Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did it. Cut 2 cms. off the rear bumpstops. If that didn't help then I'd remove the springs. I hated the way the car felt, as if it was exploding when I passed any road imperfection.

The car feels great now! Sure, it's a bit harder riding than before, but gone is the terrible feel that there was no rear shock travel. Indeed, that was the issue. It's fixed now. It almost (almost) feels like the stock ride now!

If you feel the Eibachs are sort of a torture, do it. Cut the rear bumpstops. You'll never regret it!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Pics?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I cut about 1 inch off the rear and the front replacement bump stops that Eibach provides you with are garbage. I trimmed the stock fronts as well. I'm happy with my Eibachs. The ride is a little stiffer but the look is way better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
...most bumpstops used on mader European cars are designed to be in contact with the dampers at all times - known as bumpstop active suspension. These multicellular jounce dampeners have a riser rate spring rate and as such impart a progressive nature to spring 'system in a car.

If you cut the bumpstop, especially the smaller end, the car may react quite unpredictable under threshold braking and or if driven very aggressively on the road or track. This is so because the rising rate nature of a cut bumpstop becomes mush more abrupt...the spring rate now rises very quickly.

So although typical ride rate frequencies may feel better, be sure the car reacts controllably under panic conditions...and short wheel based cars can suffer a bit more...the Mini is such a car.

So, sometimes it is better to cut from the fatter end if installing stiffer springs. ...the Eibach bumpstops may have been designed for the new spring rate and reduced ride height...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts