Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the dealer to have them install a new drivers side mirror because the original was shimmying and the new one still does the shimmy. They looked at four other cars on the lot and they all had the same shimmy in the drivers side mirror. The passenger side doesn't move, just the drivers side.
Anyone else noticed this? Any ideas on a fix?

BTW I went to the dealer to replace the mirror because it was covered under the warranty and free.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Went to the dealer to have them install a new drivers side mirror because the original was shimmying and the new one still does the shimmy. They looked at four other cars on the lot and they all had the same shimmy in the drivers side mirror. The passenger side doesn't move, just the drivers side.

BTW I went to the dealer to replace the mirror because it was covered under the warranty and free.
If you own a Cabrio, get used to it. They, FIAT/Chrysler, are investigating and have a note to not replace them because it will NOT fix the problem. Currently no fix is available. Someone suggested, here or over on another forum to try inserting a piece of rubber to stabilize the mirror...don't know if that will work as I have a Sport.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My cabrio mirror stopped shaking at 4 beers.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi,

I notice the mirror on my Pop vibrates a little, especially at idle at traffic lights, but I've also noticed it on other cars and trucks too while I'm sitting there, so I haven't been too concerned about it yet.

Pat

·
Registered
2,000 Posts

tanda62:

I apologize that you are experiencing issues with your side mirrors. You did the right thing by going to the dealer. If the drivers side still has a "shimmy," I would be happy to assist you in resolving it at the studio level. Unfortunately, it would involve returning to the studio. I am going to recommend the involvement of the area district manager in that a replacement of the mirror has already taking place without resolve. I would also be happy to supply a rental if you are in need. Please send me a PM with your VIN so that I may begin a case on your behalf. In the PM, I will also provide my direct contact information.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Hi,

I notice the mirror on my Pop vibrates a little, especially at idle at traffic lights, but I've also noticed it on other cars and trucks too while I'm sitting there, so I haven't been too concerned about it yet.

Pat
PFVA63:

Yes, I would say that depending on the idle speed (at a stop light) of the vehicle and the overall condition of a vehicle while driving, (and that of the mirror), slight vibration is normal. However, on a new vehicle it should not be happening, especially if the shimmy is so bad that it distorts the mirror image that could result in compromised vision of other nearby vehicles and other traffic conditions. If it gets noticeable worse, please contact me so that I can resolve.

Reactions: PFVA63

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Just to echo when the previous posters have mentioned, my 500C had a very shakey side view on the driver's side also. My sport does not have the same issue.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Just to echo when the previous posters have mentioned, my 500C had a very shakey side view on the driver's side also. My sport does not have the same issue.
Mr. Pickles:

Has it been looked at by your studio?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
It's the studio's car now! I traded it in on a loaded Sport.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
LOVE IT. I wish I had gone this route first. My studio is awesome though. I have no complaints. Very nice and the buying process is a snap.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
LOVE IT. I wish I had gone this route first. My studio is awesome though. I have no complaints. Very nice and the buying process is a snap.

Mr. Pickles:

Im glad that the sport is working out for you. Its definitely a sharp vehicle. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
My Sport's (manufactured May 2011) driver's side mirror shimmies at 45+ MPH. Passenger side is more stable.
Figaro: It is a known issue, but may not be treated as a defect; Id have your studio check it out. This is what I was able to find:

Fiat 500 Cabrio Mirror Vibration

Mirrors are being returned under warranty
for a visual vibration condition on the Cabrio
model of the Fiat 500.
The returned mirrors have been vibration
tested and found to meet design intent. The
mirror and door of the Cabrio are common to
the Coupe, where they do not exhibit a
vibration problem. The source of the
vibration that is visible in the mirror on the
Cabrio model is the inherent difference in
the body structure between the two body
styles. Replacing the mirrors will not
resolve the customer issue. The issue is
under investigation for potential long term
and short term actions.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Im really glad i read all of these threads on the vibration in the mirrors on the cabrio. I had a sport and traded it for a 500C and never had an issue with the mirror on the sport but the one on the cabrio vibrates at about 40-50 mph but stops when I'm on the interstate and doesn't vibrate at high speeds. also my window creak and squeak at around the same speeds. Im going to take it up with the dealer on my next visit. The cabrio i test drove did not have the creaking noises in the windows that mine has, so i think just mine has an issue, but besides the minor annoying window noises, I love love love my convertible. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can I order a convex driver mirror for the entire size of the mirror vs just having it on the small left portion as available in Europe? I find the convex mirror much safer than the US version.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Im really glad i read all of these threads on the vibration in the mirrors on the cabrio. I had a sport and traded it for a 500C and never had an issue with the mirror on the sport but the one on the cabrio vibrates at about 40-50 mph but stops when I'm on the interstate and doesn't vibrate at high speeds. also my window creak and squeak at around the same speeds. Im going to take it up with the dealer on my next visit. The cabrio i test drove did not have the creaking noises in the windows that mine has, so i think just mine has an issue, but besides the minor annoying window noises, I love love love my convertible. :)
aquablu2: Let me know what they say and if I can help in any way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Figaro: It is a known issue, but may not be treated as a defect; Id have your studio check it out. This is what I was able to find:

Fiat 500 Cabrio Mirror Vibration

Mirrors are being returned under warranty
for a visual vibration condition on the Cabrio
model of the Fiat 500.
The returned mirrors have been vibration
tested and found to meet design intent. The
mirror and door of the Cabrio are common to
the Coupe, where they do not exhibit a
vibration problem. The source of the
vibration that is visible in the mirror on the
Cabrio model is the inherent difference in
the body structure between the two body
styles. Replacing the mirrors will not
resolve the customer issue. The issue is
under investigation for potential long term
and short term actions.
I have this problem. So to confirm, it is just the actual glass mirror part that clips in, or is it the complete mirror with the plastic thats attached to the door of the car?

My dealership has ordered a new glass mirror, but should they be ordering the entire piece.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We see the same issue on our 500c.
It seems to be the complete mirror not only the glass.

Ours will go into the studio on Tuesday next week to check the mirror.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts