 models had a 2G modem but Fiat likely upgraded it to 4G with the 2016 infotainment electronics update, when UConnect was also beginning to go into Chrysler/Dodge cars. BTW, I've only seen mention of UConnect (Fiat Access) using Sprint and T-Mobile, not AT&T. In any case, Fiat controls which cars it will work on, because everything connects through their server (the app doesn't communicate directly with the car). They can configure their server to stop connecting to a car at the 3 year point.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver)
50 Posts
The 2013-2015 models had a 2G modem but Fiat likely upgraded it to 4G with the 2016 infotainment electronics update, when UConnect was also beginning to go into Chrysler/Dodge cars. BTW, I've only seen mention of UConnect (Fiat Access) using Sprint and T-Mobile, not AT&T. In any case, Fiat controls which cars it will work on, because everything connects through their server (the app doesn't communicate directly with the car). They can configure their server to stop connecting to a car at the 3 year point.
wait? So does this mean my 2017 can still have the ability to connect?

·
Registered
501 Posts
wait? So does this mean my 2017 can still have the ability to connect?
It's quite possible, depending on exactly when your car was initially sold/leased. I actually have a 2017 (leased in early 2018) and UConnect/Fiat Access does work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's quite possible, depending on exactly when your car was initially sold/leased. I actually have a 2017 (leased in early 2018) and UConnect/Fiat Access does work.

Okay thats cool, ill have to try that out i like having the ability to see SOC on battery and things like climate control etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts