Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fiat suddenly lost power and cut-out. Never happened before. Called recovery who jump started it and reckoned it was battery as Stop/start will drain battery. Had new one fitted but did the same again! My husband wonders whether it's fuel starvation? It's a Fiat 500 Twinair 64 plate.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
This forum is mostly focused on North American model, and we don’t get twinair or stop/start, and our cars, despite how similar they look, are vastly different from the Euro model, so I don’t know how much help it would be. Now, the generic Things - do you have CEL on? If you do, pull the code out and see what it is. If fuel flow is suspect, you have a lot of places to look into, from the fuel pump, filter, injector, etc. What’s the condition of the air filter? At what condition did you lose power? Under load, or at idle? You need methodical approach to trouble shooting.

·
Registered
788 Posts
+1 on JB's comments.

There would be a couple things I would try, if they expect it's electrical. You could have the new battery tested. Make sure it is fully charged and have them do a load test. I bought a new one that was defective, about 20 years ago. When load tested, they found it had about half the power it should have had. (Basically, it acted like it was an old battery though it was shiny new.) There could be some corrosion in wiring. On the US models, the battery tray is pulled and there are wiring connections under the tray that can corrode. Clean those and all the battery cable connections then reattach.

I hope you'll write back with what you find wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This forum is mostly focused on North American model, and we don’t get twinair or stop/start, and our cars, despite how similar they look, are vastly different from the Euro model, so I don’t know how much help it would be. Now, the generic Things - do you have CEL on? If you do, pull the code out and see what it is. If fuel flow is suspect, you have a lot of places to look into, from the fuel pump, filter, injector, etc. What’s the condition of the air filter? At what condition did you lose power? Under load, or at idle? You need methodical approach to trouble shooting.
Thank you for this advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1 on JB's comments.

There would be a couple things I would try, if they expect it's electrical. You could have the new battery tested. Make sure it is fully charged and have them do a load test. I bought a new one that was defective, about 20 years ago. When load tested, they found it had about half the power it should have had. (Basically, it acted like it was an old battery though it was shiny new.) There could be some corrosion in wiring. On the US models, the battery tray is pulled and there are wiring connections under the tray that can corrode. Clean those and all the battery cable connections then reattach.

I hope you'll write back with what you find wrong.
Thank you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well - I am in North Europe - and have a twinair; but which one do You have - 60, 65, 80,85 or 105 ?
60 + 65 is same engine, just a slightly different trim since (as I recall) 2014 - same with 80 + 85.
Guess it has something to do wih Euro-norms for emissions - but in some countries in Europe they are still sold as 65 and 85 ?!
The 105 is the 80/85 in yet another trim - and not very commom here in Denmark.
Real differences between them are: 60/65 is 962 CC suction enigne - rest are 875 CC Turbo charged (and much more fun to drive ;o)

But they all have Start/Stop - and whoever told You that it drains the battery fogot to mention that that is exactly why S&S somoetimes refuses to work: the ECU monitors a lot of things alone around the S&S - ont thing is battery charge status. So - if the ECU deems that the battery can't take more draining right now - the S&S will be shut off untill battery is fully charged again.
So - battery will NOT be drained by the S&S function !
But over time, any drain and recharge will wear on the battery, eventually leading to a worn out battery - the S&S system is of course a part of this wear, but by far not the only culprit.

Had to replace the battery in our other car (Renault Captur) recently: the S&S used to work 10-20% of the time, but after replacing the OEM battery with a fair priced aftermarket - hey presto: now it works about 90% of the time, just like in our Fiat 500. Embarrassing for Renault as they have 117 bad explanations on chy their S&S works so seldom - and on more than one Renault forum, the solution has been known for quite a while: POS OEM battery !

So - it sounds reasonable to have your knew battery checked as even new OEM batteries may be unable to llift the task - apparently due to bad design/production/whatever.

Another area of immediate suspicion is the generartor and the charge regulator ssystem - did the recovery guy look at that ?
If the charging system doesn't charge - any battery will be drained within short time.
So - have someone with appropriate knowledge measure wether any power reaches the battery or not.

Oh - a pretty sure sign of a bad battery is that when You cannot start the engine (starter may engage but not turning over the engine - or You just heard a click when turning the key) - next thing is a flood of warning messages appears. Can be anything; brake fault, low oil, steering fault - anything. But the only fault is low battery power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts