Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week i received my Eibachs from Rob at Road Race Motorsports and got them installed this past weekend... I know some people were interested in pricing of install and what not which i will be able to help with because i didnt have a friend do it or anything. So first off ... Install was a breeze. i stayed at the mechanic shop the entire time, pretty much just watched and took pics. Basic instructions come in the box and they are very simple and easy to follow... Installation of the rear springs took a literal 10 minutes (very very simple). The front was also an easy swap even though the entire strut assembly has to be removed in order to change the spring. The 2 front springs took approximately 40 minutes to complete... So all in all it is no more than an hours work. So if you get lowering springs and you leave your car with the mechanic and he says it took him 3 hours . HES A LIAR ! :) Now we come to cost... At the shop i went to they priced it out like this. Basically one hour of labour, which will vary depending on what shop you go to and where you live. Could be anywhere between $70 and $100 an hour. Mine was $80. Then the cost of replacing shocks and struts on a car (remove the strut, remove the spring, replace the spring, reassemble the strut) At the shop i went to this process cost a flat rate of $180, which is quite normal. So all in all cost me $260 + tax. Some people may think its expensive but once i saw that car get put back on the ground it was well worth it !!! :)

Here are some pictures of the springs, the process and the aftermath :)

ENJOY

Eibach Springs by DeAdLy500, on Flickr

Back Left Spring by DeAdLy500, on Flickr

Eibach Spring by DeAdLy500, on Flickr

My Fiat by DeAdLy500, on Flickr

If you have any questions, Feel free to ask :)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are these the sportlines? On Road Races website, it says eibach pro kit... Im confused.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The box also says prokit. It's my understanding the prokit is the only one available at present.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just got thrown off, Pro Kit is usually black and Sportlines are usually red...

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
FWIW, I've never had an Eibach spring drop my car only 1 inch. It may advertize 1 inch, but I usually get a bit over 1. Sometimes a lot over 1.

·
Registered
470 Posts
how does it ride? is a pothole/speed bump terrifying?
Potholes not so bad. I have overlooked speed bumps and lived but the people sitting in the rear had a heart attack. I have hit serious dips at speed with no scraping but do get quite a jolt. You do not normally have to do the famous cross dip manuver.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Eibach Pro Kit is 1.1 - 1.2 in front/ 1.5 - 1.6 in back
Yet they provide a replacement shortened bump stop for the front but leave the factory rear stop as is....

I have my kit but yet to install. I need dealer to record a vibration at 50-60mpg ( not the wheels) before I install the springs so I still can pursue a fix for that little problema after the spring swap.

Springs are very nice quality. Would love to try to install myself but another forum member said the FIAT has "splined" bolts that call for special tooling.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Yet they provide a replacement shortened bump stop for the front but leave the factory rear stop as is....

I have my kit but yet to install. I need dealer to record a vibration at 50-60mpg ( not the wheels) before I install the springs so I still can pursue a fix for that little problema after the spring swap.

Springs are very nice quality. Would love to try to install myself but another forum member said the FIAT has "splined" bolts that call for special tooling.
where do you get the shortened bump stop? is that to allow it to sit lower?

·
Registered
160 Posts
It is to keep the suspension from bottoming out and damaging the car and or suspension components. You can trim the rear bump stops yourself.
Why would Eibach think rear not necessary to change or trim, since they do not include shortened rear stop. I'd think with the greater drop in rear it would be the reverse. More compression travel up front perhaps? Did you shave the rear stock bump stop?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok... ill try to answer all the questions at once ... The ride quality is still very comparable to the stock springs although it is a bit stiff, but that was to be expected... No surprise there. I havent battled any speed bumps yet probably cuz im always on the lookout for them and deep sewers as well.

As far as handling goes there is quite a bit of improvement... today i drove on the highway and hitting the turns on the on/off ramps felt wayyy better now then they did before... Before the car almost felt like it was ready to tip... Now, it feels a lot more stable. This was doing about 70km/h around the corner...

The kit that is on the car and was in the box is the Pro-Kit as the box would lead you to believe lol .. and its defiantly more than a one inch drop... Triumph is absolutely correct when he said from 1.1-1.2 in the front and 1.5-1.6 in the back ... I would say its exactly that .. like 1.2 in the front and 1.5 in the back.

As far as the shorter/smaller bump stops go, im almost positive it has nothing to do with ride height... i dont think it makes any difference although i could be wrong ... and they come with the kit itself.

As far as the rear bump stops are concerned, no i did not shave anything... i left it the way it was... You could probably get smaller ones which would probably give you a lower ride but taking away from already semi thin bump stops would make for one stiff bumpy ride.

I will post up more pictures tomorrow... larger if you wish, of the side rear and front... the rear shot of the car on the previous page was taken before the springs were put in.. it looks wayyyy better now... So again ill post more pics tomorrow ...

Hope this answered most of the questions , if i missed any . let me know :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scratch what i said about the pic of the rear on the previous page ... i forgot i didnt post the pic of the rear on this thread .. it was on the "post your 500 pics here!" thread . :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts