Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to All,

I rented a 500 Pop a few weekends ago to see if this was the car for me. If anyone is in the Metro NYC Area and wants to rent one, Genius Car Rental has them. (201) 567-4090.

Overall, I like the Pop a lot. The styling is very cool. It's amazing when you drive one how you really don't feel like you're in a small car. I drove nearly 600 miles with my longest trip being to the New Jersey Shore from my home (100 miles each way). I drive the 500 both one the N.J. Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway through 2 major thunderstorms with trucks and busses everywhere.The 500 held it's own.

I did have 2 concerns I wanted to mention. First, I found the ride to be a bit jittery. It's seems like every imperfection in the road was picked up and transmitted to my back. Although the car is fun to drive the "ride" seems nervous to me. I arrived feeling tense. I know it's a light car with a short wheelbase priced around $16,000. so am I expecting too much?

The other concern relates to when I re-fueled the car and the auto nozzle didn't shut off. This caused a gas spillage and the gas fumes entered the cabin of the 500. The smell lasted a few hours. I looked and noticed that he fuel port does not appear to be sealed. Is it possible that fuel could have entered the cabin? Probably not right?

The 500 has plenty of room for me. I am 6'1'' and it felt fine. I might have trouble with a sun roof though. Since my entire family and a few neighbors wanted a ride in the car, I had 2 smaller adults in the back at one point. They were fine and had enough room.

I was very pleased with the power the car had. I didn't drive the 500 in the sport mode and still had plenty of passing and highway entry power.

So in the end, the "ride" is my biggest concern. I was hoping for the ride to be more comfortable. Any thoughts on this? Is this something you get use to? All comments will be welcomed.

Thanks!

Bob Castoro

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
I have a sport model, really like the ride quality compared to the other very small car I own. Only on grooved highway roads, I notice feed back thought the steering. It handles really smooth on the highway. Feels like I'm in a large car. Another member, on this site had the same issue, with fuel spill over. Never been a issue with me. Must have to do will pump design. I don't know.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Sport model here and I also drove a Pop and both felt good to me while driving, no concerns with ride quality and since I eventually plan for springs or coil-overs I know and expect the ride to become a bit more harsh which is fine to me as well. As for the gas I never let the auto-shutoff handle things as a "just in case" but I also don't think it is the car so much as the pump most likely.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sport model here and I also drove a Pop and both felt good to me while driving, no concerns with ride quality and since I eventually plan for springs or coil-overs I know and expect the ride to become a bit more harsh which is fine to me as well. As for the gas I never let the auto-shutoff handle things as a "just in case" but I also don't think it is the car so much as the pump most likely.
I have a sport model, really like the ride quality compared to the other very small car I own. Only on grooved highway roads, I notice feed back thought the steering. It handles really smooth on the highway. Feels like I'm in a large car. Another member, on this site had the same issue, with fuel spill over. Never been a issue with me. Must have to do will pump design. I don't know.
Thanks Tweak & Smark,

Thanks for your posts! I really like the car and hope to join you are owners soon!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hertz in Downtown Orlando has a few pop models to rent. Then be sure to check us out at Fields Fiat....right around the corner!

Larry Taylor
Studio Director
Fields FIAT
Main: (407) 674-8830
Fax: (407) 674-8831

Please "Like" us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Directions - 131 N. Orange Ave. Suite 1 - Orlando, FL - 32801​

1 - 5 of 5 Posts