Fiat 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Bijjack8888:

Im not too smooth with the Blue & Me system, but try turning the auto play OFF through voice command.. If it is ON, it will turn ON and cycle with the ignition cycle. If that doesnt work, Ill ask around here, but in the meantime, check with the studio. The dome light is easy to replace.. however, when you remove the plastic dome , be care not to break the plastic tabs....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh no... not again!

Oh no! I just bought a Fiat 500c on Sunday... Its Thursday it has been in the shop twice! Check Engine came on at 100 miles... they cleared it. It came two days later at 198 miles and now they have it at the dealership. I've owned 12 cars, and this is the first new car I have ever bought. I wanted my wife to have a safe and reliable car after all the check engine light drama I have put her though in the past. This car has won the record for buyers remorse ever.

The think is its even more heartbreaking because she LOVES the car. Lemon law will apply next time the light comes on... so sad to see it go... but based on this forum post... its just a matter or 100 miles until we have to say goodbye.

Can any one give us some hope here? Has anyone got their car fixed and stayed fixed for a few months before the new check engine light appears?

·
Registered
794 Posts
OnNoMyFiat,

Stay calm; every mechanical item will have problems. Let the dealer look at the car; they will clearly be aware of your mood and very anxious to get your car cleared and back to you. There are many Fiat owners here who have had no problems, and love their cars. I had a VW Jetta that had the glove box door break three times very soon after I bought it. It was just an assembly alignment issue with the hinge. They fixed it and the car was fine.

You haven't told us what the check engine light was alerting you to; major or minor?

Just so you know, one of the car co-ops here in Vancouver has at least two 500's. I doubt they would have bought another if the first one was a problem. These cars get driven by a whole bunch of persons who are not likely mechanically-compassionate drivers or car buffs. And another friend had a 500 as a rental in LA recently. Again, if it can live in a rental fleet, it can live with you.

If you have persistent problems, then start to talk about more serious remedies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh no! I just bought a Fiat 500c on Sunday... Its Thursday it has been in the shop twice! Check Engine came on at 100 miles... they cleared it. It came two days later at 198 miles and now they have it at the dealership. I've owned 12 cars, and this is the first new car I have ever bought. I wanted my wife to have a safe and reliable car after all the check engine light drama I have put her though in the past. This car has won the record for buyers remorse ever.

The think is its even more heartbreaking because she LOVES the car. Lemon law will apply next time the light comes on... so sad to see it go... but based on this forum post... its just a matter or 100 miles until we have to say goodbye.

Can any one give us some hope here? Has anyone got their car fixed and stayed fixed for a few months before the new check engine light appears?

I got my car back! It has been 1 week (since the first two check engine lights came on our brand-new car). As of now, I have 600 miles on it with no check engine light. Yay! Dealer flashed the computer and replaced some other part. Its a shame that this had to be my first impression. Since this seems to happen to a lot of people, I hope they will find a way to check/fix the new cars before they sell them.

For the first 198 miles we only drove it in town in traffic at an average of 17 miles per hour. We kept the RPMs below 3,000 when possible. We were trying to be nice and break the engine in slow. The mechanic indicated that we might be being too nice to it and should take it on the highway.

So I am good for now. I'll report back if I get another check engine light. If I don't post, assume it has continued to work correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OnNoMyFiat,

If you have persistent problems, then start to talk about more serious remedies.
Ummm... I'm not sure what you mean. I just thought this was a thread to share check engine light experiences and hopefully find consolation & solutions. Sorry I left a message that you didn't think belonged in the forum.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
Ummm... I'm not sure what you mean. I just thought this was a thread to share check engine light experiences and hopefully find consolation & solutions. Sorry I left a message that you didn't think belonged in the forum.
I think he just meant you may want to make some demands with the dealer and push for quicker/better solutions.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I got my car back! It has been 1 week (since the first two check engine lights came on our brand-new car). As of now, I have 600 miles on it with no check engine light. Yay! Dealer flashed the computer and replaced some other part. Its a shame that this had to be my first impression. Since this seems to happen to a lot of people, I hope they will find a way to check/fix the new cars before they sell them.

For the first 198 miles we only drove it in town in traffic at an average of 17 miles per hour. We kept the RPMs below 3,000 when possible. We were trying to be nice and break the engine in slow. The mechanic indicated that we might be being too nice to it and should take it on the highway.

So I am good for now. I'll report back if I get another check engine light. If I don't post, assume it has continued to work correctly.
OhnomyFiat: If you d like, please PM me with your VIN and I can look into whats causing this, and I can document it in a corporate file in the event that it happens again. Its always good to document everything... as far as Lemon law, its a little more involved than qualifying the next time the check engine light comes on.. Im glad the studio was able to resolve it for you.

·
Registered
401 Posts
This is the first I have heard of any of this. So sad. I have had my car for a couple of months now, and been on this site for a week or 2 longer, and this is the first I have seen of any real problem with the 500.

Sounds like a fluke to me. But it also sounds like BigJack had a poor dealer experience. I might go to another one in the future if it was me.

Anyone who finds this thread when researching the car, just know there are MANY people here who love their 500s and have had many trouble free miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, it has been almost month since buying our lemon, and fiasco continues...

My wife's Fiat also has several warning lights on and a non-working speedometer. So, my wife is without a working car at all now, no loaner even. The dealership is too busy and nobody is ever available to drive a loaner out. So, I suppose my wife doesn't get to buy groceries or take our son to his 18 month doctor's appointment. She was suppose to get her replacement this last Monday. They did not send out the paperwork to my base until then, even though they knew they had to send it out last week. This is without a doubt the worst new car experience I have ever had. What truly angers me is how the dealership is now in a joking and lackadaisical mood when my wife calls inquiring about the replacement.

Also, Fiat Corporate responding to people on here by telling us the finer points of lemon law does not equate to happy customers. Get enough remorseful buyers together and you have some great publicity.

A new car should not have any lights illuminate. Yes, the dealership should even make sure that the wiper fluid is topped off. We bought brand new cars that were suppose to be reliable daily drivers, not a used '67 Camaro SS with a spun main bearing to be happily diagnosing in the garage as our hobby.

Hopefully by May my wife will have a reliable car again, and I do hope it's a Fiat 500.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Well, it has been almost month since buying our lemon, and fiasco continues...

My wife's Fiat also has several warning lights on and a non-working speedometer. So, my wife is without a working car at all now, no loaner even. The dealership is too busy and nobody is ever available to drive a loaner out. So, I suppose my wife doesn't get to buy groceries or take our son to his 18 month doctor's appointment. She was suppose to get her replacement this last Monday. They did not send out the paperwork to my base until then, even though they knew they had to send it out last week. This is without a doubt the worst new car experience I have ever had. What truly angers me is how the dealership is now in a joking and lackadaisical mood when my wife calls inquiring about the replacement.

Also, Fiat Corporate responding to people on here by telling us the finer points of lemon law does not equate to happy customers. Get enough remorseful buyers together and you have some great publicity.

A new car should not have any lights illuminate. Yes, the dealership should even make sure that the wiper fluid is topped off. We bought brand new cars that were suppose to be reliable daily drivers, not a used '67 Camaro SS with a spun main bearing to be happily diagnosing in the garage as our hobby.

Hopefully by May my wife will have a reliable car again, and I do hope it's a Fiat 500.
I am here to assist clients and provide them correct information and answer any/all questions them may have. I responded to your lemon law comment because your vehicle does not qualify for LL or replacement/buyback. I post correct LL facts for you and for any other subscriber on the forum. Im sorry you are having issues with your vehicle, and I am here to help. Your vehicle will be repaired per the terms of the warranty; you can always PM me with your VIN and studio information. I think you will find that a majority of the subscribers on this forum and others, are happy that I am here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seeing as few kind words are exchanged these days when things go right, but angry ones always seem to surface. I think it's time for an update to my story-

Well, the dealership made things right today, more than right. The delivered not a loaner, but our replacement complete with upgrades (sunroof, pearl tri-coat, alloy wheels) for the hassle today. This is what customer service is all about. Due to the actions of the studio, they not only made a very irate and disgruntled customer into one happy buyer again, but also an ambassador of the brand. They went above and beyond what lemon law, warranties, or even customer demands were.

I truly believe that the studios will make or break the brand through not just dealing with the happy buyers, but those in the minority that may have issues. And I do believe that those who regret their purchase are in the very small yet vocal minority.

Will I recommend a 500 to anyone now? Yes. Will I recommend our studio? YES and YES! Do I wish I had waited to fill out the customer survey until today? Yes, lol.

Finally, to anyone researching this topic, please be aware that our original yellow 500 was a very early build and we never had any issues with our 500 loaner, and more than likely with our new white 500.

Time to go post on other threads and enjoy our little go-cart. I only wish that I had bought one for myself as well as for my wife.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a brand new Fiat 500 Sport last weekend, I drove 300 miles to a dealership to trade in my old Ford on it, I love the little car, its fun to drive and people stare and stare everywhere I go, I have only seen one other Fiat in the town I live in. The car has 800 miles on it total and this evening the "have the engine checked" light came on. I don't have a clue why it came on or what its for and the closest Fiat dealer is the one I bought the car from about 300 miles away....I'm just sick over this, I have owned many vehicles and this is the first NEW car I have ever bought

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts
I bought a brand new Fiat 500 Sport last weekend, I drove 300 miles to a dealership to trade in my old Ford on it, I love the little car, its fun to drive and people stare and stare everywhere I go, I have only seen one other Fiat in the town I live in. The car has 800 miles on it total and this evening the "have the engine checked" light came on. I don't have a clue why it came on or what its for and the closest Fiat dealer is the one I bought the car from about 300 miles away....I'm just sick over this, I have owned many vehicles and this is the first NEW car I have ever bought

Welcome to the forum.

You can get a cheap reader or take it by a local Advance Auto or Auto Zone and have it read, might not be a big deal so worth checking it out. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I second that info from Tweak, I bought an inexpensive OBII from ebay and I have used it several times now, not just for when the car suddenly drops a CEL on me but also when I'm doing my own work on the car and want to check my own work out. The great thing about these readers is that they work on most vehicles out there. I've used it to check my other car as well. They are intuitive and easy even for a person who is not a gearhead. I strongly advise to get one of your own. My nearest studio was 50+ miles away and I got tired of making the drive only to be told there was a glich they took care of. You can find out if it's just a glitch yopurself and erase the CEL. At the very least you should investigate these readers and see if they are something you may use someday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my brand new 2013 Fiat 500 Sport last March (thank you tax return) as my first ever new car and it has been flawless until last October when the engine light came on. Took it to the studio and they told me it was an evap leak. They changed a hose, flashed the system and it was good to go... until this week when the light returned. Kind of a bummer because I love the car and the service from the studio has been good but it hurts when they need to keep the car a week to fix the issue. The car only has 4443 miles on it over the year I have owned it and it gets frustrating having to defend my choice of car to my friends and family while it's had these issues. I love the car but Fiat is getting a bad rap in my circle. Scheduled to take the car back in on Tuesday and keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I purchased my brand new 2013 Fiat 500 Sport last March (thank you tax return) as my first ever new car and it has been flawless until last October when the engine light came on. Took it to the studio and they told me it was an evap leak. They changed a hose, flashed the system and it was good to go... until this week when the light returned. Kind of a bummer because I love the car and the service from the studio has been good but it hurts when they need to keep the car a week to fix the issue. The car only has 4443 miles on it over the year I have owned it and it gets frustrating having to defend my choice of car to my friends and family while it's had these issues. I love the car but Fiat is getting a bad rap in my circle. Scheduled to take the car back in on Tuesday and keeping my fingers crossed.
I see Small/Large evap leak CELs quite often - usual repair for us is to replace the gas cap and ESIM switch; which detects evap leaks in the system...essentially get stuck in the "on" or detect position and send a false code basically. It's worth noting I have never had a car return with the same code or problem after the repair. Best of luck on your service visit.

·
Super Moderator
22,119 Posts

Welcome to the forum, hope your issue gets completely resolved and you can get back to enjoying your car!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check engine light came on AFTER dealer FLASHED and UPDATED computer program.
Dealer installed evaporative system and seal vapor canister. That DID NOT HELP
Next week dealer installed Modle Engine controller and REFLASHED back to old software

SO FAR, no check engine light.

Can someone from FIAT explain why the software that you UPDATED was broken? WHY cause all this aggregation

41 - 60 of 75 Posts