Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, before hammering on me for details, I'll tell you this is all I know so far.

After considering making intakes and axle back exhausts for the masses, I got bit by another bug. I wondered why our ECU's are so hard to get into.

What is the barrier? I just got off the phone with a good friend I've known for 9+ years. A quick background on him. He started off custom programming cars way back, even before all these other ECU tuning company's existed. He's built electronic modules from scratch that control various components and are fully customizable. He's an electronics wiz.

I sent him a picture of the ECU and we talked about the possibility of flashing it. He said it can be done. No hesitation. I told him it's not the same as the Euro version. He said it won't matter. If there is anyone I have faith in, it's him. So, I'll be visiting him on the 14th of this month and we'll see what happens.

That's all I know, no more, no less. I'm excited!

·
Registered
312 Posts
exciting in for updates...

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, this is great. Please give us more details as they become available.
This just in.....peep peep peep peep peep peep, Peipster wants more POWER!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm waiting

There's a tuning company called APR. They can provide the stock ECU in my wifes Audi A4 wagon with 5 different maps simply by using the check engine light and the cruise control stalk for input. I would love to have the option for a few maps to select from in the 500. I am hereby subscribing to this thread...

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will remapping hurt the Fiats warranty!
This is what we have to determine. A) the increase in hp/tq limitation(I'm estimating 112hp) with no mods B) can the file be flashed without detection C) can it be reverted back D) cost.

As of now, no cost for cracking it open for me. Dyno testing will be the cost, $80 for two pulls, so I can see this getting to possibly 10 pulls if not more.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a tuning company called APR. They can provide the stock ECU in my wifes Audi A4 wagon with 5 different maps simply by using the check engine light and the cruise control stalk for input. I would love to have the option for a few maps to select from in the 500. I am hereby subscribing to this thread...
I have APR and have all the options also, but I never use it. I've brought my Audi to the dealer without shutting it off during warranty periods. They know about it.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey lorvar, you go boy. While your at it can you see if they can also remap the fly by wire throttle response time (like a Sprint Module). Thanks.
I would think there's a table or parameter field that could be changed. I'm also going to see if the rev limiter can be moved a bit, not removed. One thing at a time I guess.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Awesome! Hope it works well, love to see a Spring Booster type effect as well as a Sport Mode always on option, really reverse the button to push to turn off rather than push to turn on, increased power is an obvious want. Look forward to updates on the matter. :) Thank you for looking into this lorvar.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome! Hope it works well, love to see a Spring Booster type effect as well as a Sport Mode always on option, really reverse the button to push to turn off rather than push to turn on, increased power is an obvious want. Look forward to updates on the matter. :) Thank you for looking into this lorvar.
If it can't be changed through the ECU (I'm sure it can), I'll ask him for an alternative.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks buddy, let's hope he finds it a simple process. :cool:
No problem. I wish we could access these Ecu's as easily as the VW/AUDI. You can turn anything on or off through the application. You can also custom program your remote key.

·
Registered
515 Posts
This is very exciting. I hope you get great results!

I would be interested to know what system he uses to tune it and what he has to do get into the computer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
700 Posts
How much lower do you need to go than 87, which is what Fiat says your car is quite capable of running on?

BC.
my ram requires premium superchip economy tune adjusted for 87 octane and i get better mileage and use 87 octane

yes i know you can use lower octane gas......but want a specific tune for lower octane to get better mileage i want choices economy, spirited, and wow..............

1 - 20 of 33 Posts