Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My wife has a Jan 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 with manual transmission with about 45,000 miles. This morning she could not get the car into gear after trying to shift from 3rd to 2nd on the road. The clutch pedal was heavy and the car is now stuck in neutral.

I have read on the forums that there is an known issue with the springs breaking on the clutch pressure plate...? Without examining the car in depth the symptoms sound as if our car is experiencing this issue as well.

Does anyone know what the fix entails and the parts required so that I can tell my mechanic exactly what needs doing so he doesn't go off and fit an completely new clutch assembly !

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Where are you located? 1.2 was not sold in North America. If you live in North America, then you may want to get in touch with Fiat corporate and inquire about the recall. If outside of NA, can't tell you what's what on the TSB and/or recall. As for the repair, you basically need the entire clutch assembly - the pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout bearing, all should be replaced while it's open, yes. You don't just replace the pressure plate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

My wife has a Jan 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 with manual transmission with about 45,000 miles. This morning she could not get the car into gear after trying to shift from 3rd to 2nd on the road. The clutch pedal was heavy and the car is now stuck in neutral.

I have read on the forums that there is an known issue with the springs breaking on the clutch pressure plate...? Without examining the car in depth the symptoms sound as if our car is experiencing this issue as well.

Does anyone know what the fix entails and the parts required so that I can tell my mechanic exactly what needs doing so he doesn't go off and fit an completely new clutch assembly !

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m in Australia with same issues . I have an Abarth 2013 but have on the buttons not stick Good luck as here no one knows exactly what is wrong with car . Reverse is the worst car just won’t move . I have seen others post similar advice but unfortunately no one has replied to my post .

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I’m in Australia with same issues . I have an Abarth 2013 but have on the buttons not stick Good luck as here no one knows exactly what is wrong with car . Reverse is the worst car just won’t move . I have seen others post similar advice but unfortunately no one has replied to my post .
What buttons? Can you explain you have and what the problem is? I don’t know how your buttons not stick has the same issue as normal manual transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts