Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

For about a year now I've been using my mother's 500 on the regular and I've noticed the car's performance notably reduces as the tank progressively empties.
For example, once the range starts going past the 200km the car's acceleration performance reduces, changing gears isn't as smooth/jolty and the engine sounds/feels a bit rougher (instead of a fulfilling "hum" it sounds more like a "buzz" if that makes sense?)

The contrast is clearly evident past the 100km.

2011 - 0.9L - 86HP - TwinAir

Has anyone experienced this as well with their 500?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've noticed a possibly connected issue with our 500 Sport. I don't drive it much, but have taken it on a couple road trips. Trying to secure my lodging one evening, I ran the fuel tank lower than ever before. The car started misfiring after making hasty 90 degree turns. It was right turns or left, not both and I don't remember which. It would recover quickly and I changed my priority to finding gasoline. Soon as I filled up that problem was gone and never returned.

·
Registered
910 Posts
We don't have twin airs here but sounds like your gas cap is not relieving pressure.

Wish we had twin airs.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I've noticed a possibly connected issue with our 500 Sport. I don't drive it much, but have taken it on a couple road trips. Trying to secure my lodging one evening, I ran the fuel tank lower than ever before. The car started misfiring after making hasty 90 degree turns. It was right turns or left, not both and I don't remember which. It would recover quickly and I changed my priority to finding gasoline. Soon as I filled up that problem was gone and never returned.
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
FiatCares

·
Registered
80 Posts
Could be clogging fuel filter/ sock filter on fuel pump or having pressure relief problems in the gas cap/tank ventilation system. Or you never know it could be programmed that way for some dumb reason. But my money is on the first 2.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Water in the tank? I’d run some heet first for a tank, than a dose of fuel system cleaner in the next. Pay attention to the dosing. We have a ten gallon tank.

With less fuel on top of the water, the water to fuel ratio goes up. The Heet and cleaner (sea foam) will break the water into smaller droplets which will then better pass through a filter sock so it can be burned at a lower water to fuel ratio.

I could be wrong. If this is not the case, and provided you don't grossly overdose it and used it per the instructions, neither of these will hurt engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.