Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both headlights, low beam and high beam, quit working at the same time. Unusual, so I assumed it to be a fuse. Checked the "lights" fuse in the underhood box, it was fine. I inspected the bulbs and low and behold, one had burned out (passenger side). Would this cause both headlights to fail? I find it hard to believe that in this day and age a manufacturer would wire them in series, but it is a Fiat.. any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2013 500
7 Posts
Both headlights, low beam and high beam, quit working at the same time. Unusual, so I assumed it to be a fuse. Checked the "lights" fuse in the underhood box, it was fine. I inspected the bulbs and low and behold, one had burned out (passenger side). Would this cause both headlights to fail? I find it hard to believe that in this day and age a manufacturer would wire them in series, but it is a Fiat.. any thoughts would be appreciated.
Just so you know, the bulbs are not 2 elements for hi and low. There's some sort of "flap" that covers part of the bulb. When you go to hi-beams, the flap gets out of the way and you now have hi-beams. So basically, the bulb is a hi-beam, dimmed by a flap of some sort. Just in case someone tries some BS on you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey everybody, just FYI, I figured it out so I thought I'd share my repair. It could save you a lot of money! So it turns out that my headlamp socket was bad (this is common with the Fiat 500 as the design is crap). Naturally Chrysler being Chrysler, they use a three wire socket instead of a standard two wire. What this means is there isn't an aftermarket three wire socket available and "in theory" you have to purchase the entire headlight assembly (which involves removing the bumper cover, because... Fiat). Anyway what I did is just use a standard doorman part #85813 (two wire). Turns out the two black wires are both ground and both plug into the same post of the socket. I just wired them together, soldered up the new socket, and viola... worked great. Instead of a $200 headlamp assembly it cost me about $10 and twenty minutes of my time!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts