Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang -

I haven't noticed this before but with my radio off, I hear a slight 'winding' sound when I turn my steering wheel left or right. It sounds like zzzzz zzzzz like when you wind up a watch.It inside the steering wheel [not outside the car]. I have to put my ear close to the wheel to hear it, but I can hear it for sure. Maybe something is loose inside? Can somebody go to their 500 and with the radio off see if they got the same sound? Everything on my car works perfect but I was just wondering if anybody else hears this winding sound.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Hey Gang -

I haven't noticed this before but with my radio off, I hear a slight 'winding' sound when I turn my steering wheel left or right. It sounds like zzzzz zzzzz like when you wind up a watch.It inside the steering wheel [not outside the car]. I have to put my ear close to the wheel to hear it, but I can hear it for sure. Maybe something is loose inside? Can somebody go to their 500 and with the radio off see if they got the same sound? Everything on my car works perfect but I was just wondering if anybody else hears this winding sound.
michaelo:

That might be the clockspring.. cant really tell if there is a problem, most make a little noise.. Id have a studio check it out during your next maintenance.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely sounds like that. Is it normal for it to make a slight 'clockspring' noise when turning the wheel left and right?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Definitely sounds like that. Is it normal for it to make a slight 'clockspring' noise when turning the wheel left and right?
michaelo: Its hard to diagnose it via the forum, but I would say that it is not normal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Gang -

Any update on this issue, MichaelO? I noticed mine doing the same thing this past weekend. To me it sounded a little like a hamster on a metal wheel- that squeaking squealing noise. Seems to turn normal, though. The problem seems to come and go.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Any update on this issue, MichaelO? I noticed mine doing the same thing this past weekend. To me it sounded a little like a hamster on a metal wheel- that squeaking squealing noise. Seems to turn normal, though. The problem seems to come and go.

Seems to me , its the clockspring.. could be defective, could be considered normal.. up to the studio to determine..

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think my Abarth makes the same noise. Mine sounded like an electric motor whirring. Thought it was just the electric assist steering. Might have to listen to it a bit more this evening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just started noticing this on my 2013 Fiat 500 Sport. It only makes this noise when I first start the Fiat and turn the steering wheel left or right. After I turn it, it doesn't make the noise anymore. Weird.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts