Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive my Fiat @ 110 miles per day and currently have 14,500 miles on it. The past few days I have noticed when I park the car and turn off the ignition, I can hear what I believe to be the fan, continues to run for about another minute. Is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I drive my Fiat @ 110 miles per day and currently have 14,500 miles on it. The past few days I have noticed when I park the car and turn off the ignition, I can hear what I believe to be the fan, continues to run for about another minute. Is this normal?
I hear what sounds like a fan as well but it does not last for more than a few seconds after I shut the car off, a minute or more seems odd but I can at least say the apparent fan noise is common amongst us at the least.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I've had a number of cars where the cooling fan runs after the engine is shut off. as for my 500, I have heard my fan running a couple times, but not very often. its just helps with some additional cooling of the engine after its no longer running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the fan kicking on was not the norm. On my way to work the red flag came on indicating my car was overheating. I ended up taking the car to the shop and had the thermostat replaced. No more fan coming on when I shut off the car.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've had a number of cars where the cooling fan runs after the engine is shut off. as for my 500, I have heard my fan running a couple times, but not very often. its just helps with some additional cooling of the engine after its no longer running.
Same here, I think it is normal.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have a black car, and live in Florida. During the summer the fan turns on and off all the time. It has it's own thermostat

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is interesting because I was wondering why the fan wasn't running after engine shutdown in mine. Being a Fiat I actually expected it and thought they'd maybe taken away that cool touch from new models. My father bought a new Fiat 128 in 1975 and the neighbors would always knock on the door to alert us thinking he'd left the car on! My Stradas did it as well. I'm glad they still have this. On older Fiats the relays would go bad prematurely and the cheap solution was to connect it to the switch for full time operation. Ahhh memories.

·
Registered
588 Posts
And here I thought you had a fan (a person) running at you to ask you questions about your cool FIAT after you parked your car.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ive driven many cars and any of the higher performance cars (Chipped Audi S5, Acura NSX, BMW M6, Lotus Exige, Jaguar XKR, Jag XFR) all have the fans running after being driven for a little while. My Fiat 500 does occasionally run the fans for a few moments after being turned off, but I definitely haven't been at all worried about it.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I've NEVER heard my cooling fan running after shutting off the ignition.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Same here and that goes for the 500hp+/now 662hp monster^^^^^
So...how about a pic of this 662 HP monster we're hearing so much about OST. I'm really curious.

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
^^^I have not put up a pic of the FIAT yet and what's really curious about another car?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
And here I thought you had a fan (a person) running at you to ask you questions about your cool FIAT after you parked your car.

Oh Peip!! Very cute.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I've had cars who's fans come on after shut down... my 1976 Fiat X1/9 comes to mind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts