Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, been reading and tried all or most all suggestions.
2012 fiat pop with starting issues
sometimes it will not turn back on
lights come on
horn works
dashboard lights work
radio
fan
wiper blades
fuel pump
all work

just doesn't start

had the alternator changed
grounding wire changed
battery changed
starter changed
computer updates

tried jump starting it with car and with external jumper battery no go
tried to push start it (clutch) no go
what else besides key and computer can I do ???

·
Registered
976 Posts
+1 on the check engine lights. I might try cleaning the connections under the battery tray, make sure oil isn't low, and possibly check oil pressure (at least 8 PSI at cranking) and/or compression tested. Other than that, it's probably time to have it scanned for errors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no codes no warning lights at all
computer updates were done " at the dealer " at least that's what they said
no check engine light
no starter doesn't even crank up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when anyplace scans for codes no codes show up
when car is towed to service from not starting up it starts up after the tow or at the service station

·
Registered
2013 fiat 500 pop
62 Posts
this may sound stupid put have you tried the 2nd set of keys,maybe the immobilizer kick in from the first set of keys having a weak battery, just saying I don't know if it could happen to a fiat, my son mini cooper s the battery went bad on the first set of keys after 5 yrs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it doesn't sound stupid but the 2nd set of keys i don't know where they are. I thought the immobilizer may have kicked on as well but no light (lock) on . last night tried to swap out the computer to see if anything would happen. the lock light came on and would not work. (i would need to go to the dealer and reprogram the new computer) so I don't think the original computer is the problem. I had a mechanic check the lock ignition and that's not an issue . it is looking like the issue is either the starter or the clutch sensor or a fuse ????

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
If your car, is a automatic. The immobilizer has kick in, you won be able to move the shift lever. Have you checked the new battery for voltage? It should read 12.4 volts. It might be new, they sometimes off the self, bad, or not charged up.

If you changed the alternator, battery, starter etc. It still won’t start. I tow it to the nearest Fiat dealership. If it was at the dealership or some other mechanic, like you said. Why didn’t they get the car started.

Early 2012 models, had a bad starter ground strap issue. Any Fiat service department, would know that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the car is a manual stick clutch the immobilizer light for the alarm is not on.
gears move in and out without any issue
clutch peddle moves freely in and out
when it has been towed each and every time to (when it was in warranty) fiat dealership and every time out of warranty to any mechanic it has always started up and they all have not been able to find any issue.

fiat service department said when they looked at it that it was a grounding issue and they spot welded it to the main frame so it is not that .

had the ground strap issue has been replaced

the fiat is a 2012 I have had this issue before but always worked itself out after getting towed but now it is happening a little more frequently after going over 130,000 miles

·
Registered
2013 fiat 500 pop
62 Posts
Well Mr T, keep us as all posted hope you can find something out soon, there are some good people in this forums with Awesome ideas

·
Registered
2013 fiat 500 pop
62 Posts
I sure under the battery tray there are some ground cables , maybe they are asking you to check them, not sure

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
the car is a manual stick clutch the immobilizer light for the alarm is not on.
gears move in and out without any issue
clutch peddle moves freely in and out
when it has been towed each and every time to (when it was in warranty) fiat dealership and every time out of warranty to any mechanic it has always started up and they all have not been able to find any issue.

fiat service department said when they looked at it that it was a grounding issue and they spot welded it to the main frame so it is not that .

had the ground strap issue has been replaced

the fiat is a 2012 I have had this issue before but always worked itself out after getting towed but now it is happening a little more frequently after going over 130,000 miles
Hello,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent experiences and understand how this could be frustrating. If you are interested in getting additional assistance throughout this process, please do not hesitate reaching out to us privately.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have called your company FIAT and you have not been helpful at all.
opened up a ticket is all that you have been able to do.
as for the dealership they have not been helpful either since they charged me for things that they have not done (simple oil change) or say nothing is wrong with it.

·
Registered
2013 fiat 500 pop
62 Posts
hey T, I may be wrong mine is a 2013 pop and it has some ground cables under the battery tray, sorry I couldn't help you..

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I have called your company FIAT and you have not been helpful at all.
opened up a ticket is all that you have been able to do.
as for the dealership they have not been helpful either since they charged me for things that they have not done (simple oil change) or say nothing is wrong with it.
Hello,
Please know we understand your frustration throughout your situation. If you would like us to take a further look into your case from our end, please privately send us your VIN.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
11 Posts
lights come on
horn works
dashboard lights work
radio
fan
wiper blades
fuel pump
all work

just doesn't start

grounding wire changed
battery changed
starter changed
computer updates

I have the same issue 2012 Sport. I wonder if it’s the switch on the clutch pedal that is failing - seeing as how you have to depress the clutch to start the engine. They did modify (Reduce) the clutch pedal travel due to the recall where the clutchspring was being deformed from too much travel

·
Registered
2 Posts
lights come on
horn works
dashboard lights work
radio
fan
wiper blades
fuel pump
all work

just doesn't start

grounding wire changed
battery changed
starter changed
computer updates

Maybe it’s the ignition coil. I have a 2015 Fiat 500 Pop, sometimes my car seem like it wouldn’t start up but it did and my headlight wouldn’t turn off. I actually had a broken spark plug and I needed a ignition coil. Also, my battery would run down and jump start didn’t help. I have to keep taking my battery back to where I brought it from every 3 to 6 months. Now that I had those problem fix, my light turn off and start right up. However there are a few coils in my car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts