Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know just how different the exhaust routing is between the European Abarths and a US Spec 500? Akrapovic makes an exhaust that sounds like perfection. I'm wondering if there's any way to make it work.

Link to exhaust example:

·
Registered
707 Posts
since i've heard that on youtube. i've been trying to contact Akrapovic about an exhaust set up for our 500's

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've got a few buddies who have gone with Akrapovic systems for their new BMW M3's. It sounds amazing plus the quality and weight reductions it offers is quite impressive.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Listening to this I think the exhaust I mentioned here http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1684 sounds about as close to this as I have heard so far, the other option Magneti Marelli and maybe even SuperSprint are also nice...anyone have any clue to the likely costs for the Abarth exhaust if anyone can even estimate what it might be...maybe just go with Competizione and be done with it. Thanks to all discussing exhausts, I really am enjoying it all!

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
update?
http://www.fifty-go.com/item-stock/akrapovic.html

the conversion for 156,450Yen > ~$2030USD

^^ this value seems more likely unfortunately. but that's for the Abarth titanium system.

If that's the case then I'll not be going this route, this car doesn't merit that kind of expense for a single item, if it were a more expensive car and offered a huge power output stock then I'd say it's not too bad but the 500, even at 1K or so you really are going higher than you probably should. Given the ability I wish I could just figure out the exact brand and model used in making the Competizione exhaust, I would snag the muffler and have the rest made by my local muffler shop, mandrel bent of course. @2K thanks, but no thanks, appreciate the post phat. :cool:

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Akrapovic sells for approximately $1,600 in the UK, plus $850 or so if you go for the remote controlled exhaust valve (how cool is that?).

Don't count on putting this exhaust on your 500 to make it sound like the Abarth in the video. Exhausts for turbo cars are very different from N/A cars. You need to get the piping diameter and backpressure perfect for them to make power while also considering noise level. Turbo cars have a great natural muffler system - the turbo itself - and there seems to be no limits as to how big and unrestricted you can go with their exhausts to make power, so their systems are normally way too loud, raspy sounding and free-flowing (which could rob power) for N/A cars.

The Akrapovic is an axle-back system, and all the Euro axle-backs need to be modified to fit the US cars. Magneti Marelli is supplying a connecting pipe with their Euro exhausts to fit our cars instead for modifying them. Shouldn't be too hard to make a custom pipe if you don't want to hack the Akrapovic. That is assuming the Abarth is routed the same way as the Euro 500, which I'm told it is but of course haven't tried it myself.

Also there's the US bumper size, which sticks out a couple of inches more than the Euro ones, making some Euro exhausts too small for our cars (unless the Abarth also has bigger bumpers).

FWIW, the exhaust should bolt on to the chassis at least.

We're getting an Abarth exhaust from another company to see how it fits back there with our spare tires and how hard it would be to modify. Also so when our Abarth gets here we'll be ready to start modding :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts