Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my dealer just got back to me after 4 weeks in the shop. After telling me the HV battery needed to be replaced and it was on order (under warranty), they now tell me the HV battery is not bad, but the electric motor is bad. The electric motor is $6k and $800 to install, and is not under warranty because my car is a 2015 and that part is now out of warranty. The car only has 33,000 miles on it!

Has anyone seen a motor fail on these cars???

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've never heard of a motor failure on one of these cars. What do they say specifically failed in the motor? 3ph AC motors are very simple.

for that price, you can buy a wrecked 500e and pull the motor from it, and also have a full set of electronics and a battery.... I'd personally not pay a dealer for a motor.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,002 Posts
Heck, I've seen complete, functional used electric 500's for nearly that price!

Maybe a couple more miles though, & maybe, just MAYBE, a "failed motor" like they SAY you have, but I too have never ever heard of a motor failure on one of these cars.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Question is... have they already put in the new battery?

I think my first step would be to contact fiatcares and ask them to look into it. A month for a battery fail seems excessive. There was a story posted last about an owner with looooong delays like this. Those folks stepped in, had the car trailered to another dealer, and the situation was resolved 2 days later (I think it was).

I understand they can have problems getting a part, but they may simply have shoved it to the back of the lot. It's even remotely possible they are incompetent on this vehicle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been working with FIAT Cares throughout this process, although they haven't really done anything. After thinking about this some more, I'm not sure the dealership knows how to work on this car. First it was the HV battery and they told me it was on order, which was covered under warranty. Then yesterday the story completely changes to the motor being bad, which is not under warranty. Something doesn't sound right to me. My service adviser told me the tech blew his multi-meter the first week testing the car - how do I really know he didn't cause the problem?

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,002 Posts
That link's story seems more like a software problem, because I wouldn't think motor failure would cause the transmission to shift itself into neutral.

In the 13k miles I've driven my 2013 (now with 23k) it has three times shifted itself from D to N (while stopped), with a warning notice that service is required to correct it. Each time it was fine after I just rebooted it by removing the key until the display went completely black (not just really dark grey). I didn't even have to do a 12V disconnect, which would have been my 2nd thing to try, since that has fixed such errors for myself & others.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I drove to the dealer today to take my car back because I am pretty convinced they don't know what they are doing and find out the car is totally inoperable now. The dealer claims the motor has failed and now the car won't even move. A month ago I dropped the car off and everything worked just fine after a 100 mile drive. My faith is a bit broken right now. I am waiting for FIAT Cares to get back to me.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Wow, what a horror. I have had unrelated parts fail after a servicing, but this is beyond belief, especially on a car just out of warranty. Did they put in the new battery, or did they just leave it disassembled? I was thinking of buying a new 500X in the next 2 years, but this has me wondering.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They never replaced the battery, just let the car sit disassembled. I have no idea how the car could drive and charge perfectly fine while I had it and now the car is dead and the techs had to push it back into a spot. The only word that comes to mind is negligence.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well, I'd think they'd pulled the old "brake special" scam, but they sound incompetent rather than scheming.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or at least ignorance.

Im confused though. You say it ran fine, so:

A) How could it possibility be a "failed motor"!?

B) What made you take it in?
I took it in for PA state inspection. The yellow light was on from the prior owner, which was diagnosed as the telematics module at another dealership. I asked them to confirm the diagnosis and that started the saga. The car drove fine when I took it to the dealer. The first diagnosis was the HV battery, which they "ordered" and they kept telling me they were waiting for it to be shipped from CA. Then something happened in the intervening 3 weeks and I was told it was the motor last Friday. They didn't even tell me the car was no longer running. I showed up to take the car back yesterday morning and no joy. The only thing I can think of is that they don't know how to put the car back together.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Recommend everyone invest in an extended Mopar warranty on these cars. It cost $1200 and is good for 70 thousand miles.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,002 Posts
So almost certainly dealer incompetence, NOT "failed motor".

Mopar warranty might at least cover the damage they do. Still out of a car for over a month, like my last Toyota which actually HAD a failed engine!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So almost certainly dealer incompetence, NOT "failed motor".

Mopar warranty might at least cover the damage they do. Still out of a car for over a month, like my last Toyota which actually HAD a failed engine!
I am hoping the dealer at least owes me a car that drives again because that is what I gave them, but we will see. I fully expect them to deny everything. Problem is, the car won't even drive off their lot. If they refuse to do anything I honestly don't know what I would do, give them the title to the car and say sorry, your problem?

·
Registered
976 Posts
If they refuse to do anything I honestly don't know what I would do, give them the title to the car and say sorry, your problem?
lol They might take the title and one of their bright boys splice whatever part they left out. Let me know, I could use a free 500e. (just kidding)

Seriously, I don't know what you could do. Take the dealer to small claims court? Maybe get on an EV chat group looking for a tinkerer close by??? Donate it to a charity?

I'm still keeping wishful thoughts that Fiat will step up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You should probably contact a lawyer. Whatever you paid for it, expect to sue for that amount. I doubt you will get a fair deal otherwise, or minimally a runaround of excuses.

And what's with the two different diagnosis on an electric car? The thing has an OBD2 port on it that tells you exactly whats wrong with it and there's not a lot of things that go wrong on these cars to begin with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw in another post that FIAT Cares has stepped in before and had the car towed to another dealer. When I asked my rep about this, she asked me if I had another dealer that I liked in the area (mind you this is my first FIAT...). I kind of nicely let her know that I was expecting her to know of another dealer that has expertise with electric cars.

From what I have read, a standard OBDII reader cannot read the 500e and can damage the car, although the port does look like a standard OBDII port. The codes need to be read with a special scanner. The current dealer keeps telling me the codes point to the charging system.

I agree, I may have to sue them in small claims court to get anywhere, but I am hopeful FIAT Cares will step in to at least give me a car back that is driveable. I continue to wait to hear anything.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts