Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread, someone mentioned that the Mopar extended warranty only covers gas cars. They tried to sell it to me anyway, but that's not my point:

My Mercury Insurance agent says they have an extended warranty that does cover everything including electrical for 7 years 70k miles IF you buy it something like a month & 1k miles before the factory warranty ends.

Now that mine has expired, the only thing they can sell me doesn't cover electical.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd like to know the answer to this one as well. The mopar sites I have found will sell a warranty for expired cars, including the 500e, but I can't seem to determine what is actually covered. After my failed motor (car is still in the shop waiting for a new motor), I would really like to get a warranty if something else fails.

Edit: I called mopar and they confirmed, the only warranty they offer on the 500e is a "powertrain warranty" that covers engine, transmission and drive system. The rep couldn't really answer how that translated to the 500e. He said it definitely did not cover "electrical".

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After my failed motor...

...the only warranty they offer on the 500e is a "powertrain warranty" that covers engine, transmission and drive system... it definitely did not cover "electrical".
Thanks, but it would be MUCH more accurate to say "My 500e drove fine, right into a dealership, & then they SAID 'the motor has failed' !!!"

(I've been following that thread's details).

500e has no engine, just an electrical motor which Mopar could easily claim isn't covered. They might even be able to claim it doesn't have a transmission, since reverse only drives the motor backwards, & I believe even "neutral" just disconnects the power instead of disconnecting the gears like a traditional tranny does. 500e electrical shifter wouldn't be covered. "Drive system" might cover the half-shafts & CV joints, but that almost certainly wouldn't be worth the cost of the extended warranty just for that.

Any way I look at it, for ME* electrical/electronic is the MAIN thing I'd be looking for from a warranty. If any car I ever owned drove fine into a dealership & they told me "your half-shafts failed", I'd tell them "No, they didn't. Give it back."

* I have the skill to replace my own mechanical parts, &/or knowledge to get it done at an independent service center without getting ripped off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks, but it would be MUCH more accurate to say "My 500e drove fine, right into a dealership, & then they SAID 'the motor has failed' !!!"

500e has no engine, just an electrical motor which Mopar could easily claim isn't covered. They might even be able to claim it doesn't have a transmission, since reverse only drives the motor backwards, & I believe even "neutral" just disconnects the power instead of disconnecting the gears like a traditional tranny does. 500e electrical shifter wouldn't be covered. "Drive system" might cover the half-shafts & CV joints, but that almost certainly wouldn't be worth the cost of the extended warranty just for that.

Any way I look at it, for ME* electrical/electronic is the MAIN thing I'd be looking for from a warranty. If any car I ever owned drove fine into a dealership & they told me "your half-shafts failed", I'd tell them "No, they didn't. Give it back."

* I have the skill to replace my own mechanical parts, &/or knowledge to get it done at an independent service center without getting ripped off.
I've been waiting for my resolution on the motor with my dealer before posting anything further in that thread. I work on all of my cars, and have a lift in my garage, but after watching the tear down of the 500e, the electronics on this car are beyond my expertise. I can fix anything mechanical on a car, but the HV stuff spooks me.

But back on topic, I found these guys are offering e-car extended warranties:

One big problem I see though is the excluded items: HV battery, motor, inverter. I think I will give them a call and see if they can craft a different policy for the 500e.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I work on all of my cars, and have a lift in my garage, but after watching the tear down of the 500e, the electronics on this car are beyond my expertise. I can fix anything mechanical on a car, but the HV stuff spooks me.
Me too about work on all my cars*, BUT it's not just HV stuff that spooks me. ANY modern computerized car, can be claimed by the dealer to "fail" after they plug in so incorrectly that if fries their meter. "$6.2k please, cuz your electronics are fried" (by us).

* I once rebuilt a 5.0 Ford engine from the block up, & installed it with a 5sp OD & Torsen diff in a 240Z

·
Registered
10 Posts
Greetings. I am considering purchase of used 500e. Trying to determine the relative value delta between cars with remainder of 4yr/50k warranty versus 2013-2015 models whose warranty has expired. It seems the cars are generally reliable with only isolated failures; the most significant of which are covered by the 8yr/100k warranty anyway. While it sounds nice to have a bumper-to-bumper warranty, the reality is that many locales across the United States lack trained technicians. So for buyers outside California and Oregon, is the availability of a nearby technician more important than the remnants of a warranty?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Trying to determine the relative value delta between cars with remainder of 4yr/50k warranty versus 2013-2015 models whose warranty has expired.
My opinion: Finding reliable repair was tricky for any Fiat, 500e's being rarer. I'd say outside of S CA, and maybe Portland OR, finding a dealer that knows 500e's is pretty rare. 2016 has a different BCM, stereo, etc. I think the difference is, do you want a pay-to-learn under warranty, or when you are paying $100 an hour?

Many dealers by now have trained staff for troubleshooting. Propulsion is different, but most of the rest is the same. If you can save a couple grand on purchase, maybe it's worth the gamble?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, "generally reliable with only isolated failures".

The recent horror story could just as easily happen to a gas car, with or without warranty: Unethical service center lying "Sorry, but your warranty doesn't cover this. That'll be $6k". Just like a gas car, you should be able to find honest local service. As map pointed out, besides the maintenance-free, failure-resistant HV Batt/motor/tranny, the rest is pretty standard, although I would personally inform any service personnel that a standard OBD reader may fry it. (confirmation requested).

That said, even though a 500e has much less to go wrong or wear out, & the recent incident may be literally one in a million, I'm now somewhat inclined to break down & pay for my own good OBD reader.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The recent horror story could just as easily happen to a gas car, with or without warranty...
The difference being that any mechanic can repair (or replace) an internal combustion drivetrain with ease, using parts that are readily available. Whereas a 500e has limited support - or none at all.

I agree that an OBD reader (bluetooth dongle + AlfaOBD smartphone app?) is a basic troubleshooting necessity. But it only displays information; it does not fix the problem. So for someone living in an area without a knowledgeable Fiat facility, any malfunction not resolved by "turning it off** and back on again" can be a showstopper. Potentially necessitating a long, costly flatbed ride to a dealership willing to service the 500e.

Looking at used prices, I do not see consistent gap between out-of-warranty and in-warranty models. Everything is higher than it was during "peak buyer's market for 500e" which was probably 2015-2016 when the first waves of cars were coming off-lease and nobody knew what they were.

**If it's being real stubborn, disconnect 12V for 30 seconds too.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The difference being that any mechanic can repair (or replace) an internal combustion drivetrain with ease, using parts that are readily available... Looking at used prices, I do not see consistent gap between out-of-warranty and in-warranty models.
With correct OBD info, any mechanic can repair (or replace) a 500e drivetrain with even more ease (motor has ONE moving part!, no belts, exhaust pipe, fuel lines, etc...). Okay, parts may not yet be as readily available, but should be, pretty soon, since they haven't changed in seven years.

However, if there's not much difference in price, you may as well get one with as much remaining warranty as possible, & if you are concerned about failure, get an extended warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
However, if there's not much difference in price, you may as well get one with as much remaining warranty as possible, & if you are concerned about failure, get an extended warranty.
Thanks for your perspective. You make good points.

Has anyone confirmed the Mopar extended warranty covers the propulsion system? More specifically, has anybody ever reported an instance where their extended warranty replaced a costly propulsion system component such as motor or expensive control unit? I have searched the archive and not found any such cases.

·
Registered
118 Posts
With correct OBD info, any mechanic can repair (or replace) a 500e drivetrain with even more ease (motor has ONE moving part!, no belts, exhaust pipe, fuel lines, etc...). Okay, parts may not yet be as readily available, but should be, pretty soon, since they haven't changed in seven years.

Just to add, since this is a Bosch drivetrain used in other vehicles, I would give Bosch Service Centers a try. In the EU, I know they work on just about every EV out there and are in many cases able to do work on warranty. While you probably have no chance of getting warranty work done in the states, they are probably the closest thing to a nationwide EV repair shop that can diagnose problems and get parts fairly easily.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Before my 2015 500e warranty expired in 2018 with 35,000 miles on the car, I shopped around for an extended warranty that would cover all the nuances of this car. I wanted enough coverage to cover my 4 year California HOV sticker. I got a rate from ChryslerFactoryPlans but my Fiat dealer talked me out of that and beat the price with "The Mechanic" Platinum plan for a 48 month, 50,000 additional miles term and a disappearing deductible. I walked away from the sales staff and I talked to the shop service manager alone about how hard it was to get approvals and payments, and he said no problem. I can use the policy ANYWHERE with a $100 deductible, but if I use it at the shop that sold it, there was NO deductible. At $2265 I figured it was $560 a year to beat. Within a year I had the dreaded front end clunking. They replaced both front struts, swaybar end link assembly and the joust bumper for a cost to the dealer of $1371.58. And I haven't had an expensive electrical problem yet. So I have $900 in repairs left to break even, i'm betting it was a good option for me.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Jesus.
These clowns are employed by Fiat and its overlords. How come they can't answer basic questions?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts