Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I'm an avid cyclist and love tray hitch racks to carry my bike(s) so I ordered the hitch for the gas 500 and it fits great on the 500e. The receiver hole just peeks out from under the rear bumper and fits snug up under the rear air dam without cutting. The install was easier than for the gas version cause you don't have to drop the spare tire or muffler - though I did have to cut off the excess tail of an intruding bolt and pry the hitch around quite a bit to get all the holes to line up.

For the last few buyers these hitches seem to come with one wrong bolt (for any 500), an M10 that should be a M8 x1.25 30mm as per the instructions.

Links, instructions and even video:
http://www.reeseprod.com/content/pro...005&part=24873
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...eid=2013307584

Also, whenever I used to put my rack on I used to get my hands dirty from exhaust soot on it since it sat behind the exhaust pipe of my old A3. I never cleaned it cause it would just get dirty again right? Then I remembered there is no more exhaust on the 500e, so I gave the rack a good scrub and look forward to less black mess!

bike rack rear angle.jpg bike rack side.jpg hidden_hitch.jpg passenger_side_bolts.jpg rear_bolts.jpg tucked_tight.jpg

Enjoy,

Trent

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
Nice. You need a electric bike to match the car. Best of both worlds pedal power, electric power.:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI the hitch rack has worked great since I installed it. Seems secure, holding the bike nice and steady. I used a double bike rack on it too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
How long does it take to remove the rack when you are not going to be carrying a bike?

Can the trunk open with the rack attached? (with and without the bike)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It takes about a minute to take the bike off the rack and the rack out off the hitch (just pull a pin). I often don't bother to remove the rack as you don't notice it and the hatch opens freely. With the bike on you can get the hatch open a couple feet. I use a longer ball carrier (11-13") than the short one that comes with the hitch. The rack is actually a modified roof tray from www.1upusa.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
If i wanted to pull a trailer, do you know how easy it is to install the wiring kit for trailer lights? Anyone out there done this?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Usually pretty easy clipping to the brake and running light wires behind you tail lights. Places like etrailer.com have good info. A trailer is going to be very hard on your range so it better be light and for short distances.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A huge "thank you" to tpoltron. After getting a little frustrated with Fiat not having specific part number for the "e", I decided to go for buying and installing the hitch myself. Bought the drawtite, and installed with a minimal of blood lost - user error.

I could not be more happy with the results.

Car Rack.jpg WP_20131221_006.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just purchased a black 500e with the sport package and loving it. It is one of the most fun cars I have driven in years. I am also interested in getting a bike rack for it but am concerned with the impact to range. For those who have installed a hitch mount rack, what has been your impact on range?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed a CURT Manufacturing 11363 on my 2014 500e (bought from hitchanything, $112 delivered).

Installation was easy enough, although one has to minimally modify an existing hole in the frame.

A hitch will add about 25-30 lbs to your vehicle weight. In general, the rule of thumb is that a 10% change in vehicle weight, will change range by about 7%. The 500e is about 3000 lbs curb weight, so the hitch weight itself should affect range less than 1%, maybe 1 mile or so. Drag is negligible I would think.

Any rack on the hitch will add additional weight and drag, however. Weight impact can be calculated similarly, drag is hard. So, maybe another mile or 2 off the range. Same with actually carrying a bike.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Like a parachute in your hand, the faster you drive with a bike on the back, the more drag you'll get. So, on city streets under 45mph, it probably won't be too bad. Jump up on the freeway or rip through school zones at 75, and it will be noticeable on the meter for sure.

When you combine the hitch mod and the rack you use (unless already owned), does it cost less than the Thule rack made for the 500's roof (fits the e, also)?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Usually pretty easy clipping to the brake and running light wires behind you tail lights.
If the 500e has CAN bus type wiring [like most new cars do] then connecting a trailer harness is not a simple deal like it used to be. You will likely find that it takes an expensive extra harness that runs the length of the car from the fuse box all the way to the tail lights, with a bunch of relays too. That's what it took to put a trailer harness on my friend's new RAV 4.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Personally, I would probably prefer to modify the rear facia to get the receiver up higher. My 1UPUSA rack will practically drag the ground with the receiver that low. Actually, looking at electric vehicle options right now (and a few gas ones), and the hitch receiver is a deal breaker on a shocking number of them. Most of the BMW product line offers no aftermarket or factory receiver options (including the i3). The eGolf will likely be an option. The ford stuff probably is, but I generally don't like Ford. The Honda Fit is practically out of production already. By the looks of the Fiat 500 hitch design you could probably get a fabricator to modify it for you to sit higher, but getting a clean mod to the rear facia might be a challenge. Mini used to have a brilliant rear rack, but they of course went completely roof on everything but the super-sized models. I dislike roof racks for various reasons. Not the least of which is the potential of driving into an awning and simultaneously ruining the bike, the rack and the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Actually, can somebody that has been under the car tell me if the facia were removed could the receiver be 2 inches higher +-? Are there any obstructions in the way of raising the cross bar with a some creative welding? I think the top of the receiver should be level with the bottom of the bumper if your sole use is a bike rack. Judging by the pictures jpoltron posted it definitely looks like the facia is the only reason they didn't make it higher in the first place.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a little update. I turned in my 2013 lease 500e and bought a cheap 2015 and the hitch moved over easily.
As for mntbighker's questions above its a fine height for my 1upUSA rack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Effect on handling?

A huge "thank you" to tpoltron. After getting a little frustrated with Fiat not having specific part number for the "e", I decided to go for buying and installing the hitch myself. Bought the drawtite, and installed with a minimal of blood lost - user error.

I could not be more happy with the results.

View attachment 30273 View attachment 30281
I just bought a 500e this week and need to figure out the bike rack part. I'm wondering if putting all this weight so far back has affected the handling? Well, I know it will somewhat, but have either of you found it to be noticeable?
Thanks for sharing, good information.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm wondering if putting all this weight so far back has affected the handling? Well, I know it will somewhat, but have either of you found it to be noticeable?
Didn't notice the weight of the hitch at all and barely notice with a rack and a couple bikes on.
The 500e is sprung for an extra 400lbs of battery in the rear so that helps reduce the impact of the bikes.
You do loose a noticeable amount of range (~20%) cause of the drag of the bikes, especially at high speed (>70mph).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts