Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened while I was driving home from school. Car stalled in rush hour traffic with white smoke coming out of the steering column and power completely died. Couldn't restart so I pushed it to the side. Eventually caught fire after 10 mins of sitting dead on the road. Not bad for just under 2 years old.
IMG-20130422-00042.jpg IMG-20130422-00041.jpg IMG-20130419-00040.jpg IMG-20130422-00045.jpg IMG-20130422-00044.jpg IMG-20130422-00043.jpg

Anyone else have smoke coming from the ecu box under the wheel?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Fiat 500c Pop dash caught fire today. Problem was the Body Control Module . It was found after the NC Fire Inspector tore the dash board apart. Said was a total loss. Created a hole in center of dashborad as big as a foorball. Car was also filled with hose water from fire department. Water damage also.
My dash pod started not to register anything then car went into limp mode. Parked car to talk to friend got out. 5 minutes later car full of smoke.
Only 4000 miles on car. Bought new.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Man that's horrible!

szwedo and donny1953, can you guys both give us the production dates of your cars?
I'd like to see if there are any assembly line similarities between both your cars.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If this is a recurring issue I think Fiat needs to seriously investigate this further and issue a recall. I am beginning to doubt weather I should even purchase my Abarth (I haven't yet, just waiting for the right time/finances).

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
This'll read odd, but welcome to the community.

Out of curiosity, did you ever smell any burning plastic or experience anything else out of the ordinary prior to the incident?

I, too, selfishly hope these are isolated incidents and I'm glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
If this is a recurring issue I think Fiat needs to seriously investigate this further and issue a recall. I am beginning to doubt weather I should even purchase my Abarth (I haven't yet, just waiting for the right time/finances).
A few more sets of disturbing pics like this thread and I think you will see Fiat spring into action big time. Lets just hope they don't have to.

·
Registered
88 Posts
some countries have a law that you need to have a fire extinguisher and first aid kit in your car. Here is a reminder why. I need to order one for myself.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
some countries have a law that you need to have a fire extinguisher and first aid kit in your car. Here is a reminder why. I need to order one for myself.
Good suggestions... another might be something like a quick disconnect on your battery:

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Great ideas, but I wonder how they keep up with shelf life of the fire extinguisher. Unless it's a very basic first aid kit, there could be items with a shelf life. Again, I wonder how they keep with that. I'm considering purchasing the FIAT roadside kit. In that kit, I would include a first aid kit... a very basic first aid kit.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Judging by FIAT has responded to other issues, I'm sure they'll announce a recall in the case of this being common.

I wouldn't knee-jerk dump the brand, though. They've been producing the EU version 6 years and this is the first I've read of this kind of thing.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Judging by FIAT has responded to other issues, I'm sure they'll announce a recall in the case of this being common.

I wouldn't knee-jerk dump the brand, though. They've been producing the EU version 6 years and this is the first I've read of this kind of thing.
Indeed this is the first I have seen this as well, with so many sold I'd like to as Rob stated above know of potential similarities that might narrow down things a bit. I would think FIAT would if needed issue a warning or recall.

I now wonder if these two will purchase another 500 or move to another brand all together.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Very odd coincidence for sure. 100,000 sold and suddenly two catch fire close to the same time caused by the BCM.
Hopefully not a time bomb waiting to go off in all the other cars out there!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Indeed this is the first I have seen this as well, with so many sold I'd like to as Rob stated above know of potential similarities that might narrow down things a bit. I would think FIAT would if needed issue a warning or recall.

I now wonder if these two will purchase another 500 or move to another brand all together.
I do agree with amacento and you with this. I highly doubt Fiat wouldn't be the first to jump on this and rectify whatever it is that caused the fire. I am confident enough it that Fiat would investigate this throughly. I guess my words came out such that it seemed I was painting the entire brand in a bad light. I suppose it was a worrisome reaction because I really do not want anyone else to have to be in a situation such as that.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts