Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unconfirmed so far, but VERY promising-looking offering from my fantastic Mercury Insurance agent Connie Bauman (714-968-8008):

The attached $850 quote is for an eGolf, so 500e may be more.

From the attached brochure's page 3: "Platinum Protection. Factory-like coverage that remedies ANY mechanical or electrical breakdown of your vehicle that is not specifically excluded. See Exclusions Overview below for details." (by zooming in to bottom right of that page)

That "overview" is apparently a poorly-condensed version of the actual document: She verbally confirmed that it means "Excludes components that are not EITHER mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, OR hydraulic" (Like what? Nuclear-powered?).

It does NOT cover items that are already covered by the manufacturer (like our 8yr/100k drive batteries) or "wear items" like our $150 12V batteries, but I got verbal confirmation that it DOES cover the Power Inverter Module (PIM) & the Onboard Charger!

I THINK she also confirmed coverage of the Electric Propulsion Motor & the Battery Pack Control Module, but someone should confirm those AND the motor's control system (Motor Controller?) & report back here. I've bugged her enough already, considering I can't even buy it myself since my factory warranty is expired*.

It might also be wise for someone to have her confirm coverage (& report back here please) of the following:

- 1-Speed Gearbox. There's no traditional "transmission". Drive & Reverse don't even engage/disengage gears, they just turn on/off power in the appropriate direction.

- ELECTRIC Power Steering (motors, controllers, etc.). The brochure attached specifies hydraulic, which is now rare even on gas cars.

- Charging Port (where you plug in to charge the car).

- Onboard 12V Battery Charger. Equivalent to a gas car's alternator. Often called "DC-to-DC Converter". It charges the same-as-gas 12V batt from the 300+V propulsion batt.

- "Contactors". (electrical relays like a gas car's starter solenoid).

*You MUST purchase it 1 (or 2?) months BEFORE the 4-year factory warranty expires, AND with no more than a certain mileage (50k?). Someone could report back here with those details too.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interested. My factory warranty runs out in December and with a 75 mile commute each day the miles are racking up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Going off my previous experiences with having 2 insurances cover things, I would be VERY VERY hesitant on this. They ONLY cover things that aren't on the original warranty. Well what happens when BOTH places say it's something else? Like the recent thread about bad battery pack where they insisted it was the inverter, they replaced the inverter and less than a week later the car is doing the same thing. I could see where the aftermarket warranty would claim it was the battery the whole time, and refuse to pay you back for the parts/labor.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, email is [email protected]

She is SUPER honest & helpful, so feel free to direct any questions to her.

In the scenario above,
where the repair facility insisted it was the inverter,
I believe Mercury would pay to replace the inverter,
(minus the $50 deductible)
since that's what the "experts" said was needed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Only a $50 deductable too? Seems like a **** good deal, if it is legit.

USAA used to have a pretty good extended warranty program. I knew a guy that blew his engine on his 10sec EVO and got it replaced. Probably why they no longer offer extended warranties. Lol

·
Registered
549 Posts
Someone posted before, that extended warranties always have a clause that it will not cover a repair more than the market value of the car. Something you have to keep in mind with a 500e.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen that excellent point before, but in that case it should still PAY that amount. Maybe someone can ask Connie that too, & report back. Even if not, for $850 it seems like it's worth it just to cover any repair that's less than the car's value. It might be worth finding out if they allow the owner to choose used parts to keep the cost below the car's value.

Mercury Insurance is pretty well-respected as a "legit" company.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
528 Posts
I’ve had mercury insurance since 1997 they treated me well thus far, rates are competitive and never had issues with them in anyway. They got me as a insured for life.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: I found a note I wrote:

"MUST PURCHASE 90 DAYS PRIOR TO FACTORY WARRANTY EXPIRATION?"

The question mark indicates I wasn't positive, so it's still possible it's 1 month or 6 months, but hopefully someone with just over 6 months left will be motivated to find out & report back here.

Also note that this warranty extension (pg 4 of the brochure) is
TRANSFERABLE TO A SUBSEQUENT OWNER!!! The resale value of that alone is likely much more than the cost.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
528 Posts
My car has a date of first use 10/18/2017 I still have a full year and couple months left before B2B expires and miles are almost 28k as of now. If it covers the expensive stuff and perhaps towing I might bite HOWEVER, at the rate of economic times I’m afraid in a couple years Fiat and it’s dealers may ceased to exist making repairs a lot harder.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would sell it just before the warranty runs out. Looking through these threads the average time it takes to fix these cars is 2-3 months. Mine is going on 3+ months.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Considering that just before the warranty runs out, its resale value would be MUCH less than if it has a transferrable 10yr/100k warranty, I would add that warranty myself just before it reaches the time limit (as noted above, I think it's somewhere between 1 & 6 months prior to OEM exp.)

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well maybe I'm stupid, but I think I'd pay $1k more for a car with a 10yr/100k warranty, than one with NO warranty.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well maybe I'm stupid, but I think I'd pay $1k more for a car with a 10yr/100k warranty, than one with NO warranty.
Then there are those who go for the absolutely cheapest one for sale....so it can go both ways, the cars value is what someone is willing to pay...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I like the car a lot I guess it means something to someone who really plans on keeping the car long term and not want to be sticker shocked at any repairs the car may need. The likelihood of something going bad on a EV is lesser then a gasser with more moving parts but repairs on a EV parts wise seem much more expensive. I’m not planning on keeping it beyond the HV battery warranty for sure.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Personally I'm not "for sure" quite yet, especially if our batteries continue to age so slowly. After battery warranty expiration it may have nearly NO resale value so as long as it runs I may as well keep it & drive for free til it dies & then scrap it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts