Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have had a Smart for a couple years, 2009, and love it. The first time I saw a Fiat, I told my wife it looked like a stretched Smart. Further investigation, I purchased a Fiat 500 Pop with everything except convertible, for $17880. Great price. Everytime we go out in the Smart, people ask about it. Now that we are driving the Fiat, people have started asking about it. I had a guy in a big pick-up pull along side me and gave the thumbs up when I looked at him. Two days ago, as I was waiting at a stop sign, I heard someone honking next to me. I looked at him and he gave the thumbs-up sign. My wife saw this one and got a kick out of it. I never thought it to be possible but I am liking my Fiat more than my Smart. Tomorrow I will have to drive the Smart though, so the battery doesn't go dead.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
I have a smart, and a loaded 500 sport too. The 500 is a much nicer car then the smart. The smart car is just really crude. The only thing the smart does better. Is in the gas milage department.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yay, I traded my 2009 Smart Brabus for my Fiat. I wish I could have kept it along with the Fiat. It's an awesome car but because the Fiat is a 4 seater, it is more practical for me.

Congrats! If you don't want to use your Smart anymore, you can give it to me!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hello, I have had a Smart for a couple years, 2009, and love it. The first time I saw a Fiat, I told my wife it looked like a stretched Smart. Further investigation, I purchased a Fiat 500 Pop with everything except convertible, for $17880. Great price. Everytime we go out in the Smart, people ask about it. Now that we are driving the Fiat, people have started asking about it. I had a guy in a big pick-up pull along side me and gave the thumbs up when I looked at him. Two days ago, as I was waiting at a stop sign, I heard someone honking next to me. I looked at him and he gave the thumbs-up sign. My wife saw this one and got a kick out of it. I never thought it to be possible but I am liking my Fiat more than my Smart. Tomorrow I will have to drive the Smart though, so the battery doesn't go dead.
Congrats! Enjoy the car. I'd be curious to know the reactions from people to the FIAT vs the Smart.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I really dislike the smart car, would be the last on my list. Out of all the sub compact cars out the Fiat 500 is my favorite with the Scion iQ as another option.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I really dislike the smart car, would be the last on my list. Out of all the sub compact cars out the Fiat 500 is my favorite with the Scion iQ as another option.
I hope you like the IQ's 'shiftless' CV transmission. No 'sticks' for the U.S..

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hello, I have had a Smart for a couple years, 2009, and love it. The first time I saw a Fiat, I told my wife it looked like a stretched Smart.
Sorry but it hardly resembles a 'stretched out Smart'. The Fiat 500 is a beautiful execution of automotive design with many thoughtful details. The Smart looks like a crushed can of soda. There is no resemblence at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry but it hardly resembles a 'stretched out Smart'. The Fiat 500 is a beautiful execution of automotive design with many thoughtful details. The Smart looks like a crushed can of soda. There is no resemblence at all.
Obviously, I am not the only one who thinks the Fiat looks like a stretched Smart. My neighbor across the street saw the Fiat and asked if it was the latest model Smart. I am retired and one of my working friends came by to visit. As he left, he said the Fiat looked like the Smart stretched. The Fiat was parked in the driveway behind the Smart. I have found that most people who don't like the Smart don't really know much about them other than what they hear. I have had my Smart for a couple years now and would buy it again in a micro second. The same goes for the Fiat. At this time, I fell I own the two best small cars. FLAME ON!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently sold my 2005 Smart Cabriolet Diesel and I thought it was a great car, especially for topless summer fun and tooting around town. Winter driving was quite scary, to say the least, thanks to the light weight and SWB! I found the mechanicals quite quirky besides it was expensive to maintain... especially when sourcing parts that were available only through the MB dealership.

I find my new 500C much more stable at highway speeds and through crosswinds. Smoother ride for sure. Mine has all the tech goodies that makes driving so much more fun!

As for looks, I get the same thumbs up for the 500C however I think both are unique vehicles that justify the fan following.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Tweak, you didn't get rip off. Most smart owners hate the 500.
No buddy you missed what I was saying...guy I know has a wife with a somewhat new Smart, he saw my 500 and thinking it was a newer model Smart he told me his wife was ripped off and I got a much nicer looking "Smart" car than she got. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tweak, you didn't get rip off. Most smart owners hate the 500.
I traded my HHR in on the Fiat and kept my Smart. I love them both and have to admit I like the Fiat more than the Smart. Still, I won't give up the Smart.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
a lot of ignorant people out there, thinking the 500 is a smart car. they really look nothing alike, other than they're both small. saying the 500 looks like a smart is like saying a Chevy Impala looks like a Dodge Charger....why? the only thing they have in common is that they're both 4 door sedans.

I too used to own a smart...also a 2009. white/black Passion. fun car but like 'smark' said, very crude compared to the 500. for about $1,500 more than I paid for my smart, I got a 500 Sport with Blue & Me hands free, 16" alloys, a REAR seat (sort of), FWD with 4 wheel disc brakes, and a whole bunch of other improvements. what did I lose? 5-6 mpgs. more than a fair swap. also the local smart center was horrible to deal with and the next closest one was over 100 miles away, out of state. they've since closed their doors and merged in the their MB dealership, which could only mean one thing....even HIGHER prices for service and an even WORSE attitude towards some smart owners.

all in all taking into consideration the car and the service I've received from my local FIAT Studio, I'm VERY happy with my 500 Sport. :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't know what mpg the Smart gets, but I get a constant 42 mpg in my Sport, and I can seat 4 if I need to. Welcome!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts