Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is still a little on topics But I thought I would as for the thoughts... What would you take. MINI or Fiat 500?

I think the Fiat 500 has a better interior. Plus all the guys that own MINI's are cry babies! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
With the MINI being made by BMW, all those cry-babies will have lots to cry about when the repair bills start coming in.

Did you know that the transmission cannot be repaired? If something breaks, you have to replace the entire tranny. That's not gonna be cheap!

Cry me a river...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
With the MINI being made by BMW, all those cry-babies will have lots to cry about when the repair bills start coming in.

Did you know that the transmission cannot be repaired? If something breaks, you have to replace the entire tranny. That's not gonna be cheap!

Cry me a river...
I used to own a '04 MCS, so lets get some facts straight here:

MINI's are either really bad or really good when it comes to reliability. Mine was bad so I got rid of it and got a classic Mini instead. Yes repair bills are high if you take it to a dealer but independent shops are fair priced. It is false about not being able to repair a transmission. If a tranny fails in warranty they do replace the whole thing to save on labor and to analyze why it did fail. Customer service does suck and the center stack on the '07+ with radio is extremely confusing and not practical. With that all combined I will not ever own another new MINI again even though when everything is working they are a blast and a half to drive.

That being said,

The 500 Abarth looks like a fun and nice looking car to drive and that is why I am considering it especially if the Essesse model is available. However don't kid yourself about it out performing a factory MCS JCW MINI- it wont happen. Also the MINI/ Mini community of owners are incredibly nice and helpful, more so than any car community I have been apart of, so classifying them as a bunch of "cry babies" is uncalled for and immature- so grow up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Silly debate by people who need to justify their choice. The Mini is a better driving car, and faster to boot. Being lower, and having a more powerful engine helps in those departments. Personally, I prefer the 500's elegant interior over the eccentric mini's which always looks like it's trying too hard to be different. The fact that the 500 (in Canada at least) is a solid $10,000 cheaper for a comparably equipped car makes it a no brainer in my case.

But, I agree with V-tec, no need to slam another car to make yourself feel better about yours. Theirs room for everybody out there (except for the guys driving solo in the Suburban, those guys are fair game).

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I have a friend who owns a Mini. He definitely gets royally toasted by the Mini dealership every time he takes it in. You know you have to worry when they can give you a nice loaner like a Clubman for practically any service.

That being said, the Mini Is a BMW, o.k.? Some people on this forum would be better off with a Mini, because it's made to be driven hard and fast. Whether the Abarth model is up to that standard, we shall see...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've owned an '03 MCS since new.
It's the best car I've ever owned and is still a blast to drive.
Staying away from the dealer is key. I took it in for a cold-start problem and left with a $2,000 list of things they wanted to fix and no solution for the cold-start (fuel pump is most likely cause - MINI has extended the warranty on it).
I changed the power steering hose clamps and replaced the coolant overflow bottle to take care of the $2,000 list...
My car was a bargain when I got it, but MINIs are now too expensive and larger, so I'll be looking at an Abarth 500 when my MINI turns 10.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an '03 MCS Works car for two years and loved it. I sold it because I wanted a change. Since that car I've had an Audi TT 225, a smart car, a Honda S2000, and a Corvette. I'm buying a 500, but am really waiting for the Abarth's release here.

I agree with others - don't slam MINI owners because the two cars are being compared all the time. But I frequent a MINI forum too and they're doing the same thing. They are both fun, stylish, and small. The similarities pretty much end there. I thought about a new Works car, but it came in at $35K...I could have TWO 500's for that. Just too much money and at that price point they are competing with some pretty stiff competition.

I want to slightly mod the 500 (just to personalize it a bit) and just enjoy it for what it is. Leave the MINI owners alone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a MINI Cooper S and it was nothing but problems. I still go on the MINI forums once and a while and see that even new MINI owners are having a slew if mechanical issues. (fuel pumps, oil leaks, ratting engine, engine shutdown while driving, and the list goes on and on) Don't take my word for it, check out the mini forums for yourself but don't say I didn't warn you.

