Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just installed the Eibach Pro Kit on my Fiat 500. I literally just swapped the springs on the stock shocks for the Eibach ones. Took the car for a test ride and well.... Every time I see a pothole is something terrifying !!! Even while on a slow speed pass! Was looking down the car to figure out why and what I see is that the rear shocks with the eibach springs have almost no stroke. What I'm missing out? Has anyone ever experienced this ? Do I have to change the stock shocks or another mod?

thanks

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You have to consider the suspension in two condition. When a car is stationary, its suspensions are at rest, so to speak. The suspensions do not just compress, it also extends, so the stroke is not measured at the rest, but measured from fully extended to fully compressed. The lowering springs will definitely reduce the stroke, but it has more strokes than you think there is is what I'm saying. You can change the shocks, but that won't change the suspension travel, and harder shocks mean stiffer ride. I went through so many different suspension setups, including shocks, on the Fiat 500 and 500 Abarth, and in a nutshell, all lowering springs for these cars are no good on the real road with bumps and weird cambers. All the combinations of shocks and springs that I've had all bottomed out on bumpy back roads, but most of them (but two sets of springs) huge improvement on handling on a smooth race/autocross track. You could try coilovers, or bag. But ultimately, if you want some semblance of comfort, stick to the stock spring. On my Sport, after I stopped running autocross, I settled on stock Abarth springs and Koni shocks all around. That’s the best compromise that I came up with. It’s still pretty bouncy though, but like I said, compromise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I just installed the Eibach Pro Kit on my Fiat 500. I literally just swapped the springs on the stock shocks for the Eibach ones. Took the car for a test ride and well.... Every time I see a pothole is something terrifying !!! Even while on a slow speed pass! Was looking down the car to figure out why and what I see is that the rear shocks with the eibach springs have almost no stroke. What I'm missing out? Has anyone ever experienced this ? Do I have to change the stock shocks or another mod?

thanks
Eduardo, since you have new shocks you need to put about 300 to 600 miles on them before making a decision. New shocks tend to be very stiff and need to wear in. I just replaced my stock shocks/struts on my 500 sport with KYBs last month. The ride was kinda rough at first, but got better everyday. A month in they seem to be perfect. Over 1000 miles in now. Go for a joyride this weekend with your GF or significant other then make a judgement.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drive on public roads rather than track only use and being I live in pothole country and the thought of anything stiffer suspension-wise would be insane. I find the Sport handles exceptionally well with OE suspension, and with the tires I have shod on the car, amazingly well in the wet (I can take most corners nearly as fast on wet vs dry surfaces, like within the tune of 3-5 mph).

If I forsaw a need to upgrade, probably be tire/ wheel optimization first, followed by stabilizer bars, leaving strut/shock valving and springs for last.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts