Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So anyone who owns a Fiat 500 here in the US knows that it attracts attention from people who haven't seen one before. Its not unusual for cars in the passing lane to suddenly slow and hang off your left quarter panel for a ½ mile or so as then want to take a look. Yes, its also pretty common for you to come out of a store to find someone ooogling over it. But there's something I noticed when I put my "racing stripe" on my car.

OK, so calling it a racing stripe is a little silly on my car, but whatever, I put it on to give my car a unique look, and because it seemed like it needed something. What I've noticed however is really funny...other drivers, primarily young male drivers, seem to feel that the stripe is some sort of challenge to their manhood or something.

I drove the car without the stripe for a few weeks, and I have driven many other cars before, but haven't driven a car with a racing stripe for a long time. But there is a definite effect on these other drivers, something is urging them to show me how fast they are (or at least how loud they can be). Multiple times a day, what I can only call an insecure male feels the need to accelerate by me in passing gear...just enough to get by me in what they apparently deem an acceptable display of manhood...then they slow right back down to the traffic flow. Now this happens occasionally to everyone, but there has been a huge uptick of this "look at me I'm such a dude" behavior around my car over the past month or so since adding the stripe.

I never knew a little 500 could be so intimidating LOL

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah Mike, one of the first weekends I got the car I had a tool in a Mini Cooper that he clearly did "work" on hang next to me for a few seconds, toot his horn, and then take off, like that was an invitation to race.

(I say work, instead of improvements, because the car looked like ****. I am all about "beauty in the eye" bs, but he put so many lights on the front of his car, and underneath, and none of them were the same color white. It looked, well, it just looked like someone tacked together whatever they could on what should be a nice looking car.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm just borrowing a black 500c from the dealer for a test run for a few days and picked it up yesterday morning. Last night I had two young 20 yr old guys in a fancy black mustang try to race me at each light we were stopped at together, it was kind of funny. They kept looking over and flooring it when the light changed then would slow down till I caught up and then signal to race, lol. I knew photo radar was ahead and just ignored them, didn't want to put them to shame anyways, lol. :p ;)

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I arrived one morning to see my white Pop with red lipstick kisses on the window and roof! I was startled at first, but it came off easiy and I got a good laugh. It is a sexy car!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Lol... I was driving the most tricked out 500... The owner is on here but I "will" not say who it was... (he was in the car w/me) this 500 really looks like a race car. We stop @ red light and along side... pulls up a Honda fit w/ 2 college girls in it. Light turns green and the fit smokes the wheels... So I slipped the clutch an hit it... 500 making all kinds of racing noises... yet the fit was still getting smaller and smaller. Next light... I notice... A little V tec badge then the girls were laughing and pointing. Owner of the 500 head down looking away.
The "race" look is just asking for it. The worst part is... The 500 was so loud it was obvious, that we were trying, everyone that witnessed the shameful occurrence.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I get this thing every day with my current car, most of the time I can just get away from them without really trying though haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What I've noticed however is really funny...other drivers, primarily young male drivers, seem to feel that the stripe is some sort of challenge to their manhood or something.
I'm not surprised, especially if you're talking about the I-4, with you being in the Tampa area. I'm just down the road in Lakeland and inches from buying a 500 Pop. Maybe you can help...how is the 500 when you mix it up with I-4 style traffic? It's one aspect of ownership that I've wondered about.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
... inches from buying a 500 Pop. Maybe you can help...how is the 500 when you mix it up with I-4 style traffic? It's one aspect of ownership that I've wondered about.

I don't have any problems at all, the car feels bigger than it is when your driving. Be aware that since the thing is just over 2k in weight, you will occasionally feel a quick buffet in traffic, but Ive had no issues passing or being passed by Semi trucks and such. The only thing to be aware of on the highway is that if your driving at upper speed limits (70+ mph) you may have to downshift occasionally to keep going over 70 if you hit an long uphill section if interstate. Being I drive an automatic, thats not an issue for me.

Then again you said driving I-4 so I figure your going to be at 10mph max anyway :cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some may think you're in an Abarth if they're not familiar with the markings.
I put "John Cooper Signature" stickers on the sides of my MINI and folks immediately assumed I was in a special John Cooper Works version and started putting on shows for me.
Enjoy the attention.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.