Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my car sits and idles I start to smell a lot of exhaust fumes inside the car. I would expect to smell some but it's very strong like its coming in the vents and such. I don't notice it in my wife's FIAT only in mine. Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have not noticed this at all. Is it in a garage or outdoors when you notice this?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Also, are your windows down? My windows are rarely down, I go right from heat to A/C to heat as the seasons change. I don't smell any coming in the vents.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sounds like a leak in the exhaust system somewhere - even if I stand behind mine while it's running I hardly notice exhaust smell. But then, I have a Triumph motorcycle with no emissions equipment that really smells exhausty when it's not moving, so perhaps I'm just desensitized.

Still, it sounds like a leak to me - especially since you say you have another 500 that doesn't smell.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No mods, windows up, & outside. I figured at my next service I'll have them look at. Its almost to 12,000 so it'll be soon.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
When my car sits and idles I start to smell a lot of exhaust fumes inside the car. I would expect to smell some but it's very strong like its coming in the vents and such. I don't notice it in my wife's FIAT only in mine. Anyone else experience this?

The exhaust coming out of the cat converter doesn't have much of any smell once up to temperature. Smells somewhat when engine/converter is cold. I would suggest something like a manifold leak or at least before the converter if you are smelling the old gas smelly exhaust smell.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It might 'appear' to be exhaust fumes but it could be something else. When you get a chance, do the following, after your 500 is warmed up [take it for a good 30 minute drive], then open the hood and smell by the oil cap area of the engine. It might be an oil leak. There have been reports of a falty oil line [hose] that is easily fixed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts