Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. New here. 2014 Fiat 500 1.2 Liter.

Engine won't start. (it did start twice but choked very quickly)

Connected a car computer (which my nice neighbor had).

Showing this code:
P0115
engine coolant temperature sensor 1 circuit

I also checked DATA STREAM on computer:
Noticed ECT (engine coolant temp, right?) shows (engine is off, obviously, since I can't start it) 130 Degrees Celsius (see pic). This seems to be off, right?
Also looked at MAP 92kPa.

Help would me much appreciated!

Please note I am not very technical - trying to figure this out because I am on a budget and I know if i'll call a tow truck to sent the car to official Fiat here - I am looking at a serious bill.

Thanks so much!

Pics

Rectangle Font Handwriting Display device Magenta

Font Communication Device Gadget Rectangle Electronic signage

Communication Device Gadget Font Electronic device Telephony

Attachments

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Update:

I am now figuring out that pic 4 shows IAT (which means "Intake Air Temp") at 18C which is correct (google weather shows 19C here today).
But pic 3 shows ECT (engine coolant temp) shows 130C - which sure is faulty cause the engine is OFF and was off all night. Right?

So what does that mean?

Thanks so much

Mobile phone Product Telephony Communication Device Gadget

· Super Moderator
1,508 Posts
If the engine control module thinks that the coolant is 130 degrees it will not let you run the engine.

As a first step, make sure your battery and grounds are good as these can cause wonky sensor readings. Second, check the wiring to the coolant temp sensor to ensure that it has continuity and if good, replace the coolant temp sensor.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the engine control module thinks that the coolant is 130 degrees it will not let you run the engine.

As a first step, make sure your battery and grounds are good as these can cause wonky sensor readings. Second, check the wiring to the coolant temp sensor to ensure that it has continuity and if good, replace the coolant temp sensor.
Thank you for your answer. I do appreciate it.

When you say "your battery and grounds" - what does that mean? Here is a picture of the battery (if that helps at all). What do you mean by "your grounds"? Excuse my ignorance. I know ground mean - non-electric, which goes to the ground. But how do I check that?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

· Super Moderator
1,508 Posts
There are various locations throughout the engine bay where the wiring harness is grounded to the body of the car. This generation of 500 are known to have poorly attached ground cables or be located in areas which are prone to corrosion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts