Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello anyone,

I have a 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking with 69,000 miles. Car has been driven in Texas and New Mexico and I just purchased it for a bargain due to slight hail damage; mostly on the roof of the vehicle. I took a car for an oil change here in Phoenix last week and one of the mechanics at dealership told me an Engine Oil leak has been detected on the front Engine and needs a tech to do an oil leak diagnostic check. Everything else checks out; I changed tires on one of the wheels. Do these type of vehicles have oil leaks after so many years and mileage? Anyone else has this happen and what was the result? I will have it checked out at the Fiat Dealership in a week or two. The mechanics at the place where it was detected told me I'm in no danger but needs to be looked at.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Would this be on the driver's side of the valve cover under the PCV box? Perhaps leaking into one or two of the spark plug cavities on that side? There's an updated O-ring where the box attatches to the valve cover. That's usually the problem--about $5 at the dealer parts counter or you can go to ACE Hardware and get one for less than a dollar. It's best to replace at every spark plug change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to get a detail area of where the leak is coming from. I'm hoping its not from the gasket area of the engine. I"m going to get it checked and I"m thinking of replacing the spark plugs on this vehicle. Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hello anyone,

I have a 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking with 69,000 miles. Car has been driven in Texas and New Mexico and I just purchased it for a bargain due to slight hail damage; mostly on the roof of the vehicle. I took a car for an oil change here in Phoenix last week and one of the mechanics at dealership told me an Engine Oil leak has been detected on the front Engine and needs a tech to do an oil leak diagnostic check. Everything else checks out; I changed tires on one of the wheels. Do these type of vehicles have oil leaks after so many years and mileage? Anyone else has this happen and what was the result? I will have it checked out at the Fiat Dealership in a week or two. The mechanics at the place where it was detected told me I'm in no danger but needs to be looked at.
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
FiatCares

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
FiatCares
Hello Alison,

I'm scheduled to see the Fiat dealership service this Friday at 2pm here in Scottsdale Arizona and he will check it out not only that but everything else with this car 6 years old and with 69,000 mileage. I'll put the results for everyone in here that has similar vehicles like mine. I'm hoping its not a leak from the engine gasket; hoping its from an oil filter that was improperly installed before i purchased this nice car.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hello Alison,

I'm scheduled to see the Fiat dealership service this Friday at 2pm here in Scottsdale Arizona and he will check it out not only that but everything else with this car 6 years old and with 69,000 mileage. I'll put the results for everyone in here that has similar vehicles like mine. I'm hoping its not a leak from the engine gasket; hoping its from an oil filter that was improperly installed before i purchased this nice car.
Okay! Please keep us updated.

Alison
FiatCares

·
Registered
49 Posts
Could be old oil from being changed over and over again without being cleaned off, if the area is the passenger front under the intake, where the oil filter housing is mounted. Its very common for them to leak from the sensor on the oil cooler as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey DuValMatt, I hope its that but this Friday I'll find out when I take my vehicle into the Fiat Dealership service shop.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cool keep me posted. I like to know all issues i can about these cars to spread the knowledge and help the community.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DuvalMatt, please tell me more about the leak from the oil cooler sensor. My Abarth has started leaking from the oil filter housing. I took the under panel off for a better look and the only place I saw oil was dripping from the filter housing- is that thing below it the oil cooler? I am guessing it is, but it looks so small.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DuvalMatt, please tell me more about the leak from the oil cooler sensor. My Abarth has started leaking from the oil filter housing. I took the under panel off for a better look and the only place I saw oil was dripping from the filter housing- is that thing below it the oil cooler? I am guessing it is, but it looks so small.
Cool keep me posted. I like to know all issues i can about these cars to spread the knowledge and help the community.
FInally got the results; the oil leak is from the vacuum pump and PCV O-ring: cost is $621.53 to fix it. They also found A/C LIne leaking: cost to fix it is $728.11. They recommend changing the spark plugs every 30K miles; which is $248.15.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think you can change both those things your self for less than 200 dollars if you are even lightly mechanically inclined. The spark plugs and the pcv/vacuum pump anyways. The ac system only has a few hook ups and they are not very hard to get to either. You can change your own spark plugs for less than 75 dollars with a 5/8 spark plug socket and a 6 inch extension and a few other tools in about and hour. So I wouldn't pay anyone to do that. If you are not mechanically inclined at all it sounds about right but almost all of that cost is labor the parts for either fix are less than $100 as long as it's the vacuum pump seal and not the pump itself

·
Registered
649 Posts
You do have the owner's manual? Follow THAT schedule. My 2013 Sport manual says 30k. Change the plugs yourself for like $30. The $1 PCV O-ring can be easily done at the same time. See my Post #2. Clean the area up with paper towels and then see if you still have an oil leak.

Exactly where is the A/C line leaking? If you paid for a diagnostic they should show you the exact spot. I'll bet it's just a loose connection.

Also you can try next time Bill Luke Fiat in Tempe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The housing may have been damaged from over tightening the oil filter housing or the o ring on the housing needs to be changed which is rather easy. Yes the thing below it is the oil cooler As for the sensor it is attached almost at the bottom if not at the bottom of the cooler near the serpentine belt. If the vehicle is manual there will be 2 sensors, down at the bottom is a crank sensor the other is the oil sensor which has an o ring or seal that sometimes fails. My guess is who ever changed the oil last either didnt change the oil housing o ring or over tightened it and cracked it. It could honestly just be loose I think the socket to fit it is a 27mm but I could be wrong, I would check its o ring and make sure it is not stripped or anything then reinstall it. And see if it stops leaking.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You do have the owner's manual? Follow THAT schedule. My 2013 Sport manual says 30k. Change the plugs yourself for like $30. The $1 PCV O-ring can be easily done at the same time. See my Post #2. Clean the area up with paper towels and then see if you still have an oil leak.

Exactly where is the A/C line leaking? If you paid for a diagnostic they should show you the exact spot. I'll bet it's just a loose connection.

What he said.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also. Its cost $28 dollars at walmart to get the freon and the gauge/pump required to refill your ac system and it is super easy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I have the owner's manual and I"m going to have a friend of mine at work, who is mechanically skilled, help me change the spark plugs and coil ignition connections. I'll see if he can fix the PCV O-ring too. During the check the mechanics didn't pinpoint where the A/C leak was at during their check; they did only an inspection of my vehicle and I wasn't charged for oil leak diagnostic. They found it right away. I"m calling the service guy at Fiat Dealership shop in Scottsdale to pinpoint where the A/C leak is; i'm hoping its just a loose connection.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the owner's manual and I"m going to have a friend of mine at work, who is mechanically skilled, help me change the spark plugs and coil ignition connections. I'll see if he can fix the PCV O-ring too. During the check the mechanics didn't pinpoint where the A/C leak was at during their check; they did only an inspection of my vehicle and I wasn't charged for oil leak diagnostic. They found it right away. I"m calling the service guy at Fiat Dealership shop in Scottsdale to pinpoint where the A/C leak is; i'm hoping its just a loose connection.
They have freon with dye in it and a pair of glasses that go with it so you can see the leak. I think it costs 30 dollars. And why the ignition connections? If the car isnt misfiring or throwing codes then the connections are fine. And there should be a video on YouTube how to change the Pcv oring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They have freon with dye in it and a pair of glasses that go with it so you can see the leak. I think it costs 30 dollars. And why the ignition connections? If the car isnt misfiring or throwing codes then the connections are fine. And there should be a video on YouTube how to change the Pcv oring.
Hey DuValMatt, thank you for all of the information to share in here...I'll be looking at the youtube how to change PCV O-ring

1 - 20 of 33 Posts