Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spousal complaints about ride and my discomfort with the flattened rear appearance ( looked too ricer to me) led to my trying out the stock springs back in the rear and leaving the Eibachs (Pro-Kit) in the front only.

I can say I really like the result. The ride is very close the the smooth stock ride, which makes sense since its the rear Eibach springs that have the heavy modifications to them, for those who have seen them. While the front is slightly stiffer, its is hardly noticeable in the ride, but the FIAT is still more controlled in the corners and sweeps than I recall it was when stock. More body roll than full Eibach, but still manageable.

I like the look much better. Now admittedly I am partial to the raised rear jackrabbit look, and with the front lower than stock, it has a great rake without all that awkward front wheel well opening that the stock model has. And the height retains the great driving visibility and presence of the stock model, which I thought got lost in the full 4 wheel drop.

I expect I will keep it this way until either snow or the Abarth stop me.

Her are some pictures to judge for yourself. Eibach front only, full Eibach, stock.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Too much rake and I think the rear wheel gap stock is near criminal on how much space is back there, but go with what you like. I have doubts that people who are not liking a lowered regular car will enjoy an Abarth I think the ride will be pretty firm and raw from what I have heard.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Not bad. I think maybe the full eibach is too low so this is a good compromise,
Sam

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Two letters, H and R

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Like your stripe too!!!!!!
Wow, I was so busy looking at the wheels I missed that, does look good! If I had the Sport or Abarth bumpers, I'd do that too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The H&R's look a smidgeon higher in rear than Eibachs. Nice car.

One thing I meant to note, for the guys with the lowering springs installed, it took me an hour and 5 minutes to swap out the springs from grabbing first tool to putting the last one away and I am using jack stands and no power tools. Really easy to see if this is something you might like and if not, put it back the way it was.

As for Abarth, yep, I expect a tougher ride. But with all that extra power, that's just fine with me. On this car, a little more compromise is called for IMHO.

And thanks for noticing the stripes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wish the sport, came lowered, and had a 500 stripe. Then it would really be a sport.

$225 for the springs and $50 for the stripe, DIY, and you got it!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not bad. I think maybe the full eibach is too low so this is a good compromise,
Sam
See how the plastic rocker panel cover sort of curves downward as it approaches the rear wheel well? With the lowering springs in, it curves down below the plane of the car and I find that makes it look like it has a droopy butt. I like a nice high butt, if you know what I mean....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have to be honest, I'm a big fan of the full Eibach, but respect your reasoning.

The only thing I wonder about is how it might have affected the actual handling characteristics, as I would assume the spring rates might differ from stock. It may be really, really subtle, but it might have some negative effect on top of the fact that you now have quite a lot of rake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.