Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone looking to upgrade their flywheel to a lightweight flywheel and wonder how much of a difference there is, should watch the video below!

BTW the 500 in the video sounds pretty sick!

This is a comparison of two Fiat 500s, one with the stock flywheel and one with the lightweight flywheel from Competizione Sport Tuning. You'll notice how much quicker the car with light flywheel revs up. In comparison, the car with the stock flywheel almost seems to labor while revving.

·
Registered
433 Posts
a lighter flywheel is going to hold rpms better also because it has less rotational mass. most people hold off on replacing the flywheel unless they are getting clutch work and considering the 500 has been out half a year, I hope no one needs a new clutch already =P

·
Registered
765 Posts
a lighter flywheel is going to hold rpms better also because it has less rotational mass. most people hold off on replacing the flywheel unless they are getting clutch work and considering the 500 has been out half a year, I hope no one needs a new clutch already =P
wait what? wouldn't lower mass make it not hold RPMs as much? I thought the whole idea was that a lighter flywheel would provide quicker response due to less mass

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Great video

·
Registered
433 Posts
no, a heavier flywheel is going to be subject to greater friction.

weight is the enemy of inertia, newtons first law =)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Why don't you try the demo with both cars in sport mode. Not fair when the lwfw car is in sport mode and the stock flywheel car is in regular mode. Wink

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hehe, Triumph nailed that one. Nice try, guys. While I don't doubt that there's a performance and/or efficiency difference with a lighter flywheel, that video is about as far from proof positive as it could be.

Reactions: Triumph

·
Registered
518 Posts
I own both of the cars in the video. The idea wasn't to show the max rpm the engine will rev to, merely to show acceleration rate. I can tell you that the car with the lwfw is much more fun to drive and launches off the line really well. I've yet to be beat across an intersection with it. If you doubt the validity of the comparison, I suggest you take your laptop out to your car and sit in the drivers' seat with it. Put your car in sport mode or prep it anyway you like, then compare your car to the video.
If you doubt the ability of any engine to rev quicker with a lwfw, you probably don't believe the sun rises in the east either

Reactions: Triumph

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Why is it I see hardly anything listed as products go on the website?

http://stores.csporttuning.com/StoreFront.bok

I don't even see any flywheels listed at all and didn't know if they had a lightened flywheel with the additional counterweights I think are needed for the auto tranny to utilize this type of mod.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I am not saying there is not an improvement. I drove your lwfw white Prima before it belonged to you. There is without a doubt a marked difference from the stock flywheel. With no load it certainly revs up quicker and drops RPMs much quicker. My point was... If you are going to make a demo video... Run both cars in sport mode so that people can see apples and apples. It may have just been an oversight. A person with editing software could even do a split screen video that would be indisputable.

·
Registered
518 Posts
not having the 2nd car in Sport was an oversight, not intentional

·
Registered
65 Posts
The light flywheel could possibly help the engine rev up quicker, if it was significantly lighter. It would slow down quicker for the same reason, which you might feel as roughness or increased vibration. The car might perform better, but with poorer driveability.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

The light flywheel could possibly help the engine rev up quicker, if it was significantly lighter. It would slow down quicker for the same reason, which you might feel as roughness or increased vibration. The car might perform better, but with poorer driveability.
I was wondering about that. I would have thought that I lighter weight flywheel would have less rotational inertia, making it capable of being spun up quicker, but not retaining its rotational momentum as well (as I think Mike_Thinks suggested above). But I guess that Psilo 110's comment about friction kind of seems to make some sense as well. :confused:

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
65 Posts
The weight of the flywheel is bourne by the main bearings in the engine, which are well lubricated. A few pounds of flywheel weight makes no difference in engine friction. It's far overwhelmed by the resistance of pushing the pistons around in the bores.

Ed (Mechanical Engineer)

I was wondering about that. I would have thought that I lighter weight flywheel would have less rotational inertia, making it capable of being spun up quicker, but not retaining its rotational momentum as well (as I think Mike_Thinks suggested above). But I guess that Psilo 110's comment about friction kind of seems to make some sense as well. :confused:

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
518 Posts
there is NO roughness or vibration in the engine. The car is simply more responsive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts