Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking these little motors get pretty hot and if you choose to have an intake or not running cooler could be a good thing. What if one were to have these louver/fins painted to match and blended into the hood...might make a significant difference??? Thoughts and opinions welcome, not any RICER comments though as it would be a legitimate benefit and not chunks of plastic just 3Med to the car. These are made from carbon fiber but I personally would want them painted IF I even did go for anything like this anyways.

·
Registered
343 Posts
After driving 230 kms yesterday at full throttle (if not speed), I can say - the engine does get HOT. HOTTER than I ever remember any engine on any car I ever had. I washed the car 30 minutes later, after cooling it for 5 minutes, and the engine bay was BURNING hot...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't think their appearance would fit the personality of the car. But there is only one way to know for certain, post some pics once you do it!

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't have to be those exactly but something like that, I also thought about an extractor type look, also an intake like the ZR1 has and then something like the louvers above to allow the air to exit back out, just looking at potential options for improved cooling of the bay as well as better intake temps. More ideas, suggestions, and anyones mods that have been done welcome.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
It doesn't have to be those exactly but something like that, I also thought about an extractor type look, also an intake like the ZR1 has and then something like the louvers above to allow the air to exit back out, just looking at potential options for improved cooling of the bay as well as better intake temps. More ideas, suggestions, and anyones mods that have been done welcome.
Recessed look might be better.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Recessed look might be better.
Probably, I wish I could find a really nice example and see what it would look like on the car, perhaps I will photoshop some later on and see how I like the look. I want to do this for the benefit and not for the looks but I do not wish to sacrifice the look or introduce issues with dirt and debris or water even if the venting occurs too near the intake. On my SS I hit a puddle once that was VERY large and it sucked into my CAI and required me replace the MAF sensor for $135 bucks, no desire for such repeated occurrences. :cool:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like the thinking, I just think that the issue is with how small the hood actually is. It already has the rise in the center, I think adding anything else (even if it is recessed) is just going to make it look too busy.

If you can photoshop something together though, we will all get a better idea of it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
its gotta have the euro look meaning nothing in the center or dual vents, just pick a side and stick it in.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I duno, if done right I think it would look great, here's a quick photoshop.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok this kinda sucks but it has been way too long and I never claimed to be a Photoshop master....lol. This gives some idea of what I mean and with a proper plenum the intake could be made functional and the side venting would assist in underhood temperature relief. Sorry again it looks so rough. Could be painted body color for better blending and probably look much nicer. Whatcha think?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Would it really be that necessary? The Abarth has 170HP and no hood mods and I've seen others tuned to over 230HP that also don't have hood mods and I'm sure they get hotter than our stock 500s.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would it really be that necessary? The Abarth has 170HP and no hood mods and I've seen others tuned to over 230HP that also don't have hood mods and I'm sure they get hotter than our stock 500s.
Is it needed? Maybe not, but it definitely couldn't hurt with so much heat trapped under there, cooler equals more efficient. Assuming they did do this with the Abarth perhaps then we could see a significant difference...it was just a thought in logic that cooling it better would be ideal, not anything I am set on doing at this point. ;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'll take one of the red & white accessories please!

On a serious note....That inlet looks like it would line up with the Road Race intake rather well and could provide a little extra umph!

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll take one of the red & white accessories please!

On a serious note....That inlet looks like it would line up with the Road Race intake rather well and could provide a little extra umph!
Exactly what I was thinking on both accounts! I did think the inlet could be made to look nicer but it certainly looks like it would give a method to introduce actual colder air to the intake, having sucked water into an intake before and replaced the MAF sensor though I would certainly want to make sure it is done properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts