Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear hatch won't unlock, doors won't lock when using key fob. I press the lock (middle) button and then open the door and alarm goes off. Evic had a flashing yellow lock icon for a few minutes, then gone. Any ideas? Searched owners manual--nothing. I'll go to the dealer, but I thought the forum might save me a trip. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is good. Tried both fobs, one of which has never been used. I get flashing lights as usual when I press the fob buttons, but hatch remains locked and doors remain unlocked. Probably something simple, but I've never had this happen before.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Could try pulling battery cables and discharging the system...sort of "rebooting" the car. Pretty easy thing to try before making a dealer visit. If you have to reset the clock you did it right, if not then you did not fully reset the car. Sometimes glitches occur and a reset works, if it doesn't then you'll know more serious problems will need to be addressed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I took your suggestion and removed both cables from their battery terminals. Left them off for a minute, then re-connected. Clock still shows correct time. Well, a couple of minutes fast, but that's another thread. Don't know if I need to leave the cables off longer or what. I called the dealership and they want me to drop off the car this afternoon. They think it's in need of a "flash". It's not all that far, so I guess it's off to the studio.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dropped off the car at the dealer this evening. I looked over their shoulder while they checked for codes. I saw "door relay stuck" and "hatch relay low or stuck". So, maybe just a relay switch gone bad. Wondering if they're in the door or under the hood.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Thanks. I took your suggestion and removed both cables from their battery terminals. Left them off for a minute, then re-connected. Clock still shows correct time. Well, a couple of minutes fast, but that's another thread. Don't know if I need to leave the cables off longer or what. I called the dealership and they want me to drop off the car this afternoon. They think it's in need of a "flash". It's not all that far, so I guess it's off to the studio.
If the clock remained accurate (or close to it) then they were not left off long enough/the discharge wasn't performed. Often times this solves a lot of small glitches but it sounds possible your issue was a bit more involved. Hope they resolve things quickly for you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, two days at the dealership and the car has been given "star" status. No one has a clue what the problem is so now they're consulting engineers somewhere. Of course, a loaner car isn't available--"we only have two and they're both out" is the perpetual response when I ask. After the rear main seal leak, AC quitting, side skirt replacement, and now this, thoughts of a trade at the nearby Ford dealership are beginning to creep into my head.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, two days at the dealership and the car has been given "star" status. No one has a clue what the problem is so now they're consulting engineers somewhere. Of course, a loaner car isn't available--"we only have two and they're both out" is the perpetual response when I ask. After the rear main seal leak, AC quitting, side skirt replacement, and now this, thoughts of a trade at the nearby Ford dealership are beginning to creep into my head.
Tell them Enterprise Rent A Car delivers.

If you're serious about a trade, look into lemon laws in your state; it sounds like this might be a candidate. If you are at all close to that, try negotiating with the dealer about trading the car in on favorable terms for a newer 500. My sense from reading the forums here is that the later the build, the less likely the car will have nagging issues. If you do the trade in without lemon lawing it, it is probably more beneficial to Fiat to be able to resell that car once they've got the problem figured out; I don't think they can resell a lemon lawed car.

Just talk to them; maybe they can get you into a newer model without a significant hit to your wallet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a possibility. I really like the car and don't want to give up on the brand, but the car is in shop every third month for a week at a time. It's probably in large part due to it being an early build. If not, then Fiat's quality control is in need of some serious attention.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Like I said, it seems like that sort of thing is more common in the early 500s. In current Fiats sold in the U.S., I think the 500L is facing some challenges, the biggest being some bugs in the auto transmission that they appear on the brink of getting over (but I guess the U.S. gov't has to approve the software fix).

My last car, a Hyundai Elantra, had a recurring MIL issue. After replacing several parts under warranty, they finally seem to have it fixed. After going out of warranty, I had one recurrence, didn't feel like dealing with it over the weekend, and pulled my battery cable to temporarily clear it so I didn't have to look at the light. It never came back. At this point that car has about 100k miles and my son is driving it. I consider it quite a reliable car at this point.

I guess my point is that yeah, sometimes cars have glitches. I think the 500 had more than its share early on as a result of adapting the Euro design to the U.S. market (and corresponding regulations). At this point I think the 500 is past the worst of it, and the 500L is hopefully nearly over the hump.

If I were in your situation, and I "really like the car", I think I might talk to the dealer, tell him just that, but tell him you think your early build car just has too many issues, and ask whether they'd be interested in making it worth your while to get into a new Fiat (with maybe a thinly veiled threat that your other option is to go across the street to the Ford dealership). It might be worth the conversation. I might start it out with the service manager and if you can win him over to your point of view, he might be able to carry some weight with the sales folks to get you a sweet deal. There are enough left over '13s around that they could probably find a model you'd be happy with.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

feel free to PM me with your VIN, depending on the mileage I may be able to preauthorize or at the very least reimburse you rental fees.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Jonathan. Dealership is waiting for a response from an engineer--three days and counting.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally! Star has responded. There are broken wires somewhere in the rear hatch. Likely from opening and closing frequently. My work equipment has to be loaded and removed twice a day, so I use the hatch a lot. Even so, this shouldn't happen. They have seen this in a few other cars across the country--a good thing for me because they can't claim abuse. Repairs will take another day, so they've agreed to provide a rental car. BTW, the engineers directed them to an inside rear hatch release of some kind. Maybe not a conventional lever, but there is a release mechanism there. I plan to insist they show me when I pick up the car.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Finally! Star has responded. There are broken wires somewhere in the rear hatch. Likely from opening and closing frequently. My work equipment has to be loaded and removed twice a day, so I use the hatch a lot. Even so, this shouldn't happen. They have seen this in a few other cars across the country--a good thing for me because they can't claim abuse. Repairs will take another day, so they've agreed to provide a rental car. BTW, the engineers directed them to an inside rear hatch release of some kind. Maybe not a conventional lever, but there is a release mechanism there. I plan to insist they show me when I pick up the car.
Im glad its finally getting going.. hopefully my call to the dealer and engineering sparked a little action.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts