Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
It will be all nice and new so there will be no need to slam it shut. There's a black nylon strap the engineers want you to use to pull down the hatch and then let gravity take over.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Now the car has a blown body control module, apparently from shorted wires. Wonder how long it takes for Fiat to get a part to its dealers. BTW, Andy, I never slam the hatch.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Now the car has a blown body control module, apparently from shorted wires. Wonder how long it takes for Fiat to get a part to its dealers. BTW, Andy, I never slam the hatch.
Be aware that the BCM has to be programmed to your specific vehicle's equipment so it may take an extra day or two.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, 15 days later I finally have the car back. All locks work fine. The rear hatch release is somewhere under the rear hatch cover--the felt like material on the inside of the hatch. It's really not accessible at all. Speaking of that cover, there were several plastic clips along the top edge that the techs failed to re-attach. I've always had a noise coming from the hatch when going over bumps and it turned out to be those clips. I think the car came from the factory with a couple of them unattached. Anyway, it's good to have the little fella back. Think I'll hang on to it a few more years.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Well, 15 days later I finally have the car back. All locks work fine. The rear hatch release is somewhere under the rear hatch cover--the felt like material on the inside of the hatch. It's really not accessible at all. Speaking of that cover, there were several plastic clips along the top edge that the techs failed to re-attach. I've always had a noise coming from the hatch when going over bumps and it turned out to be those clips. I think the car came from the factory with a couple of them unattached. Anyway, it's good to have the little fella back. Think I'll hang on to it a few more years.

Glad it is back, not so happy about the clip issue though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm actually glad the dealership did such a half-a*s job of re-attaching the cover. I was able to slap the top of it gently and reproduce the sound I'd been hearing for two years when hitting road bumps. When I peeled it back a couple of inches to see why it was so loose I saw the clips. Took five seconds to snap them to the metal lip on the hatch door. Planned to have the dealer look at it sometime but kept putting it off. I had been blaming the rattle on the rear windshield wiper assembly. Now if it comes back, which I doubt, I'll know exactly where it's coming from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hatch wiring, wiper not working, can't open hatch, can't open boot.

image.jpg image.jpg
My hatch wouldn't open. The wiper didn't work. Went to the dealership. They found this. Yuchi. Less than 2 years old! Huge design flaw. Getting fixed under warrantee. How long will that last? Not easy to fix. One wire broken in half.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yep. That's it. From what the studio described I think the repair, if properly done, is permanent. I just feel sorry for those early build owners who will discover this after the warranty is out. Took my studio something like 14 hours of labor to repair.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The latch according to me: I've had intermittent problems--including the burglar alarm--for the 9000-mile life of my Abarth. It seemed to have gotten worse recently so I went by the dealer to get it looked into. Salesman comes out to check it out. He locks and unlocks with the fob. Repeatedly opens the hatch on first try. Explains to me that you have to hit the unlock-door button twice, etc. I try it and have the usual problem: hatch clicks unlocked but is not free to come up. I look like an idiot.

Later, at home, I decide I must come to understand how this thing is supposed to work. Hatch open, I press the unlock on the fob. The lock in the hatch clicks unlocked, but then I instantly hear a quiet sliding sound. I posit that it is relocking itself.

Here's the rationale I presume was held by the designer of this thing. The user is not supposed to think of the rubber thing under there as a switch (which it is) but rather as a lifeless hand grip for opening the hatch. I discover that if I treat it as such--unlock either by door-button-push-push or by the hatch button on the fob--and then just put my fingers under there and lift the hatch, up she comes. If I push up on the rubber grip to unlock and THEN lift, I'm doomed to failure. No delay between unlocking and lifting is permitted. Knowledge will set you free.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
The latch according to me: I've had intermittent problems--including the burglar alarm--for the 9000-mile life of my Abarth. It seemed to have gotten worse recently so I went by the dealer to get it looked into. Salesman comes out to check it out. He locks and unlocks with the fob. Repeatedly opens the hatch on first try. Explains to me that you have to hit the unlock-door button twice, etc. I try it and have the usual problem: hatch clicks unlocked but is not free to come up. I look like an idiot.

Later, at home, I decide I must come to understand how this thing is supposed to work. Hatch open, I press the unlock on the fob. The lock in the hatch clicks unlocked, but then I instantly hear a quiet sliding sound. I posit that it is relocking itself.

Here's the rationale I presume was held by the designer of this thing. The user is not supposed to think of the rubber thing under there as a switch (which it is) but rather as a lifeless hand grip for opening the hatch. I discover that if I treat it as such--unlock either by door-button-push-push or by the hatch button on the fob--and then just put my fingers under there and lift the hatch, up she comes. If I push up on the rubber grip to unlock and THEN lift, I'm doomed to failure. No delay between unlocking and lifting is permitted. Knowledge will set you free.
In case you were not aware...the 2013 models (and presumably onward) all doors can be unlocked with a single press of the Unlock button if you program and prefer it, glad you found a solution though. :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
My car just started doing the same thing. Both fobs make lights flash and car honk, but nothing happens with the trunk latch or doors. Guess I'm headed to the dealer, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem now in my 2012 fiat 500 pop it is annoying, and to take the cover from inside seems to be a big task......

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I have the same problem now in my 2012 fiat 500 pop it is annoying, and to take the cover from inside seems to be a big task......
Hello chico,
We are sorry to hear about your recent concern. Have you considered addressing this with your local Fiat dealer? If you decide to go this route and would like any additional assistance, feel free to reach out to us privately.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello chico,
We are sorry to hear about your recent concern. Have you considered addressing this with your local Fiat dealer? If you decide to go this route and would like any additional assistance, feel free to reach out to us privately.
Laura
FiatCares
thanks I will bring it to the dealer to see what they said.....

21 - 36 of 36 Posts