I will happily take a Abarth when they become available for US customers.

No ill-will intended toward mini owners, just the sad truth. And don't forget the price of a mini is expensive compared to a Fiat 500 for what comes standard in the car. Oh and the seats in the Fiat 500 sport are incredible!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I had a 09 Cooper S. Yes, it beats the snot out of my 500 in any objective test, but it spent so much time at the dealership I had to sell it. So far, the 500 has been the more reliable car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
MINI had better be a better car at $6K more than a 500 Sport feature for feature (and that is base MINI, not S). If Abarth comes in at 170HP and $25K it will beat the living snot out of any MINI, regardless of price.

I had a modded MINI S for 8 years. It was a great car, it was a better car in many ways. It needed repairs. It was much more expensive. I am just as happy now with my 500 Sport. I am just chomping at the bit to get an Abarth if they come.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I put a deposit down on our Abarth back in March. One of our cars is a 2006 MINI S (last year of the 1st gen), bought new and has over 121k miles on it. My wife LOVES that car. It's modded and right around 195 hp. That's her car, the Abarth is going to be mine. I have no doubt that hers' will smoke mine but that's fine. We got a good MINI and other than normal maintenance and replacing a clutch, front motor mount, and 2 (!) thermostats (at $500 each), it's been GTG and still looks great. Considering the 15% supercharger reduction pulley, CAI, Militech exhaust, etc, no complaints. We never cared for the 2nd gen MINIs and never considered owning one. Oh, and the people in the MINI club are, as a rule, very nice.

Can't wait!

·
Registered
343 Posts
That's her car, the Abarth is going to be mine. I have no doubt that hers' will smoke mine but that's fine.

I don't know. The Abarth is a lighter car and is going to have, what? 160 HP? Modded, I think it's going to be a close call.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ahhh, but remember, her MINI is a 1st gen new MINI and is pretty light. I helped with the mods on that car... It's pretty darn quick.... enough so you don't want to have the wheels crooked when you launch. The torque steer is wicked and this car has the optional mechanical limited slip and no stupid sunroof. We optioned it for luxury autocross :D. First time I took it out after the major mods, I got snaked by a Trooper on the Dragon going 54 in a 30. :eek: It was worth it!

Now the wait for the Abarth continues. Just as long as it has a manual (a real one), I'll be good. The roads here (and I know many better than the Dragon), are a pure joy between 35-55 mph.

Gonna be fun!:D

·
Registered
614 Posts
I had a MINI Cooper S and it was nothing but problems. I still go on the MINI forums once and a while and see that even new MINI owners are having a slew if mechanical issues. (fuel pumps, oil leaks, ratting engine, engine shutdown while driving, and the list goes on and on) Don't take my word for it, check out the mini forums for yourself but don't say I didn't warn you.
Exactly why I don't own a Mini S today...horror story after horror story, too much particularly when factoring in the price.

I went 500C and saved at least 8K.

Abarth C next year. :D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
a lot of the minis horror stories were from the first couple years of production with the CVT auto tranny. The 05-06 first gen were very reliable. They have gotten high ratings from consumer guide and people on the mini forums will all tell you the later supercharged models were among the best minis made. I was very close to buying an 06 Mini S, I got to demo it for a day and it really is a pleasure to drive. Ive opted to hold off until the abarth comes out. I prefer the look and interior styling of the 500 and its much more comfortable to drive as a DD and 170 HP in a 2350 LB car will be lots of fun...im just REALLy hoping it gets sold with a proper manual transmission..or else Ill have to buy a mini!

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Fiat 500 Abarth only weighs around 2400lbs, and if the HP numbers are accurate (as much as 180hp I've read), against a 200hp, but also several HUNDRED pound heavier MINI it is a good competition. I'd leave it up to the drivers. But, when my Abarth comes in, I can run my friends MCS :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

I have two friends and two relatives that all own Minis, from various model years, and they all seem to be really happy with theirs.

Regards

Pat

PS. Though I always thought the Mini was a nice looking car, somehow it just didn't quite feel right for me, but the 500 did :) so that's why I bought mine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts