Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't take full credit for this. I had read about this in the MINI forum years ago and used this trick on the rear sunroof in my MINI S. Instead of mounting the transponder to the top of the windshield and spoiling the look of the front end from the outside - mount it to the front or rear underside of your sunroof. Either position will clear when opening, it registers with the toll booth fine and you can't see it from outside of the car. :D

Sky Architecture Roof House Automotive exterior

Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Auto part Mid-size car

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And when I want to close the sunshade....??? Looks like we are back to the front windshield once again...

How dare thee naysayer! The sun shade clears as well! ;)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate dealing with it... paying for it... etc... But unfortunately it's nesessary for my daily commute. :-(

Great idea with the fixed glass roof jbaugher! I hadn't thought of that!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought I might resurrect this thread for the new people - had my EZ pass mounted this way in my Sport, and now again in my Abarth! :D

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
not so useful for a 500c :) mines on the front window behind the mirror - i've seen people paint the outside surface black so with the existing window tint on the 500c (antenna etc) it would disappear...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That's great! Ours is just a sticker about 2x1", so it'll be even easier. I wasn't sure if mounting to the sunroof would work, so mine is on the front windshield per the instructions. But when I eventually apply for my ham plates I'll have to get a new sticker, and it's going on the sunroof. :D

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
That's great! Ours is just a sticker about 2x1", so it'll be even easier. I wasn't sure if mounting to the sunroof would work, so mine is on the front windshield per the instructions. But when I eventually apply for my ham plates I'll have to get a new sticker, and it's going on the sunroof. :D
You mean you can't just go online with the agency that issues the 'sticker' when you get your new license plates and change the plate 'number' and keep the same 'sticker'? Florida state has gone to the 'sticker' but the local toll authority here in Orlando is still using the battery powered windshield mounted transponders, which is what I have. I can logon to the Expressway Agency website and check my balance remaining change the vehicle information (ie Chevy HHR to FIAT 500) or change the 'type' and 'number' of tag I have.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Thought I might resurrect this thread for the new people - had my EZ pass mounted this way in my Sport, and now again in my Abarth! :D
Is that mounted using velcro strips (they are really plastic but work similarly) stuck to the sunroof or did you use some type of double sided tape?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
here in SoCal, we have "FasTrak" for our toll roads. I never did stick the transponder in my window because I found that it fits perfectly inside the square opening behind the from cupholders. It's like it was made for it :)
Oh, and they offer license plate mounted transponder too.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Or plasti-dip it black and hide it in the dots behind the rear view mirror.
I may consider that after I get my sunroof tinted....

Is that mounted using velcro strips (they are really plastic but work similarly) stuck to the sunroof or did you use some type of double sided tape?
I used the supplied stick on Velcro strips that came with the transponder.

here in SoCal, we have "FasTrak" for our toll roads. I never did stick the transponder in my window because I found that it fits perfectly inside the square opening behind the from cupholders. It's like it was made for it :)
Oh, and they offer license plate mounted transponder too.
Hmm.... I wonder if this would work for me. I currently stick my garage door opener in that slot but it would be nice to have another spot to stick the transponder. Especially when I finally get my tint done, I'm going to tint the sunroof so I'd rather not stick anything to that.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You mean you can't just go online with the agency that issues the 'sticker' when you get your new license plates and change the plate 'number' and keep the same 'sticker'? Florida state has gone to the 'sticker' but the local toll authority here in Orlando is still using the battery powered windshield mounted transponders, which is what I have. I can logon to the Expressway Agency website and check my balance remaining change the vehicle information (ie Chevy HHR to FIAT 500) or change the 'type' and 'number' of tag I have.
I know, that would make perfect sense because I can log on and edit my account details, add additional vehicles, etc. But they specifically state that if you change your plates you'll require a new sticker. I'm not going to do it until the 50% off "promo" rate for early-adopters is over (in March, I think).

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
But they specifically state that if you change your plates you'll require a new sticker. I'm not going to do it until the 50% off "promo" rate for early-adopters is over (in March, I think).
Will have have to pay an ADDITIONAL charge for the 'new' sticker THEY require?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will have have to pay an ADDITIONAL charge for the 'new' sticker THEY require?
Kinda like ATM fees huh? Paying your own money to pull out your own money.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts