Fiat 500 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I got the plugs from NGEN customs and performance, a very good vendor. I don’t think anybody in the Abarth tuning world is a scam, or lying about their numbers, so no, the conservatism wasn’t a huge plus for me. Basically the price and the future potential to play around with maps myself were the big appeal to me, along with hopefully staying out of the EC vs Tork fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Got my brake upgrade installed, and of course made a video. With no schools open, suddenly I had the "help" of my 7 and 4 year olds, so difficulty mode was raised. Enjoy.

[VIDEO]

I chose the EBC yellows with solid rotors. I think (but don't at all know) that this will be a good choice for as track focused a pad that I would want to daily drive. And I went solid face on the rotors. I'm not worried about cooling (1 minute races), and I just don't think drilled and slotted offer me any real performance benefit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
A few weeks after installing my coil overs, I started getting a bad clunk from the passenger side. Not speed dependent, and I couldn't induce it with steering input. Mostly it would happen over small bumps when the suspension was unloaded. I figured out it was the top of the strut moving around due to the silly way that top end is held together. Replacing the strut top helped, but didn't quite get it. Adding a Corso Forza top mount ended up being the ticket. OF course, I made a video of my adventures, including video of the top end of the strut bopping around. Enjoy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm hoping a lot of others chime in, because I deffinately don't consider myself expert enough to have strong opinions on any of this (Other than that 3 year olds ABSOLUTELY belong in Abarths, its negligence NOT to rev the **** out of it for them). I have no evidence to recommend one oil over another. Sounds like there is a laundry list of "earlier than you'd think" maintenance items including plugs, wheel bearings, strut top mounts and engine mounts (maybe trans mounts also). The multi-air brick makes it more important than normal to keep the right amount of clean oil in the car.

On power, It is deffinately consensus that these benefit greatly from a tune. Plugs and coils and perhaps inter cooler help protect reliability when adding that power, so I'm doing them. What type of tune is for some reason a nasty, controversial topic on these. What I believe is true is that any of them will make you happier, but deciding which one will make you happiest requires us to have a giant internet flame war (apparently). I don't want to weigh in on things like springs and cams, but I think when people are discussing it, every point should start with "The multi-air is weird". I haven't thought it all the way through, but I do think that just because something is a great upgrade on an LS or a 2JZ head / valve train, it doesn't necessarily work the same way on the multi-air. Basically, whatever you do, the multi air is going to try to operate the way it wants to, and it has more options to undo your hard work. So if you don't fully understand the multi-air (I don't), then you don't fully understand the effect of your mods. I haven't considered down pipe / exhaust mods yet, but someday maybee? I can't rap my head around swapping something (the exhaust) that comes from the factory better (sounding) than anything else you can get for less than 6 figures.

Brake pads: I am currently swapping from unknown pads to EBC yellows. What I have is bad for dust, and what I'm putting on might be worse, dust isn't my priority. But I haven't seen anyone saying "Pad X really is dust free", despite some manufacturers claiming to be better on dust.

Hope this helps, and people with opinions, please chime in. I'd just really appreciate if you spell out what you've heard, vs what you think, vs what you feel from having tried it, to what you have actually measured. Those are all valuable inputs, but massively different in terms of certainty.
Doug, where are you shopping for your OEM parts like the engine mounts and trans mounts? I saw you bought strut top mounts aftermarket?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Doug, where are you shopping for your OEM parts like the engine mounts and trans mounts? I saw you bought strut top mounts aftermarket?
Scratch that. So the Corsa Forza part is actually the washer? Do you think I would need that for stock suspension?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Scratch that. So the Corsa Forza part is actually the washer? Do you think I would need that for stock suspension?
I got the top mount (what I called the washer) from madness. Not necessary for a stock or even many aftermarket suspensions. Mine is quite low and stiff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very nice build. Glad to see you post here. I had seen your channel on my YouTube feed and watched a few videos, Great content.

Coil overs is an upgrade I am looking into. I just don’t want a stiffer ride, More so with My Family riding and the roads are only getting Worse.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Very nice build. Glad to see you post here. I had seen your channel on my YouTube feed and watched a few videos, Great content.

Coil overs is an upgrade I am looking into. I just don’t want a stiffer ride, More so with My Family riding and the roads are only getting Worse.
Thanks! Yes the coil overs are VERY stiff, it is not a comfort ride at all.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
How do you like the ATM fender well intake?

does it sit to low and could water get in?
Don’t know yet, haven’t got in on. I had an e39 bmw 540i and it’s intake was roughly where the ATM goes, so I’m not feeling to worried.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Finally got my FMIC and fenderwell intake installed. I made a video (if your just doing FMIC, check out NGEN's instructions, his are better). I usually try to measure the performance gains of all the mods I do, but this video got so long I decided to roll that into the next video along with a tune upgrade. The butt dyno however has never been so impressed. Enjoy
[VIDEO]

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Got the baby sitter and everything so I could test the new plumbing on the Abarth today. Even had a brief hole in the monsoon spring. I tested, then loaded the next stage tune, and tested again. But crunching the data, I’ve run into a problem. The data says I’m slower. Ambient temps were 25 degrees warmer than when I last tested, humidity is through the roof, and I didn’t help myself by heat soaking the engine “pre-testing ”. So my gut says I’m comparing apples and oranges, because the butt dyno says I’m way faster. I may be reaching the limits of my timing equipment and/or my clutch. I need a cold front, for science. My goal was to put out the “FMIC + ATM Fender well intake and OFT stage 2 performance testing” video this week, but that’s on hold while I do some thinking / pray for 40 degree weather.

141 - 160 of 163 Posts