Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I replaced the drivers door handle this week and all is well, apart from the fact that I can’t lock the door with key or fob now.
Is there a special way that the lock barrel has to be fitted into the new handle in order for it to work?
When the new handle is out of the door with the lock barrel fitted, the key turns the mechanism just fine and it sit’s flush, the small clip is back in position (the one that you have to pop out to remove or insert the lock barrel into the handle).
Any advice? Many thanks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Did you replace the whole handle or just the cheap metal hinge that breaks? I have a replacement hinge and saw a video of two guys doing the end around fix. I just haven't done it yet since my son has the car and only comes over for short visits. And what was the problem and what was the fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you replace the whole handle or just the cheap metal hinge that breaks? I have a replacement hinge and saw a video of two guys doing the end around fix. I just haven't done it yet since my son has the car and only comes over for short visits. And what was the problem and what was the fix.
I replaced the whole handle.
When I was replacing the door card, I had reconnected the mirror cables and door handle cable but I forgot to sit the door handle cable back into its securing black plastic sheath ‘cradle’ which meant that the cable had nothing to pull against. That won’t make much sense until you take the door card off and see what I mean. It was an easy fix once I realised what I hadn’t done!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I replaced the whole handle.
When I was replacing the door card, I had reconnected the mirror cables and door handle cable but I forgot to sit the door handle cable back into its securing black plastic sheath ‘cradle’ which meant that the cable had nothing to pull against. That won’t make much sense until you take the door card off and see what I mean. It was an easy fix once I realised what I hadn’t done!
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts