Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my flash drive from Fiat tonight. Just down loaded the eco drive application to my Mac. Formatted the Fiat flash drive. Plug the flash drive into my USB slot in the car. Going to drive my car with the flash drive in for the next 5 days, to get data recorded on it. We see how my driving habits will be.:)

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Novelty that wears off after a few weeks at best, at least for me it did. These cars are way more fun when you drive them in a spirited manner rather than being overly careful and conservative.
You right there. I'll get a F+ on my driving habits, in 5 day most likely.:)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I don't think you have to drive with the flashdrive IN the port. once my ecoDrive was installed, I just drive. when the memory is about 'full', the voice comes over my B&M and reminds me to insert my flashdrive and download the info before its lost. then it tells me the download is complete and to remove the USB device.

for now, I need to go out and turn OFF my ecoDrive until gas prices skyrocket: $4.00+/gal. then I'll be ready to start monitoring my driving habits again.

but until then.....it's Drive it Like I Stole it! :eek: :D

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many gig's is the Fiat flash drive? Any one know. Mines plug in still gathering data.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh, I hope Fiat mails me a USB key with Eco Drive:) It would be good to have a dedicated one.
I did try the app once with the first 5 days of data. Not a great score (68) but still, it has me intrigued enough to keep collecting data. After the first days set of data was in the program, I just put the USB key back into the car...didn't delete the old data. Now I've just collected another 5 days worth of data and I can't load it into the program. Every time I go to look at the USB drive, I'm asked to reformat the drive. Has anyone else had issues? Just wondering if I should re-install the app on the USB key first, or just put it back in the car without anything on it.

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine work tonight. Plug it into my computer. I got a score of 64. Too many C02's, I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
The eco-drive feature does not work in my Pop. I don't know how the state emissions testing will work on this car. Fiat sent me a packet with the cute metal USB flash drive - but it don't work. The drive was already formatted: I don't believe you need to load any software on the drive to collect data. The USB port is dead as a door knob.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
The eco-drive feature does not work in my Pop. I don't know how the state emissions testing will work on this car. Fiat sent me a packet with the cute metal USB flash drive - but it don't work. The drive was already formatted: I don't believe you need to load any software on the drive to collect data. The USB port is dead as a door knob.

You can disregard my other comment referring to your USB drive now that I know the reason you find the thumb-drive useless.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Novelty that wears off after a few weeks at best, at least for me it did. These cars are way more fun when you drive them in a spirited manner rather than being overly careful and conservative.
Yeah, I've become disenchanted as well...drive it like a G-ma and my index is only a freaking 60. Drive it like I want and it's a 54.

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whats funny about my score. I don't drive the car that hard. I punch it a couple times on the highway to pass people. Sometime I go over the speed limit. The ECO gauge gets piss at me. That the way I drive.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

I don't have a USB port on my car so I can't use Eco : Drive, however (as I think I already posted once somewhere on these boards) there is a trip that I do every week or two that's a little over 50 miles that's mostly highway, so I typically will check both my instantaneous and overall mpg on the trip to see how well I can do. The best I've done is a little over 50mpg on a couple occasions, but if I hit some backup its sometimes fallen to say about 47 mpg or so.

Anyway, a week or two ago I was making the trip. I had hit some traffic and so was only averaging about 47.4 mpg most of the way (~85%?) to my destination. As I merged from one highway to another, traffic began to back up, and I had to quickly change lanes to avoid getting caught in an exit only lane. In doing so I had to put my foot down and make a quick lane change. When I checked my average mileage right after, I saw that it had dropped by 0.3 mpg to 47.1mpg, and stayed that way for the rest of the trip.

I was kind of surprised that this single quick acceleration made such a noticeable impact on my mileage for a 50 mile trip. And, it also makes me kind of wonder how much impact doing so just a couple times may have? Overall I wouldn't be surprised if it might cost up to a whole mpg (or more).

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ya, novelty wears off quickly but it can be good for seeing how far and how long certain trips are - and how much it costs to drive friends to the ferry! I'm consistently high 40s on the index and happily so...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took my drive out and quit using ED, got memory full msg and simply disable ED and enjoyed actually driving rather than watching how I was driving. I still watch the Instant Economy out of curiosity and find enjoying the ride still gives over 30 MPG.
How do you disable the ED? I haven't been able to find it yet. Thanx

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Been awhile but I think I used the Menu to the right of the gauge cluster and scrolled through till located, then disabled it, it may be possible also to click the VR button and turn it off there with voice commands but I can't be certain. If needed I can check tomorrow though if I can remember to do so...dropping a line to remind me would help...hehe.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well I got my flash drive from Fiat tonight. Just down loaded the eco drive application to my Mac. Formatted the Fiat flash drive. Plug the flash drive into my USB slot in the car. Going to drive my car with the flash drive in for the next 5 days, to get data recorded on it. We see how my driving habits will be.:)
How long after purchase does the flash drive arrive in the mail? Seems like it's something they'd give you at time of purchase.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts