Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a current a 500 owner, but I've always had a soft spot for the Abarth models.
Shame that the NA 500 lineup is being dropped after the 19 model year.

Curious if anyone knows if it would be possible to put an Abarth 595 Euro front bumper onto the North American Abarth 500 models?
Would there be clearance issues between NA & Euro models?

2019 Abarth NA Exterior 1(edit).jpg
2018 Fiat Abarth 595 Euro Exterior 1(edit).jpg

Looks like the refreshed series 4 Euro models have larger LED DRLs below the headlights (probably will need custom wiring to make operational in NA)...along with no safety reflectors near the bottom on the wheel well that the NA models have (dont care for this).

Thanks,
Tabz

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks like the 2018 595 Euro-model has just about same front light set-up as my 2016 Popstar Euro; top row is short beam and blinkers (and possibly another position light), one floor down is DRL and a halo (yes - 1 bulb for DRL - swithces off when short beam is turned on and one halo allways on) - and longbeam !
Bottom row must be fog liights - don't have them on mine.
But - a word of caution: the 2016 euro model grew just a hair over an inch in length since the'15 model.
What that means compared to a 2019 N/A-model in terms of mounting points etc - that could be a hairy challenge !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

Jesper,
Maybe your euro 2015 to 2016 model grew in length due to the series 3 to 4 change (i think our NA models continued with series 3 into 2019 with some minor updates).
Does your 2016 euro popstar model have a turbo setup?

The 2018+ NA spec model pictures ive seen online seem to suggest the front bumper on our side of the pond have a slightly longer & stuck out front bumper (as compared to our 2012-2017 non turbo models).

Just speculation here on my part, but i assume this is because all NA base 500 and abarth 500 models now have a turbo engine and need the additional space up front for hardware associated with the turbo setup. I think our NA non-abarth models from 2012-2017 lacked a turbo and therefore did not need additional hardware space up front previously (front bumper did not visually stick out as much, to my eyes). Maybe this was the same case for base euro series 3 models too with non turbo engines from 2015 and prior...

Mangavideo,
I thought I saw that bumper on speedmotive site a few days ago, but im not able to find it now (maybe im searching with wrong key words). But from what i can remember, that bumper was spec'd for the NA model with the smaller DRLs...but im hoping it is possible, with minimal mounting modificationse, to import. and install a euro series-4 specd 595 bumper on our NA series-3 Abarth 500 platforms.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tbcaddy: Yes, mine is the twinair 80; 875 cc w/turbo, 2016 Euro model that came out late November 2015.
But that doesn't matter to size - all euro models pre-2015 had same body. Or allmost: Pop, Lounge and a number of special editions (local variants) is same (engines: 0.9 65/65 twinair, .09 80/85 twinair, 1.2 and 1.4) - the Sport I'm not sure about since it has different bumpers - and came ion 1.2 and 1.4 versions. Abarth could also be different - but are scarce here due to price (and registration taxes). Which of course means that the 595 and 695 are less than one in a million here :eek:(
There may have been smaller facelifts before 2015 that I don't know about, but since the 2016 came out, they all have same body. (I haven't seen a 2016 Sport here - but now we are supposed to have the new, 3 cylinder engine instead of the twinair - haven't seen it yet, though).
But it is specifically mentioned that all 2016-bodies are about 1 inch longer - and I believe it's most noticeable on the rear bumper: the indent (shelf if you like) leading in under the rear door looks deeper that before. And that is in direct comparison.
Rest of the body is 100% the same - according to the factory.
Oh - one minor change happened before; the mustacche changed with series 4 - but it has changed before.
Not shure if it wasn't special for the early twinair 85's - but it looks like the air sllit just above the front license plate changed back then.
At least a popular add-on cannot be used for later models: the glue-on front bull bar.
Would love it, but I have not yet seen it for post 2016 models.

·
Registered
12,641 Posts
The Abarth, European, Asian, Middle East, and Australian, wiring harness and placement. Is different, for the headlamps, turn signal, LED driving lamps. Structural Brackets crash bar differs too, for the bumper, sensors for the airbag. The head lamps, and driving lamps need to be replaced to. Software to activate the lighting, and air bag systems. Sounds like a very costly conversion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for the replies.

Im assuming the airbag sensors usually clip/attach onto the internal bumper rail and not the exterior plastic bumper itself. Of the few youtube vids ive seen where the NA spec front bumpers are taken off, there does not seem to be any airbag sensors needing to be dettached.
...aside from the lighting wiring being an issue, theoretically, if clearance issues are not a major obstacle between NA and Euro platforms a euro bumper may be able to fit with some minor mods.

Curious how different the internal bumper safety crash bar/braces are between both models. Anyone know a good website where one can attain both NA and Euro spec factory diagrams for the front ends?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts