Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any known faults with electrical issues under the bonnet enough to cause a fire?
This has happened to my fiat while driving, it slowed down to limp mode with no warning while on motorway then within seconds started smoking before turning to flames and engulfing the whole car!
Has this been known to happen?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Nope. Somebody must have messed with it at some time prior that created the situation.

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
I haven’t seen any North American 500 that happens too. It might have been cause, by the battery. I have a friend here. The battery exploded in his smart car. Lucky he wasn’t in it at the time. Did your auto insurance company, do a investigation?

Looks like there been a lot 500 fires in the UK.

Sorry for your loss!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven’t seen any North American 500 that happens too. It might have been cause, by the battery. I have a friend here. The battery exploded in his smart car. Lucky he wasn’t in it at the time. Did your auto insurance company, do a investigation?
View attachment 110313

Looks like there been a lot 500 fires in the UK.
View attachment 110315

Sorry for your loss!
Oh my gosh, you're right there! :O
There does seem a lot! Too many! Lots show in them pics how the front tyres have all burnt too more so than the back! The same had happened to mine! They all look too horrifyingly similar!
My car/auto insurance said they don't really have the facilities to look into a car so badly burnt out although I contacted Fiat and they're still investigating it almost 2 months on.
Tbh I just felt lucky to get out of the car on time, very scary being on the motorway with no hard shoulder half in a lane with passing wagons and cars!
I am so gutted just glad at the same time we got out safe!
I shudder to think how differently it could have been.
I'm glad your friend was safe too and not in his smart car! Very scary to think what can happen!

Someone has told me that on the 500 electric wires run very close to the fuel pipe and if it sparked it can result in a fire, apparently its the same on a BMW?!

I have no idea if it was related to the battery, maybe a spark from that?
It was initially thick black smoke coming from under the bonnet, then it started to bubble the hood then the flames came out, it didn't take long for the whole car to be engulfed and explode.
It's sad, I loved me little fiat!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Smark, you can Google anything and have stuff come up to reinforce whatever you want to believe.

If there were as many fires as the OP wants to believe there would be massive around the world recalls for all Fiat 500s killing or nearly killing humans and for that matter just about any other car you can think of.

Remember VW Bugs in the 60’s and 70’s? Catching fire with the fuel line just above distributor and spark plug wires? That was usually old spark plugs wires and dripping fuel from an added in-line fuel filter not secured and the fuel line deteriorated. I’ve experienced it first hand thinking steel braided fuel lines were a ‘forever’ item not realizing the rubber inside deteriorated over time.

I’m not saying fires can’t happen but overwhelming it’s something else that contributed. For example; incorrect or lack of maintenance. If it was a design or engineering issue the world would know.

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
Car batteries, are usually the cause of vehicle fires. We saw enough of them at the dealership.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ah I c. Which motor? In North America we only have the 1.4 or 1.4 turbo... Haven't heard of any of them spontaneously combusting or that it's extremely rare....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was a 1.2 litre petrol engine.
That's all I know really 🙈 don't really know all that much!
Do you not have those in the US then the 1.2 litres?

·
Registered
112 Posts
No we only have 1.4 and 1.4 turbo. The Fiat dealership you bought from never said anything about anything anytime you took for servicing?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Though there weren't very many, even on this forum there have been a few cases of electrical fire reported, even on the US model. If I recall, one or two of them were caused by BCM. I don't think FCA took any action in terms of warranty or recall.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think because so very very few instances of Fiats catching fire, it is reasonable to question the reason may not necessarily be the design engineering or build of the vehicle. Google most popular cars catching fire and the Fiat 500 doesn't seems to ever come up if I'm not mistaken. If it is because the design engineering or build, it seems at least zero significance from any other vehicle ever made. I would think a car that is being driven is higher temperature than one not driven and seems reasonable heat is a factor, then an onboard extinguisher makes sense. If thought not, then don't park in garage. But no difference than any other car and likely less common on Fiat 500 is what I'd suspect.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts