Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hello all, I decided to go buy a Vacuum Pump at a dealer shop parts that comes with the O-ring for $169.00 today. Also will buy NGK Iridium spark plug for $15.00 for a set of 4, Engine and Cabin Air Filters to replace and buy those at either Autozone/O'Reillys or Napa auto parts. My co-worker friend told me that we should install all of these parts in 30-45 minutes at my work place parking lot. Now for the leak for my Air Conditioning unit; I think i can get by because my A/C is working fine and don't know of any noticable leaks. I wondering from some in here if the line is loose and needs adjusting/tightening to fix the minute leak; I'll youtube it to see if I can do it myself or have a local mechanic do it for me for much lower than $728.00.

·
Registered
49 Posts
All of that sounds great... but plan for about a hour and a half, just based on things not working as planned.and if your ac is still working normal and you have noticed no difference in its performance then ride it out and see if it gets warmer over time or if you notice warm patches, then it is getting progressively lower on freon and will need to be addressed. There are 2 connections for the ac on the ac compressor itself which you will be able to see/feel when the air intake is removed to do the spark plugs. I believe they are 10mm and you can just check them for tightness... for now.. the other connection is behind the front bumper cover (not so easy to remove or get to), attached to the condenser on the passenger side of the vehicle. Not sure if you can get to it without taking the cover off or not. Good luck, hope all goes as planned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey DuVaMatt, do you happen to buy Engine Air Filters and Cabin Air filters from amazon.com? Lots of the local autozones, Napa and other autoshops auto Air filters costs from $45-60 each. I seen some Engine Air Filters that are priced from $9-25 each call Ecoguard and see they had great reviews. Has anyone bought them with no problems; I seen lots of people buying them from Amazon and had great reviews of these filters.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have purchased and had no problem with the ecogaurd filter for the air filter but make sure to use a good quality mopar OEM oil filter and multi air screen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
FiatCares
Hello FiatCares and everyone,

The oil leak was caused by the deteriorating O-ring from the Air-Oil separator unit that connects to the top of the engine. It was not Vacuum Pump unit that was causing it. We replaced the O-ring, cleaned out the Air-Oil Separator unit, connected it back on and we saved $600. We also replaced the spark plugs and we seen the four spark plugs and look like they were the original ones; so burned out and we saved $200. Me and my mechanical co-worker where I work at took care of this in 30-45 minutes; we had the right tools and the car is running great. I will keep watch for any other leaks and will keep you posted. So pass this around to everyone; likely oil leaks that one sees on the engine is from the O-ring deterioration from the Air-Oil separator unit. So after 6 years and almost 70,000 miles oil leaks may occur from these vehicles. We check out the Vacuum pump on the engine and obviously that's not causing the oil leak. So glad that we saved lots of $$ and time.

·
Registered
649 Posts

The oil leak was caused by the deteriorating O-ring from the Air-Oil separator unit that connects to the top of the engine. It was not Vacuum Pump unit that was causing it. We replaced the O-ring, cleaned out the Air-Oil Separator unit, connected it back on and we saved $600. We also replaced the spark plugs and we seen the four spark plugs and look like they were the original ones; so burned out and we saved $200. Me and my mechanical co-worker where I work at took care of this in 30-45 minutes; we had the right tools and the car is running great. I will keep watch for any other leaks and will keep you posted. So pass this around to everyone; likely oil leaks that one sees on the engine is from the O-ring deterioration from the Air-Oil separator unit. So after 6 years and almost 70,000 miles oil leaks may occur from these vehicles. We check out the Vacuum pump on the engine and obviously that's not causing the oil leak. So glad that we saved lots of $$ and time.
Your welcome! See post #2. Could have saved some hassle.

·
Registered
49 Posts

That's awesome to hear and I'm very glad you took the time to do it yourself because these cars are not hard to work on at all. I'll pass the knowledge around. Moral of the story you most likely shouldn't trust your local fiat dealership.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That's awesome to hear and I'm very glad you took the time to do it yourself because these cars are not hard to work on at all. I'll pass the knowledge around. Moral of the story you most likely shouldn't trust your local fiat dealership.
Here is the picture of the engine and put in some print of where the oil leak occurred after I took off the engine cover..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

I'm happy to hear your concern was taken care of!

Alison
FiatCares

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I'm happy to hear your concern was taken care of!

Alison
FiatCares
Good morning Alison, Did you see the attachment I posted of where typical oil leaks occur? I took a pic of the engine after me and my mechanical co-worker took care of the oil leak and put letters/characters of where the oil leaks occurred due to an O-ring deteoration after 6 years and almost 70,000 miles driven. I hope this is passed to other drivers. I ended up also getting a K&N re-usable engine air filter to ensure my Fiat 500L Trekking is running at its best; it runs so much better and noticed acceleration is fast. The K&N filter lasts 50,000 miles before it needs to be cleaned up and lasts a lifetime; 1,000,000 mile guaranteed.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Find a local mechanic. Those prices are ridiculous. My mechanic changed my plugs for $50. I supplied the plugs. Dealers are outrageous. I think I might have one of the most reliable and issue free 2012 Fiat 500 on the planet. Over 150,000 and not a single oil leak or mechanical problem ever. I should hit 200,000 in about three years.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey DuVaMatt, do you happen to buy Engine Air Filters and Cabin Air filters from amazon.com? Lots of the local autozones, Napa and other autoshops auto Air filters costs from $45-60 each. I seen some Engine Air Filters that are priced from $9-25 each call Ecoguard and see they had great reviews. Has anyone bought them with no problems; I seen lots of people buying them from Amazon and had great reviews of these filters.
I’ve been using Ecoguard filters for years 👍

21 - 33 of 33 Posts