Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sports Car Club of America's B-Spec class is meant to give automakers and racers alike a relatively affordable platform to go racing with machines similar to those available from the factory. While safety and chassis modifications are allowed, engine power is restricted to keep the playing field even.

Honda and Mazda were among the earlier adopters, fielding Fit and Mazda2 B-Spec prototypes respectively. Now, Fiat and Ford are looking into the series, and the automakers tested Fiat 500 and Fiesta B-Spec cars at Michigan's Grattan Raceway last week. Kuno Wittmer and Andy Vrenko piloted the 500 and Fiesta, while Peter Cunningham and Charles Espenlaub represented Honda and Mazda. All cars were equipped with engine restrictors and 100 pounds of ballast, while engineers were on hand to compare lap times between the four cars.

If the formula gains traction among racers, 2012 could be a banner year for American sports car racing, as an entry-level series has long been needed to reinvigorate interest among potential participants.

More: Fiat 500, Ford Fiesta B-Spec Race Cars Undergo Testing on Autoguide.com

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is awesome. When I first read about this series in GRM I thought both the Fiesta and the 500 would be great platforms to add to the mix. I'll admit though, I'm curious why the NA Mini isn't part of this group as well...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm very interested to see how this spec class (which will run within SCCA's Showroom Stock C class, from what I understand) fares ... it should add even more fun and increased car counts to an already interesting class! However, with all due respect, I cannot agree with the comment that "racing has become such an eletist event ..."

Just look around, and you will find club level, low cost racing activities all over the place. A great source, if you are truly interested, is to pick up an issue of Grassroots Motorsports or join your local SCCA chapter. Heck, as one further example, the local Brit car clubs typically let all makes / models run in their auto-x meets around my area, and by and large are some of the nicest folks you can ever hope to meet up with.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I actually have rims like that on my Miata. They do look very cool on some of the more retro-style imports.

Miata I was driving was pretty damaged by mechanic/friend sadly, still sitting there with boo boos, heart breaking cause it is my fav, such a drivers car! :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.